Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just checked my renewal. Last year €89.90, next March €109.90. That's some jump from €69.99 in year one. Cancelled the auto renewal immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They have to pay for all those Disney live action remakes and CGIfest Marvel films and all that Star Wars stuff somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Do you not have the ability to downgrade from the Premium to the Standard Tier to continue to pay €89.90?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭squonk

It’s nuts. If they’re haemorrhaging subscribers they should at least be offering an incentive to loyal customers to stay. I’ll be paying 109.90 for an annual subscription in March next year up from 89.90. Been with them from day 1 constantly so a goodwill gesture of just increasing to 99.90 would be fair I’d think. As is now it’s actually enticing me to just sign up for 2-3 months and watch what I need then. As is I can probably live without a lot of the stuff. Apple have increased subscriptions, Netflix did a while back too. It’s getting to the point I’ll have to sit down again and decide who gets the boot. Of all times to stay below the radar it’s now so well done Disney on overcharging for your mediocre service. €60 at launch was kind of good value but it’s approaching double that now so no thanks. Instead of keeping my goodwill and earning potentially €100 of new, they’re greedy and want €110 from me so I’ll just pay €33 and watch what I want in bulk at a later party of the year. Nice work Disney folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didn't realise that it had jumped to €109.90, I don't think it's worth that so I've just gone ahead and cancelled, I think the first year I had it for was for free thanks to a new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Yea, I cancelled Disney and Netflix. Kept prime and HBOMax.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yikes. When I finish Justified City Primeval, maybe Loki I'll cancel the account. There's rarely anything on this and what there is, as Coulson says, it's just live action remakes and tepid Star Wars or MCU stuff. Andor proving an exception in the tedious porridge of the Disney Star Wars universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's definitely at the point where piracy can meet any desired viewership. Their drip feeding of one show at a time just isn't worth it for the quality. Mainly kept it for the Star Wars content, and that's largely been a miss. Andor and a few episodes of Ashoka aside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used to like the browsing capabilities of the streaming services, sit down, don't know what to watch so you just open the app and scroll until you found something. Disney+ was brilliant when it came out first, all the Star Wars and Marvel, WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO, I filled my boots, now it feels like I've everything watched and I've been burnt out by the Marvel stuff, so much stuff that I gave up on Moon Night after a couple of episodes and didn't bother with Ms Marvel.

I guess if I was into re-watching series there'd be a lot on there, but with Disney+, Netflix, Prime, Paramount and the Player apps it's too diluted and I end up not watching anything. I might re-visit this after the strike of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ms Marvel was actually a lot of fun, but that's besides the point. Some of the Star (Hulu) stuff like Dopesick was pretty decent. I also like the IMAX enhanced layout.

I think it's better value now to just hop month to month from service to service and catch whatever is intriguing you. For example, I'm about to cancel Paramount + as Star Trek Lower Decks is finished and the next Trek will be Prodigy on Netflix sometime next year. Might reactivate Prime as there's a Grand Tour I haven't seen yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Mine still says 89.90 with renewal due in February.

Lucky you. Maybe it’s going up from March? I kept it for the Marvel movies but they’ve turned to absolute dross now so it’s not a holder fir them anymore.

To be honest I never considered a monthly option, must start to get organise. To be brutually honest it's the price point, if it was "just" €99.99 for the year I'd probably let it go for another year, the extra bit just makes me wonder if it's worth it or not, and as I don't re-watch anything I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Not sure really. It's managed via my Google subscriptions so maybe just not updated on that side yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Only reason I'm staying is that I had a wad of 3 mobile credit I need to use up and their monthly payment at least gives me a good way to use it... that and Shudder

Still, it's better value than YouTube's premium monthly charge which is a rip off considering all I want is the no-ads ... don't care about offline viewing

Can't block ads when watching YouTube on FireTV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,180 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I unsubscribed last year. Picked up 3 months at €2 per month in September. The last €2 payment just came out and won’t be renewing for a while

Caught up with some stuff that I like but the catalogue isn’t enough to keep it for the year IMO.

You really have to wonder about their grasp of economics. The service is losing money, fair enough but annoying loyal consumers with a €20 price hike will force them to leave meanwhile others who have left will catch up on what they’ve missed for €6. Why not leave those paying €89 alone and they might stay and stop offering dirt cheap deals for consumers who only want to catch up? No issue with people accepting the €1.99/month for 3 months offer, you’d be mad not to and I’ll be going that direction myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Same.

And I would've stayed if left at €89, but I will leave.

You've inadvertently saved me from a heart attack. I'd seen Google play store take €1.99 out of my Revolut over the weekend and I couldn't think for my life what I was subscribed to at that price. I thought my card might have been compromised. Of course I had signed up to the special price. 🤦‍♂️

From €89.99 to €109.99 makes it a 22% price jump in one year and that is just taking the p1ss for me I won't be renewing.

I will do what I do with Prime and sign up once every couple of months to watch someone that I want to see.

• Advertisement

Again, do you not all have the option to go and switch to the Standard Tier giving :

* Streaming without interruption from ads*

* Supports up to 5.1 audio

* Enjoy in up to 1080P Full HD video**

* Stream on 2 devices at a time

* Downloads on up to 10 devices

Rather than stick with the Premium Tier they decided to opt everyone into on the sly which offers :

* Streaming without interruption from ads***

* Immersive sound with up to Dolby Atmos audio

* Experience in up to 4K UHD & HDR video

* Stream on 4 devices at a time

* Downloads on up to 10 devices

Or is 4k and Atmos a deal breaker for everyone? Or is this tiering not available in Ireland? Or is the price hike and new tiers too galling in and of itself.

You should consider going on holidays.... Bargain Alerts has some great holiday tips for Youtube fans.

YouTube Premium thread SEE OP — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Well really for €90 a year I’d expect Dolby Atmos at this stage and 4K. I could line without it but it’s like this, if there was an awful lot of stuff to watch I’d take the hit and let my system upscale and just go with 1080p but Disney has so fecking little of Ray interest, the big draw was always that if you wanted to watch a Star Wars or marvel thing you got 4k and Dolby Atmos. Honestly the they’re big ticket stuff that is what they are selling themselves in, SD doesn’t cut it. They’re taking the pi$$

Well really for €90 a year I’d expect Dolby Atmos at this stage and 4K.

Unfortunately I think this is no longer the case in this new era of streaming platforms. Doesn't bother me too much given the criteria I use to determine value but I get why it's irking those who do value 4K and Atmos.

Sky still charge for HD in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

This is why is I am still on SD with sky

For those of you hanging around, the recent Indiana Jones film is coming on December 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

unless I'm mistaken I can't use my 3 credit for that? I ain't spending real money on streaming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not for RTE/TV3/TG4/BBC/Ch4 they don't. Nothing else is worth HD

• Advertisement

Advertisement