Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillor gets social and housing sorted. Met with protests.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Boggles wrote: »
    They will like fun.

Look up the BER rating of any ex local authority houses and there will be a picture of a penguin eating a cone.

They have done. Not saying they do it every year. They've had plans and carried them out to upgrade windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Unless this has changed, no.
    Change it then. A new contract for new times - to include basic maintenance. Some responsibility on the tenant towards the upkeep of their own long term home. Surely not too much to ask.

recedite wrote: »
    Change it then. A new contract for new times - to include basic maintenance. Some responsibility on the tenant towards the upkeep of their own long term home. Surely not too much to ask.

Boss, that's already in place AFAIK. Unless they changed it, it was standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,683 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They have done. Not saying they do it every year. They've had plans and carried them out to upgrade windows.

They certainly do sometimes when they get a glut of money, but more often than not they don't have the funds. Remember the "ring fenced" LPT that went to Irish water.

The reality is they don't know the state of their stock because the majority are not inspected.

Those that are fail the most basic of standards, this is true in the private market too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I do see the social value, that's why I recognised that exact point...

I disagree.

But if you don't want a tenant to take ownership, then don't let them.
    But don't expect to get the benefits that arose from that part ownership.
    There nothing on the table to tackle those problems either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No the people selling the house didn't invest, they inherited. The taxpayer invested, but lost the investment.
    That's privatisation of a social asset.

Via an inheritance by somebody who already has enough money to live on, comfortably.

Surely the very worst form of capitalism?

Do the people in favor of this policy realise that this was one of Margaret Thatcher's core policy.

How does it feel like, to champion Thatcherism? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

markodaly wrote: »
    Do the people in favor of this policy realise that this was one of Margaret Thatcher's core policy.

How does it feel like, to champion Thatcherism? :eek:

No one here agrees with not having social housing. Or that it was stupid to stop building it. But it's a nice strawman.

Here another. How does it feel to promoting the creation massive crime ridden ghettos as existed in the past, and huge socially deprived no go areas.

Lol...

What is needed is sustainable social and affordable housing as part of all new developments. That's actually enforced. We should look at what's worked in other countries and not just blindly copy it either.

That said people seem be determined to repeat the cycle of the past.

beauf wrote: »
    No one here agrees with not having social housing. Or that it was stupid to stop building it.

The privatization of social housing is being actively supported here.
    That is a Thatcherite policy. If you support it fine, but at least own it.

I actively grew up and was a 'product' of it.

Can't recommend highly enough.

Fair play Maggie, she wasn't a complete Bítch, a stopped clock is right at least twice a day.

That is a Thatcherite policy. If you support it fine, but at least own it.

All property is theft? I hear you're a communist now father? ;)

Fair play Maggie, she wasn't a complete Bítch, a stopped clock is right at least twice a day.

The key flaw in her logic for me was when the economy is booming and markets doing great on the suffering and abject poverty of the general public, she kind of missed the point of her job IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Scoundrel wrote: »
    You're the only one suggesting that Government build housing would be free it has never been free and it never will be it's a nonsense argument given the amount of tax we pay the very least we should be demanding is housing and healthcare.

I made no such suggestion; my reference to a "free forever home" was - as was patently obviously to anyone of average intelligence - ironic. So the only nonsense is that contained in your lame response - in particular in its final clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

that entire second article is about the issue, the entire first one is about a 'homeless activist' turning it down . I gave you exactly what you ask for. I think your post is being intentionally obtuse trying to pretend that this isnt a massive scam by these people for the most part.

Where EXACTLY does it state in either of those articles that the MAJORITY turn down offers of housing which was your statement????

Total BS and you know it. You have NO back up for your statement.

As a direct benifactor of this policy, dare I say you have a vested interest in it.
    And good for your parents and the taxpayer of the time, giving you that leg up.
    However, what has actually transpired is that house, that could be used to house another family was not replaced, thus exasperating the issue. I guess you are against property tax as well. :D

Again, social housing stock is not privatised on the continent, and for for good reason.

So was I a 'product ' of it.
    It's still not a good policy

bubblypop wrote: »

Dare I say its a populist policy.

As a direct benifactor of this policy, dare I say you have a vested interest in it.

You are incorrect.
    And good for your parents and the taxpayer of the time, giving you that leg up.

They were tax payers as now are all their kids. Money used to subsidies your little expensive footprint and give "you that leg up".
    However, what has actually transpired is that house, that could be used to house another family was not replaced,

:confused:

How do you know?
    Again, social housing stock is not privatised on the continent, and for for good reason.

Incorrect. Unsurprisingly.

bubblypop wrote: »

It is a excellent policy which has proven fantastic economic and social benefits.

