Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual SIM phone - Which way to use both GOMO and Tesco Mobile

Options
  • 08-11-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I currently have a DUAL SIM phone with two Tesco Mobile SIMs - T1 and T2. I have all the apps like WhatsApp linked to T1 + I use data on T1 for Google Maps, Revolut, Emails etc. Also I use T1 for international calls.

I would like to keep T1 as such associated with the above apps and use. But I would like to switch T2 to GoMo and use calls + data from GoMo for accessing all the above apps etc.

Is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

TestLink wrote: »
    I currently have a DUAL SIM phone with two Tesco Mobile SIMs - T1 and T2. I have all the apps like WhatsApp linked to T1 + I use data on T1 for Google Maps, Revolut, Emails etc. Also I use T1 for international calls.

I would like to keep T1 as such associated with the above apps and use. But I would like to switch T2 to GoMo and use calls + data from GoMo for accessing all the above apps etc.

Is this possible?

I have dual sim 1 with Tesco and 1 with GoMo no problem using the data for GoMo it’s excellent but my what’s app is with the same number that ported to GoMo for What’s App as far as I know What’s App is linked to the sim number and if you clicked on the data for just What’s App I could be wrong but unless the number matches it won’t allow you.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭TestLink

So in short the SIM associated with WhatsApp should have the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

So in short the SIM associated with WhatsApp should have the data?

Doesn't matter which sim you use at the data sim. WhatsApp is associated to your phone number

jim salter wrote: »
    Doesn't matter which sim you use at the data sim. WhatsApp is associated to your phone number

So WhatsApp associated with SIM1 could use the data from SIM2. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Unlimited calls, text and data on GoMo as I'm sure your know so why bother with two SIMs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So WhatsApp associated with SIM1 could use the data from SIM2. Right?

Yes, just as the WhatsApp from SIM 1 could use wi-fi networks, roaming networks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Is this possible?

I am using a Vodafone and GoMo SIM in my OnePlus 5 at the moment, and I don't see what the problem in your case would be.

T1 stays the same, associated to all your apps. And the GoMo SIM will work fine alongside it. In my case I've kept my number on Vodafone and use GoMo for calls, texts and data (though I occasionally switch to the Vodafone SIM for data on the fly if I have slower speeds/bad signal with GoMo) and WhatsApp has been working just fine with my original number (on Vodafone).

Using WhatsApp with the T1 number won't be a problem using the GoMo data since it would be the same as using someone's mobile hotspot or WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

I am using a Vodafone and GoMo SIM in my OnePlus 5 at the moment, and I don't see what the problem in your case would be.

T1 stays the same, associated to all your apps. And the GoMo SIM will work fine alongside it. In my case I've kept my number on Vodafone and use GoMo for calls, texts and data (though I occasionally switch to the Vodafone SIM for data on the fly if I have slower speeds/bad signal with GoMo) and WhatsApp has been working just fine with my original number (on Vodafone).

Using WhatsApp with the T1 number won't be a problem using the GoMo data since it would be the same as using someone's mobile hotspot or WiFi

Sounds like a great idea. I've actually been toying with the idea of not porting my Gomo SIM at all . Does this mean you can simultaneously receive calls with both numbers on the phone ? Let's say your Vodafone is pay as you go and you don't top it up, could you still technically receive calls on it and then just reply using the Gomo SIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea. I've actually been toying with the idea of not porting my Gomo SIM at all . Does this mean you can simultaneously receive calls with both numbers on the phone ? Let's say your Vodafone is pay as you go and you don't top it up, could you still technically receive calls on it and then just reply using the Gomo SIM?

Yes you can receive calls for both Sims.

You can call back using either SIM but the other person will see your GoMo number so you might confuse some people.

Sir Dosser wrote: »

You can call back using either SIM but the other person will see your GoMo number so you might confuse some people.

That's marvellous news . I'm not going to port the Gomo SIM then & just inform people I have a second number . Just have to figure out how long a Vodafone SIM stays active without any credit . Maybe throw a fiver on it every 6 months or so .

• Advertisement

How wud GoMo data speed compare with Tescomobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How wud GoMo data speed compare with Tescomobile?

Really depends on area but Three(Tesco) is faster than Eir(Gomo) in most areas.

ED E wrote: »

While on EU roaming which network would be GoMo on?

I used my Vodafone data, while at spain and the data speed was poor.

Ordered GoMo SIM 15 days ago. Till now nothing delivered. Send an amail. No Reply !

Hope this is what I can expect from their customer care! Typical Eir culture...

Depends what country.

Depends what country.

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Tried it last night , works a charm . Cheers!

Cancel request send to GoMo. Very bad customer service.

