Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭No again Danni

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    It’s called..........backfired!

So abuse online and putting someone in fear is justified as long as random people online say so?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

So abuse online and putting someone in fear is justified as long as random people online say so?

Its not right, but the world has always been full of crazies and she is reaping what she sewed.

Its hard to have sympathy when its all brought on by her own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

in fear of what? what threats were made to her?

To be fair, there are lots of crazies out there. It just takes one to follow through. Id personally ignore them but I can imagine fear being realistic.

Whether her fear is genuine is debatable.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    To be fair, there are lots of crazies out there. It just takes one to follow through. Id personally ignore them but I can imagine fear being realistic.

Whether her fear is genuine is debatable.

but actual threats were made to her?

• Advertisement

“I had letters, I had phone calls of abuse, some disgusting stuff sent to me in the post.

“Threatening stuff, people telling me to jump off a cliff,” she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

“I had letters, I had phone calls of abuse, some disgusting stuff sent to me in the post.

All that would be for a judge to adjudicate on.

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    If she had drink taken and was holding more drink in her hand as she fell off the swing then why did she try to sue the pub?

She said she only wanted to get her costs, and when quizzed admitted to having heath insurance to cover any costs. This was a fraudulent shake down!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

She said she only wanted to get her costs, and when quizzed admitted to having heath insurance to cover any costs. This was a fraudulent shake down!

Plus the hotel already agreed to cover her costs, yet her legal action against them was still pending because her legal advice said she had a case against the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Penn wrote: »
    Plus the hotel already agreed to cover her costs, yet her legal action against them was still pending because her legal advice said she had a case against the hotel.

.....but she wasn’t properly trained in the use of the swing.....

• Advertisement

Its not right, but its part and parcel of being a public figure.

Whats funny is that had she not made this recent interview and just went into obscurity, no one would be commenting on her today.

Again, she did the interview and made some bad choice sin her answers IMO. So any criticism shes getting is her own doing. Only has herself to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness people telling you to jump off a cliff isn’t threatening. Also I wouldn’t believe what she’s saying because in this she has shown that she wants to play the victim card whilst actually she was the cause of the whole story.
    She put her self in the public eye in her choice of career it blew up through her own stupidity and choices and then she wants to be the victim.

people saying they will push off a cliff is a threat. someone telling you to jump off a cliff isn't.

Penn wrote: »
    All that would be for a judge to adjudicate on.

Yea she could try to have it stopped but then again shes been communicated to and people online were amping each other up that she 'deserves scorn'.

Im not saying she didn't deserve the sack. I'm not saying she didnt deserve to be criticized but the level of it was too much imo and should be highlighted as it has happened before where there have been tragic consequences.

Yea she could try to have it stopped but then again shes been communicated to and people online were amping each other up that she 'deserves scorn'.

Im not saying she didn't deserve the sack. I'm not saying she didnt deserve to be criticized but the level of it was too much imo and should be highlighted as it has happened before where there have been tragic consequences.

she did deserve scorn. she is an arm-chancing ghoul.

people saying they will push off a cliff is a threat. someone telling you to jump off a cliff isn't.

Technically no.

But saying that to someone and repetitive and consistent abuse towards someone with no real filter when they're at a low point would have a very negative effect on that person.

Technically no.

But saying that to someone and repetitive and consistent abuse towards someone with no real filter when they're at a low point would have a very negative effect on that person.

so not threats against her then. glad we cleared that up.

Technically no.

But again, its all her own doing. She is a public figure, she knew what the game was before she got involved and judging by her interview, she still is playing the game.

Zero sympathy. Ya act the goat in public and fail, **** will bite you is the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's completely public these days. Years ago you'd read the news and maybe make a comment to your family, friends etc about it. I have no doubt people would say the things they said online about her but in privacy. She wouldn't hear or read that and wouldn't hear it repetitively for months on end thousands of times from different individuals. Also she said she was contacted directly!!

These things online encourage hateful obsessive over the top behaviors where people get locked into a debate/argument that realistically they wouldn't have been that passionate about otherwise or if they were that interested, they would have taken more constructive actions about it like using their vote better etc.

Caroline Flack was arrested for assault which was part of the knock on effect that led to her tragic circumstances. She lost her job temporarily and was saying that she couldn't handle the constant public scrutiny. I can see why she'd make that comparison.

Maria Bailey is justified in saying that she felt abused and fearful by the reactions she was getting. I would imagine that she did.

