Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019-2020 Off Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ShyMets wrote: »
    Based on that proposal its difficult to see any agreement being reached

Yeah I agree but I'd say it was just the opening gambit from the owners. They know this proposal won't fly but I think their main objective is to shift the blame onto the players. "Look, Mike Trout is refusing to play for $70,000 a game when people are losing their jobs" etc.

Max Scherzer came out with a fairly strong tweet against it but I suppose he's one of the higher paid players who would lose the most. He did look for more clarity on the financial status of the teams but that's not going to happen.

I think I'm with the players on this battle of 'millionaires vs billionaires'. The argument that the league is going to lose so much revenue this season (while true) doesn't hold up when you consider how much the teams have increased in value over the past decade or so. So one year with a loss on the books doesn't come close to equalling all the the good years. Look at the Marlins, bought for $200m or whatever and sold for $1.2b 15 years later.

To win the PR battle, the players will need to convince the public that the owners' reluctance to open their books to dispute their financial health means they have something to hide but unfortunately I think it's a lost cause and the public will always see the players as the bad guys if the season is cancelled.

Players issue fairly hardball response

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1265876968244940803

This week is the anniversary of two of my favourite MLB clips.

Jose Conseco (1993)

Terry Collins/Tom Hellion (2016)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I have to say the lack of Baseball is starting to bite. First world problems, I know.

I've found myself watching back games from the 80s/90s on youtube. I understand why most players back back then didn't call themselves athletes. Lets just say some of the builds of the players are of more agriculture type

I have to say the lack of Baseball is starting to bite. First world problems, I know.

I've found myself watching back games from the 80s/90s on youtube. I understand why most players back back then didn't call themselves athletes. Lets just say some of the builds of the players are of more agriculture type

I'm putting KBO games on in the background when I'm working from home during the week. Better than nothing.

• Advertisement

I'm putting KBO games on in the background when I'm working from home during the week. Better than nothing.

Is it worth a watch. What is the standard like.

Is it worth a watch. What is the standard like.

It's alright. As I said, better than nothing. The infield defence is a bit shoddy at times. I've seen a few balls fly over the 1st baseman's head on throws from SS/3B.

From reading articles online, they reckon it's around AA standard but when you have AA pitching going against AA hitting, it cancels out so it's like watching any game really. As I said I just stick it on with the sound down low while I'm working so I'm not following it too closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

How did I miss the story about A-Rod and J-Lo potentially becoming part owners of the Mets!?

How did I miss the story about A-Rod and J-Lo potentially becoming part owners of the Mets!?

I had hoped it was joke. But alas no. Reading about it, 'sources' seem quietly confident then can pull it off. The Wilpons finances, which were always dicey, have taken a battering because of Covid and they're looking for a quick sale.

Stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Right but surely their just the face of the bid and not overall owners??

Who's backing them??

• Advertisement

Senior bankers at JP Morgan Chase apparently.

Senior bankers at JP Morgan Chase apparently.

I was wondering, i know they'd be wealthy but didn't think their combined fortune would come anywhere near the value of the Mets

I was wondering, i know they'd be wealthy but didn't think their combined fortune would come anywhere near the value of the Mets

It’d be similar to Jeter buying into Marlins.

I completely forgot Chris Archer is with the Pirates now

I completely forgot Chris Archer is with the Pirates now

Age has caught up with me so my memory has gone to pot so by the time the season usually starts, I've forgotten a lot of the signings from the off-season and find myself getting getting surprised on a number of occasions each April when I see players on teams I'd forgotten they'd signed with.

The owners have rejected the players' 114 game season with no counter offer. Where do we go from here?

114 was never going to work, especially if they only start in early July. The World Series wouldn't be until mid November at that rate. I hate seeing World Series games when the players are all wrapped up like they're at the North Pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

New proposal from owners, 76 game season, 16 teams in the playoffs, but a salary cut for all intents and purposes. I expect it won't fly with the players.

https://apnews.com/d5e605e472d97a294f46f47e966ae065?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

Igotadose wrote: »
    New proposal from owners, 76 game season, 16 teams in the playoffs, but a salary cut for all intents and purposes. I expect it won't fly with the players.

https://apnews.com/d5e605e472d97a294f46f47e966ae065?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

The mood music from the Players Union isn't too good. I'm honestly baffled how the two sides cant cobble something together

The mood music from the Players Union isn't too good. I'm honestly baffled how the two sides cant cobble something together

I'm baffled there's nothing in the CBA about a situation like this - I believe both NHL and NBA have a force majeure clause in their agreeements.

It's like a game of tennis now. The union has now proposed an 89 game season with expanded playoffs. They're both just throwing number of games at each other.

• Advertisement

It's like a game of tennis now. The union has now proposed an 89 game season with expanded playoffs. They're both just throwing number of games at each other.

That's already been shot down by the owners.

MLB seem adamant that the regular season won't go into October so the longer this goes on, the less games we're going to get.

MLB seem adamant that the regular season won't go into October so the longer this goes on, the less games we're going to get.

How about they just throw alot of random numbers in a hat. Then select someone independent to pick a number out. Whatever number picked is the number of games played.

Simples:)

How about they just throw alot of random numbers in a hat. Then select someone independent to pick a number out. Whatever number picked is the number of games played.

Simples:)

72 games with 80-85% of salary the latest offer from the owners being rumoured.

72 games with 80-85% of salary the latest offer from the owners being rumoured.

80-85% of the pro-rated salary that is.

Rob Manfred has said there will be baseball this year, so I think if nothing is agreed in the next couple of days he will mandate the agreement (he has the power to do so apparently).

80-85% of the pro-rated salary that is.

Rob Manfred has said there will be baseball this year, so I think if nothing is agreed in the next couple of days he will mandate the agreement (he has the power to do so apparently).

Sorry, yeah I meant pro-rated.

MLBPA have the rejected the latest offer and have stated they wouldn't be sending back a counter offer.

Tony Clark has asked the MLB to set the schedule

Yeah not looking at all. Particularly given that the current CBA runs out at the end of the 2021 season.

Not great timing for the owners pleading poverty, but TBS/MLB announced an agreement for broadcast of the ALCS/NLCS and 2 DS from 2022 til 2028 for $470 million per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MLB commissioner has said he’s not 100% sure there will be a 2020 season. I mean how many times can baseball shoot itself in the foot and expect fans to keep coming back.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    MLB commissioner has said he’s not 100% sure there will be a 2020 season. I mean how many times can baseball shoot itself in the foot and expect fans to keep coming back.

The last two months have been a PR disaster. Baseball really had an opportunity to lift peoples spirits and regain some of the popularity that's its lost.

Sadly they blew it. A golden chance missed. And one they will come to regret

Advertisement