Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019-2020 Off Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ShyMets wrote: »
    The last two months have been a PR disaster. Baseball really had an opportunity to lift peoples spirits and regain some of the popularity that's its lost.

Sadly they blew it. A golden chance missed. And one they will come to regret

The last two months as you say have been a mess. It's gone from "ah they won't make that mistake again" to "oh Christ maybe they will" to "they are going to mess this up AGAIN."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

The negotiations for the next CBA should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets looking to extend a $250million loan by a year. Despite the franchise being worth over $2.4 bn, inept management and Madoff have forced the team to acquire loans to keep afloat. The loss of revenues this year seems to imply they won't pay off their loan and are asking the bankers to extend it a year
    https://variety.com/2020/sports/news/new-york-mets-loan-1234635823/

A lot of players (Trout, Harper, Scherzer, Alonzo for example) tweeting to Manfred "tell us when and where" putting pressure on MLB. I read somewhere this morning (can't remember whee) that there are between 6-8 owners who would prefer to cancel the season entirely at this stage.

• Advertisement

In hindsight, that 3 state plan that was proposed early on in the discussions probably doesn't look like it would have panned out too well

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1273196451565363200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

A lot of players (Trout, Harper, Scherzer, Alonzo for example) tweeting to Manfred "tell us when and where" putting pressure on MLB. I read somewhere this morning (can't remember whee) that there are between 6-8 owners who would prefer to cancel the season entirely at this stage.

Looking at sports in America in general at times it feels that both the owners and the players in the 3 American team sports are simply obsessed with money and seem to almost view having games almost as an inconvenience.

The PGA tour was back last week without an ounce of trouble for any parties involved in it and yet the parties involved in the other sports are constantly bickering with each other over everything.

Great news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Looking at sports in America in general at times it feels that both the owners and the players in the 3 American team sports are simply obsessed with money and seem to almost view having games almost as an inconvenience.

The PGA tour was back last week without an ounce of trouble for any parties involved in it and yet the parties involved in the other sports are constantly bickering with each other over everything.

Did PGA tour reduce prize money?

Honestly Heyman has been pretty spot on in the past so I think they are close to agreement. MLBPA are just saying that it's not fully agreed.

I see there is a proposal to bring in a universal DH for the 2020 & 2021 season.

But is always struck as slightly nonsensical to have it in on League but not the other

5 Phillies and 3 staff members have tested positive for Covid19.

They've closed their trading facility.

5 Phillies and 3 staff members have tested positive for Covid19.

They've closed their trading facility.

Toronto have shut down their facility too after a player displayed symptoms. This could be the 'get out' clause for baseball is looking for to save face. Postpone the season on health grounds and hope people will forget they were arguing over money.

MLBPA have rejected the latest offer. It’s now up to Manfred to order resumption although apparently he’s not too keen on it.

Looks like game on, in July: https://www.mlb.com/news/major-league-baseball-statement-on-2020

"
    “In view of this rejection, the MLB Clubs have unanimously voted to proceed with the 2020 season under the terms of the March 26th Agreement. The provisions listed above will not be operative.

“In order to produce a schedule with a specific number of games, we are asking that the Players Association provide to us by 5:00 p.m. (ET) tomorrow with two pieces of information. The first is whether players will be able to report to camp within seven days (by July 1st). The second is whether the Players Association will agree on the Operating Manual which contains the health and safety protocols necessary to give us the best opportunity to conduct and complete our regular season and Postseason.”"

Looks like July 1st will be the date for players to report back and 24-26 July for start of regular season. 60 games long but no expanded postseason and possibly no universal DH. Not sure if a 60 game season could be called legitimate but I guess it's probably better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

With more players testing positive and such animosity on both sides, I would not be at all surprised if the season just didn't happen.

boccy23 wrote: »
    With more players testing positive and such animosity on both sides, I would not be at all surprised if the season just didn't happen.

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a big possibility. 3 Rockies tested positive yesterday.

• Advertisement

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be a big possibility. 3 Rockies tested positive yesterday.

Its perfect get out of jail card. Considering how rampant Covid is in some states, scrapping the season might be the best & safest option

And the 2017 Astros were cheaters.

I wonder how much MLB.TV will be for the shortened season. I couldn't see a price on the website. Suppose they're waiting for a schedule to be a finalised.

Hopefully there'll be plenty of day games in the schedule.

Yankees v Nationals to kick things off on July 23 is getting rumoured.

Yankees v Nationals to kick things off on July 23 is getting rumoured.

Not a bad way to kick off the season. A 2pm EST game would fit the bill nicely. But unlikely

Ryan Zimmerman first big name to say he's not playing.

https://twitter.com/CAA_Baseball/status/1277684964667121667

Joe Ross, Mike Leake, and Ian Desmond has also opted out of this season.

I suspect they wont be the last

Although it was inevitable, minor's league baseball officially cancelled.

https://twitter.com/MiLB/status/1278070823203504130

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    Joe Ross, Mike Leake, and Ian Desmond has also opted out of this season.

I suspect they wont be the last

Ian Desmond's instagram piece is worth reading. Not linking it here, it's political, but I highly recommend it.

Advertisement