Public figures are open to the court of public opinion. If they engage in odd or antisocial behaviour people will comment.
    Flack assaulted her partner and had a break down. I would expect folk were looking for an issue to combat the #metoo movement and picked on her because she was female. It was unfortunate and sad.
    Bailey is a complete chancer. I hope she gets help for any vulnerability she may feel but that's the price she is paying for trying to commit fraud in such an arrogant manner. Getting drunk and deciding to sue and lie, wasn't some external health issue, it was greed and arrogance. I would not compare the two women.

Well i guess it just proves my point. Where I wanted to actually discuss the topic she highlighted and about the level of abuse she received whether or not she was right or wrong, people are more concerned with looking for more negatives and focus on the deserved 'scorn' of Maria Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Sean. Sean. Sean. That is for a judge to adjudicate.

Never gets old.

Enjoyed that. Thanks.
    It never gets old.

Well i guess it just proves my point. Where I wanted to actually discuss the topic she highlighted and about the level of abuse she received whether or not she was right or wrong, people are more concerned with looking for more negatives and focus on the deserved 'scorn' of Maria Bailey.

Well Im discussing her recent interview. The thread isnt exclusive for that topic of social media abuse.

Her actions had the potential to impact a lot of people. When chancers like her try to make fraudulent insurance claims, it affects me.

Im angry at people like her. far too many in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭thebourke

i wonder did she ever get the training completed on how to use a swing....i was in the park the other day and saw some children using swings...they were using both hands to hold onto the swing...maybe they can show maria how to use it if she has time?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Just on the level of abuse - to be fair I'd call it more "slagging" she rightly became a laughing stock due to her own stupidity, and arrogance in a radio interview on a prime time show.

She should have said - "Sean Sean Sean, it was a bad idea, and In hindsight I received advice that I should have chased this hotel for reimbursement, blah blah blah now see I that wasn't good advice, I'm entirely sorry and regret going down the legal avenue"

As for "threats" obviously should never be condoned, but has it been established she received any threats, and what constitutes a threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭McFly85

People aren’t looking for negatives to focus on. They would like answers from Maria as to why her claim wasn’t fraudulent. And this will be continually brought up as long as she’s looking to remain in the public eye.

Regarding the abuse, it’s difficult to quantify. I and others have said she is putting everything from mild jokes to death threats under the umbrella of abuse. From Twitter I can see the vast majority make fun of her, some are angry as she attempted fraud, neither is really abuse.

If she is getting death threats, she should absolutely be able to bring these to the guards and/or name and shame, I think she would have public support with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Because many feel she's looking for an angle to redeem herself and return to public office, based on her own words.
    Your point seems to be people can have adverse affects from online abuse. Agreed. If you want to equate Bailey's interview to that, maybe pick a less arrogant chancer.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Just on the level of abuse - to be fair I'd call it more "slagging" she rightly became a laughing stock due to her own stupidity, and arrogance in a radio interview on a prime time show.

She should have said - "Sean Sean Sean, it was a bad idea, and In hindsight I received advice that I should have chased this hotel for reimbursement, blah blah blah now see I that wasn't good advice, I'm entirely sorry and regret going down the legal avenue"

As for "threats" obviously should never be condoned, but has it been established she received any threats, and what constitutes a threat?

Yes that is exactly what she should have said.

Seems it just spiralled out of control from there.

By law I don't know but realistically by she what she described and some of the things I saw posted about her, I believe that she would have been fearful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You can decide something proves your point but that won’t make it so. You can think that someone telling you to jump off a cliff is a threat but again that won’t make it so. She brought a heap of trouble on herself and wants to be the victim in it.
    Nobody should be threatened online or elsewhere but you’ll I’m sure excuse us all if we’re sceptical of whether she’s telling the truth as history suggests that she’s just playing the victim.
    This was all but forgotten about and she could go get another job but she presumably feels she’s done her time and she should now be allowed jump back into public life and have us all forget that she couldn’t do what a small child knows to do and then tried to scam money out of a business for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes that is exactly what she should have said.

Seems it just spiralled out of control from there.

By law I don't know but realistically by she what she described and some of the things I saw posted about her, I believe that she would have been fearful.

You believe a woman who claimed she needed instructions and supervision on how to operate a swing, and who said she couldn't run "at all for 3 months" but in actual fact was running close to her personal best 3 weeks later?

Do you think Maria might be careless with the truth?

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    You believe a woman who claimed she needed instructions and supervision on how to operate a swing, and who said she couldn't run "at all for 3 months" but in actual fact was running close to her personal best 3 weeks later?

Do you think Maria might be careless with the truth?

Im not questioning her morals.

Im saying that i saw some of the level of abuse she received myself over it and I see some people justifying that abuse because she 'deserves scorn'.

I think I've made clear my opinion so I'll just leave it at that.

Advertisement