Your problem is the incompetence and mismanagement of national and local governance.

How do you know?

Because the state has by and large stopped building social housing for the past 30 years. Its the very topic of this thread.

Incorrect. Unsurprisingly.

Really? Tell me, how much of German social housing stock is sold off each year?

Because the state has by and large stopped building social housing for the past 30 years. Its the very topic of this thread.

Yip they privatized it.

In the ludicrous example above given the a developer free land and buying the dwelling at market value.
    Really? Tell me, how much of German social housing stock is sold off each year?

Jesus you are going to wreck your back moving those goalposts lad.
    Again, social housing stock is not privatised on the continent

When did Germany become a continent?

Yip they privatized it.

In the ludicrous example above given the a developer free land and buying the dwelling at market value.

For someone so intent on fact-checking others this is actually incorrect.
    The land was given 'away' in return for

247 Social Housing Units
    247 Cost Rental Units.
    164 Affordable Housing Units at a maximum purchase price of E310,000.
    164 units to be sold privately
    Jesus you are going to wreck your back moving those goalposts lad.

When did Germany become a continent?

So you cannot provide us with any facts about social housing privatisation then.
    I just used Germany as an example, but by all means use Denmark, Austria, Finland, or another EU country of your choice.

• Advertisement

So you cannot provide us with any facts about social housing privatisation then.
    I just used Germany as an example, but by all means use Denmark, Austria, Finland, or another EU country of your choice.

Is Spain in your ever redefined continent?

Do your research lad before making sweeping false statements, articulate a point based on reality and not snobbery and we will have a chat.

Until then. it's Friday stop being so miserable and go enjoy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

selling off social housing, public land or infrastructure should be avoided at all costs.

Is Spain in your ever redefined continent?

Do your research lad before making sweeping false statements, articulate a point based on reality and not snobbery and we will have a chat.

Until then. it's Friday stop being so miserable and go enjoy life.

So, what % of social housing does Spain privatise a year?

All the average tax paying worker can aspire to, within reason, is one day owning his or her own house. The current system makes that impossible for an ever increasing number.
    I don't think it's right for a government to assist in putting that aspiration further out of reach of the average tax payer.

If you work and pay tax all you life it should be towards more than paying rent or subsidised rent for the private profits of an entity welcomed with open arms by the LA's/state with low taxation and their custom.
    Instead the LA's/state should be working in the average tax payers interest, IMO.

It seems unreasonable to expect a company to break even, get by, yet that's what the fortunate working tax payer might expect and is supposed to be happy at that. The unfortunate called spongers looking for a 'foreva' home in some circles, while we dole out grants and subsidies, low taxation to business as par for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did he really sort it? https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/1118/1092533-housing-devaney-gardens/
    Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy has warned an agreement, claimed to have been reached by a group of Dublin city councillors on O'Devaney Gardens, cannot be implemented due to funding and legal concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Oh No! Falafel has now gone down the protected tweets route. Gobsh*te,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Oh No! Falafel has now gone down the protected tweets route. Gobsh*te,

And?? What has this got to do with the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For someone so intent on fact-checking others this is actually incorrect.
    The land was given 'away' in return for

247 Social Housing Units
    247 Cost Rental Units.
    164 Affordable Housing Units at a maximum purchase price of E310,000.
    164 units to be sold privately

That's under the council's deal which Murphy and FG are trying to kill. The deal they want involves no cost rental units at all and 411 privately sold (rip-pff market value) unites. The original development had 278 units of social housing, so that's a loss of 31 units, under the deal FG's government wants to push through by blocking anything else the council comes up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they can magically increase the amount of units, by increasing the density permitted on the site...

• Advertisement

Pretty much sums it up for me.
    'Generation Rent searches for homes as Government invests in corporate welfare'
    The O'Devaney Gardens estate in North Dublin has become the latest political battleground for affordable housing.

Controversial plans to build a mix of social and private housing on O'Devaney through a Public Private Partnership (PPP) were reluctantly agreed in recent weeks by Dublin City Council. But as detailed in the Irish Independent yesterday, the plans are in crisis once more as Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy states there is no funding for proposed affordable rental units.

This shows that, despite all the rhetoric, his Government is ideologically opposed to building genuinely affordable rental and social housing on a major scale on public land. Rather than using our huge public land banks to solve the devastating crisis facing renters and the homeless, instead they are forcing failed PPP policies that hand the land to developers to build mainly private "unaffordable" housing on public land.
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/rory-hearne-generation-rent-searches-for-homes-as-government-invests-in-corporate-welfare-38705066.html

Less private profit in looking after the tax payer, that's the real barrier for FG.

Advertisement