Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish names.

Options
  • 27-10-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

A young fella I know through work called William has recently renamed himself Liam, we were all given a speech about it by him beforehand, 'this is how I want to be referred to as going forward."

His surname is as English as you could get, there's not even an Irish version of it. 'Black prod' as we'd say down in Tipp. I won't say what it is because I don't want to potentially identity this kid, he's only 21.

I just find it it so sad that he feels that he has to do this to fit in Ireland. He should be proud of his ancient English heritage. It's not his fault he was born into a planter family from centuries ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A young fella I know through work called William has recently renamed himself Liam, we were all given a speech about it by him beforehand, 'this is how I want to be referred to as going forward."

His surname is as English as you could get, there's not even an Irish version of it. 'Black prod' as we'd say down in Tipp. I won't say what it is because I don't want to potentially identity this kid, he's only 21.

I just find it it so sad that he feels that he has to do this to fit in Ireland. He should be proud of his ancient English heritage. It's not his fault he was born into a planter family from centuries ago.

Liam , 21 from Tipperary, if you're out there , please contact customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,661 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's better than Will I Am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Guy named fiachra was forever called fiacla by someone else. The funny part was that it was always a genuine mistake, he'd be corrected then minutes later be calling him fiacla again. Drove your man mad for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So he wants to be called Liam but you think he should be called William because that's what's on his birth cert? Maybe you're the one with the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

To be honest I'd be more worried that he's using the phrase "going forward." Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much worse is when people insist on using the Irish form of your name when it's not your name.
    Obviously the school system insisted on doing it from time to time but to this day people I have known for years still use the wrong name when addressing me.
    You get used to it but it's annoying when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Pity that lad's surname wasn't Power.
    Then he'd be Will Power!!

It couldn't be Power though as it's a French name that means poor.

What?? Ah yea I'll close the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

So he wants to be called Liam but you think he should be called William because that's what's on his birth cert? Maybe you're the one with the problem...

I want him to be proud of his Anglo Saxon heritage not ashamed of it. Not switching his name to Liam to try and fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Maybe he just likes Liam better than William.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Maybe he's just sick of being called a dick.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Well if I was called William I would want to be called Liam too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I want him to be proud of his Anglo Saxon heritage not ashamed of it. Not switching his name to Liam to try and fit in.
    Maybe he doesn't feel like an Anglo-Saxon. Anyway, William isn't an Anglo-Saxon name. It was came to England with the Norman Conquest, William the Conqueror and all that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

There's an Australian IndyCar driver called Will Power: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Power?wprov=sfla1

Slap my arse and call me Sally for all I care for

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Collie D wrote: »
    Maybe he just likes Liam better than William.
    It's better than Will I Am.

Will.I.Amn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭pgj2015

he should change both his names to max power.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

His surname is as English as you could get, there's not even an Irish version of it. 'Black prod' as we'd say down in Tipp.
    If he does his job to an OK standard and he can be identified when people are looking for him, who cares what his name, surname, religion or other characteristics are?

Now, about your bigotry, do you think it's OK to voice it in the workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't go by my birth name either cause its rotten. I use another name altogether, have done for years. Would you have a problem with that too OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't go by my birth name either cause its rotten.

That's a weird name. No wonder you changed it.

• Advertisement

id say the op would have major problems with Irish people calling their kids Rihanna,Britney, Brax, cody. and any other celeb and home and away names "some people" call their Irish kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

It couldn't be Power though as it's a French name that means poor.

What?? Ah yea I'll close the door.

I knew a Father Clint Power...

Maybe he's having a go at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Is Liam actually short for William? I thought it was just a name on it's own.

Honestly that's a bit unfair. That means people named William get way more than the average options for what to be called.

Besides the full name you have Will, Willy, Bill, Billy, and now Liam. That's 6.

Anyway, OP pretty sure the real issue isn't that you feel bad that he has to change his name to fit in (which he doesn't, at all) or isn't proud of his anglo saxon whatever. You're just annoyed that a guy with English roots is using an Irish name. Just like the yokels here get all snarky about yanks who say they're Irish.

People in this country are very protective of their culchie cred and hate to think of it being pilfered, get over yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If he tells ya to call him Liam, call him Liam.

If he tells ya to call him Wilma and to use feminine pronouns for him, do it.

But please don't let him go into the wimmin's toilets, no matter what he calls himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm not some sort of anti English ra head. I despise Republicans.

All I'm saying here is that we should all be proud of our hertigage and our family names. No kid should feel that he has to change his name to feel more 'Irish'.

He himself told me that this was the reason.

Id say you will look back at your life on your death bed and be glad you spent time worrying about a work colleague who changed his first name because he wanted to seem more Irish and fit in better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's a weird name. No wonder you changed it.
    Just ask John Lydon what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I went to school with a lad called Peter Ramsbottom. He hated his name so much, he had it changed when he reached 18. He's now known as John Ramsbottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

I'm not some sort of anti English ra head. I despise Republicans.

All I'm saying here is that we should all be proud of our hertigage and our family names. No kid should feel that he has to change his name to feel more 'Irish'.

He himself told me that this was the reason.

So you think we should be proud of our heritage yet you despise the republican movement in this country which led to us being able to have our own independent country here in Ireland and not having to be ashamed of our own heritage to sit our imperial overlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

My two young fellas have Irish names. Not the really obscure ones being given to kids in South Dublin from parents with planter surnames and a fragile sense of identity. Just the type of decent and no nonsense names people always gave their kids.

You’re much more likely to buy a house from, or give a vote to, a lad called Séan, as opposed to a Wayne, Daryl, or Jason.

Advertisement