Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish names.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

If it's a choice between Liam or Willy, I know which I'd pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Is Liam actually short for William? I thought it was just a name on it's own.

Honestly that's a bit unfair. That means people named William get way more than the average options for what to be called.

Besides the full name you have Will, Willy, Bill, Billy, and now Liam. That's 6.

I've a son called William, that's one of the reasons I liked the name, all the possible variations! When I was pregnant I thought he might be a Billy, but I've never once called him that. He's Willam, Will, Wills, Willster, Wilfred, Wilbert, the list goes on. (And Liam to his grandfather sometimes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Much worse is when people insist on using the Irish form of your name when it's not your name.
    Obviously the school system insisted on doing it from time to time but to this day people I have known for years still use the wrong name when addressing me.
    You get used to it but it's annoying when you think about it.

Sorry Ciarán.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Whatever it is his name shouldn't really be viewed as a 'planter surname' in this day and age, it's only really in the North that there's baggage attached to such stuff, there's loads of people in the North West of England with no recent Irish heritage or connections that have surnames from the Famine.

Has he told you he's changing his moniker to sound 'more Irish'? Maybe it's just an easier one-syllable name for dealing with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dd973 wrote: »
    Whatever it is his name shouldn't really be viewed as a 'planter surname' in this day and age, it's only really in the North that there's baggage attached to such stuff, there's loads of people in the North West of England with no recent Irish heritage or connections that have surnames from the Famine.

Has he told you he's changing his moniker to sound 'more Irish'? Maybe it's just an easier one-syllable name for dealing with the public.
    Of there's still planter's surnames, take names like Bell , Loftus, Rutherford, Hastings or Featherstone. These names are as English as John Bull himself.

A true Gael would have a Mac or an O' in front of his name as Gaeilge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

My surname originated in Scotland but my first name is very Irish.

Therefore by your logic, OP, does that mean that my name is a really a sham borne of my parents’ insecurities about being truly Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Everyone has four grandparents, 8 great grandparents and so on, all with different surnames. The surname you wind up with is largely down to random chance. All William/Liam's surname actually says about his cultural background is that his father's, father's, father's, father might have been English. It's a pedantic thing to get your knickers in a twist over OP. Go out and get some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

A young fella I know through work called William has recently renamed himself Liam, we were all given a speech about it by him beforehand, 'this is how I want to be referred to as going forward."

His surname is as English as you could get, there's not even an Irish version of it. 'Black prod' as we'd say down in Tipp. I won't say what it is because I don't want to potentially identity this kid, he's only 21.

I just find it it so sad that he feels that he has to do this to fit in Ireland. He should be proud of his ancient English heritage. It's not his fault he was born into a planter family from centuries ago.

I'd be more concerned that you think of anybody as a "black Prod". Still I suppose any group of people who elect the likes of , Lowry, Kelly and Mc Grath has to be a little deficient in the intelligence department

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In regards regional names

Are 'Boland' and 'Brogan' Dublin names ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I want him to be proud of his Anglo Saxon heritage not ashamed of it. Not switching his name to Liam to try and fit in.

What you want for him is fairly irrelevant mo chara. Has he told you his motivations for changing his name or are you guessing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Seen it plenty of times before. Out and proud Irish people that despise their proddy surname and cover it up with a Gaelic first name and an extra fada to be sure.

They don't fool me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm not some sort of anti English ra head. I despise Republicans.

All I'm saying here is that we should all be proud of our hertigage and our family names. No kid should feel that he has to change his name to feel more 'Irish'.

He himself told me that this was the reason.

It is a basic courrtesy to call people and places by the name by which they wish to be known. After that, why should anyone give a s**t what they call themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Dog Murphy wrote: »
    So you think we should be proud of our heritage yet you despise the republican movement in this country which led to us being able to have our own independent country here in Ireland and not having to be ashamed of our own heritage to sit our imperial overlords.

in fairness the word republican covers a multitude in Ireland. While it strictly means government of the people by the people OP is possibly referring to so-called republicans who at diferent times flouted the will of the people as expressed at the ballot box. You will find the same perversion of the word elsewhere, e.g. Mugabe's Zimbabwe, Pinochet's Chile etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Elemonator wrote: »
    Well if I was called William I would want to be called Liam too...

E-LIAM-onator it is from now on, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In regards regional names

Are 'Boland' and 'Brogan' Dublin names ?
    Somewhat. If you want to be a bit scientific, check various phone books. https://www.eirphonebook.ie/

Advertisement