I wanted to keep my current mobile number, but move to GoMo. For that I waited in chat for around 3 hours and no agent was available for chat. I tried the same 4 days and still was not able to connect to the GoMo support, via chat.

Beware before you switch as GoMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

TestLink wrote:
    I wanted to keep my current mobile number, but move to GoMo. For that I waited in chat for around 3 hours and no agent was available for chat. I tried the same 4 days and still was not able to connect to the GoMo support, via chat.

So why didn't you use the GoMo online facility to initiate the porting of your number?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

ED E wrote: »

Depends on the Tescomobile deal. Some older deals only have 3G data, so the 4G GoMo is certainly an improvement.

Using just the GoMo data on SIM2 for now until Tescomobile credit expires, then will use GoMo for calls, texts and data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

If you add Gomo as second SIM using their number initially could you transfer your own number later if you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

If you add Gomo as second SIM using their number initially could you transfer your own number later if you wanted?

Yes. You can initiate the transfer on-line on the GoMo website for when it suits you.

I wanted to try out the SIM first before I transfer, especially the data speeds in the locations where I use my phone. So far much improved over Tescombile 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I am very interested in this discussion. I have an (unlocked, afaik?) eir in sim 1 and now I have a gomo in sim 2. I haven't ported the gomo, the original 085 number seems to be active. There doesn't seem to be an option on my Ouikitel c12 pro to change the 'preferred' on either sim.
    So,
    1)can I use both as 'active' as I don't want to have to tell everybody about the 085 number.
    2) can I set the gomo exclusivelyfor data?
    3) when I set the gomo on and the eir off I cannot send texts.

Any advice, tricks, etc welcome

BarryM wrote: »
    I am very interested in this discussion. I have an (unlocked, afaik?) eir in sim 1 and now I have a gomo in sim 2. I haven't ported the gomo, the original 085 number seems to be active. There doesn't seem to be an option on my Ouikitel c12 pro to change the 'preferred' on either sim.
    So,
    1)can I use both as 'active' as I don't want to have to tell everybody about the 085 number.
    2) can I set the gomo exclusivelyfor data?
    3) when I set the gomo on and the eir off I cannot send texts.

Any advice, tricks, etc welcome

Similar question for Xiaomi mi 9 lite
    Want : calls , data , messages with Gomo
    Just receiving calls with Vodafone

Only got the phone recently so not sure on the setup for that . Have tested both sims in it & they work .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Generally with a dual SIM android phone...

1. One SIM for data

2. Both SIMs for incoming calls / texts

3. Set which SIM for outgoing calls / texts or ASK each time a call / text is initiated.

SETTINGS > SIM Cards

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Generally with a dual SIM android phone...

1. One SIM for data

2. Both SIMs for incoming calls / texts

3. Set which SIM for outgoing calls / texts or ASK each time a call / text is initiated.

SETTINGS > SIM Cards

Just to clarify my post yesterday.

I have looked at Network and Internet > SIM cards. I can 'see' the two each with with an on/off button.

They both have "Preferred SIM" for Mobile data; Calls; SMS messages. If you tap one of the options it offers 'select the SIM' The data one answers 'may take a minute' for the GoMo

For SMS nothing happens if you select it for the GOMo and the triangle signal for a network is blank, if you only have the GoMo sim switched on. If you put on the 'other' sim the network signal comes on.....

As it happens the two sims have IRL- Meteor with two different numbers, does this matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

SIM names should be editable so better to match each SIM with it's network name (gomo or eir).

A screenshot might help to clarify it better as each phone brand may have different layout for settings.

With both SIMs switched on there should be two signal indicator symbols in the notification area.

Is there any way to disable international calls from GoMo SIM?

Ten Pin wrote: »
    SIM names should be editable so better to match each SIM with it's network name (gomo or eir).

A screenshot might help to clarify it better as each phone brand may have different layout for settings.

With both SIMs switched on there should be two signal indicator symbols in the notification area.

Thanks, I realised, by hitting a button by accident :rolleyes:, that some of the stuff is editable....FFS. User friendly is not a phrase one would use in relation to an Android mobile....:)

I think that, once I have made the choices on the two sims, I can leave both active, afaics, they have to be both 'on' to get the network.

• Advertisement

Any negatives for allowing dual 4g on both SIM cards . Currently testing gomo to carry the load of calls , messages & data . Vodafone second SIM just to receive calls , nothing else . Battery drain with both Sims active all the time ?

Currently have 2 bars for gomo , 4 for Vodafone . Toggled 4g dual SIM & Vodafone went to 2 bars , gomo remained the same . Gomo in slot 1 . Any reasoning behind this . Not particularly bothered if Vodafone goes down as only have it activated in the off chance someone wants to ring old number .

Advertisement