Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"boycott Always sanitary towels for removing the Venus logo"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Fair enough — but I don't think it's fair to represent feminists simply as tools used by a broader postmodern movement. Hélène Cixous, Luce Irigaray, Julia Kristeva, etc., were important instigators of the poststructuralist movement that led to where we are today. You already mentioned the attack on the literary canon, which I agree is important — especially given that the most prominent of its remaining defenders, Harold Bloom, died last week — because the poststructuralists figured out that if you can dismantle a culture's literature, you can go a long way to destroying its values. Feminists eagerly participated in the destruction of the literary canon as well.

Yes okay perhaps some were rather initiators or causes rather than tools. Certainly Judith Butler in the case of trans. I just think a lot of people did not have the larger picture vision and were blindly excited by the punk style breaking up of the world. Anyways Im not an expert, just an observer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ha sure.

Okay, so you don’t know that. Spend more time with real life women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Gynoid wrote: »
    Yes okay perhaps some were rather initiators or causes rather than tools. Certainly Judith Butler in the case of trans. I just think a lot of people did not have the larger picture vision and were blindly excited by the punk style breaking up of the world. Anyways Im not an expert, just an observer

There was definitely a punk-rock aspect to it, a desire to tear apart the patriarchal, capitalist, traditional world order. That said, I don't think academics such as Derrida and Foucault ever expected to have the impact that they did — but it has snowballed over decades, and things have definitely gotten out of control now.

I don't think anyone would disagree that excellent female writers and writers of colour should be included in the literary canon. But that's different from deconstructing the canon entirely so that college students can get the same credit for a course on comic books as they get from one on Shakespeare.

Similarly, every right-minded person should support gender equality. Men and women should have the same rights and responsibilities. But that's different from deconstructing gender entirely, arguing that there is no "essential" quality to being a man or a woman, and proposing that anyone can identify as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The whole thing strikes me as similar to the Gillette campaign a few weeks back, and the backlash that happened afterwards. The same company, Procter and Gamble, that manufactures Gillette products, also manufactures Always products. They’re recognising that if they want to continue to make profits, they have to expand their target market, and that’s why as far as I can see they’re now marketing their products (both male and female products) towards new potential customers.

I don’t imagine their motives are all that much about social justice, inclusion and diversity, it’s simply about increasing their market share and increasing their profits. They may lose a few customers who are willing to boycott their products, but they’re banking on gaining many more new customers loyal to their brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We're moving towards the end of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Antares35 wrote: »
    Is it women who identify as men so therefore still menstruate or something? I dunno, I got a headache trying to figure it out. Minus fun. I'll boycott them in a few months when I actually need to use them again! Or, I just won't care or remember by then :D

Yeah I think that’s it. To be honest I’d guess that this has been driven by one sad lonely and pathetic transgender person with absolutely nothing going on in their sad little life other than examining labels on products to see if they can find something to be outraged about. They’re angry at the world and see this type of nonsense as some kind of release.

What makes it really sad is the Always or whatever company makes them were swayed by it and removed a logo.

It would be safe to assume that the percentage of people who use the products but don’t identify as female is absolutely minuscule.

The world is well and truely fûcked when this kind of rubbish drives actions like the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I don’t imagine their motives are all that much about social justice, inclusion and diversity, it’s simply about increasing their market share and increasing their profits. They may lose a few customers who are willing to boycott their products, but they’re banking on gaining many more new customers loyal to their brands.
    Jillette's woke “toxic masculinity” advert coincided with P&G’s $8 billion non-cash writedown. They also displayed grand hypocrisy, applying a 'pink tax' levered on lady razors which don't really cost any more to make thank mens.

Think it's fair to say, companies such as these, have their heads up their own holes. They will likely continue to suffer further boycotts and profit drops. They will loose more customers than gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jillette's woke “toxic masculinity” advert coincided with P&G’s $8 billion non-cash writedown. They also displayed grand hypocrisy, applying a 'pink tax' levered on lady razors which don't really cost any more to make thank mens.

Think it's fair to say, companies such as these, have their heads up their own holes. They will likely continue to suffer further boycotts and profit drops. They will loose more customers than gain.

It’s hard to say really, I mean, $8Bn is by no means chump change or anything and no shareholders would be happy with those kinds of losses, but I wouldn’t say the Gillette advert was entirely responsible for their losses either (have you seen their latest advertising campaign for Venus razors? :D).

I would suggest that a lot of it is down to shifting consumer trends to better value products, and in the case of sanitary products for women, mooncups and reusable cloth pads to be gaining in popularity, causing a slump in sales of feminine hygiene products. Solution? Invest more money in new product development, or market the “old reliables” to potential new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It’s hard to say really, I mean, $8Bn is by no means chump change or anything and no shareholders would be happy with those kinds of losses, but I wouldn’t say the Gillette advert was entirely responsible for their losses either (have you seen their latest advertising campaign for Venus razors? :D).

I would suggest that a lot of it is down to shifting consumer trends to better value products, and in the case of sanitary products for women, mooncups and reusable cloth pads to be gaining in popularity, causing a slump in sales of feminine hygiene products. Solution? Invest more money in new product development, or market the “old reliables” to potential new customers.

Gillette gear is outrageously expensive, and I shifted to Aldi's perfectly decent and much cheaper five-blade system a while back. I only use Gillette's shaving gel nowadays. I will say that that stupid ad of theirs didn't exactly help their case, either. :pac:

And today we got a trans logo for the Paris Olympics. What is going on in this world ?

4720a24_xOn_i9bVmi4i4W6jPJrSzUxM.png

For the most part, that logo is okay (if a little dull). I’m guessing it’s supposed to be a gold medal. But the addition of the lips changes it to looking like a logo for a beauty product. And if you look at the logos for previous games, they rarely reference gender. London 2012 did and a few others had stylised sexless figures. That’s it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

mfceiling wrote: »
    We're moving towards the end of days.
    I wish we could move towards them a bit faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wish we could move towards them a bit faster.

...within a dull, stale, tired bed,
    Go to th’ creating a whole tribe of fops
    Got ‘tween asleep and wake? Well then,
    Legitimate Edgar, I must have your land.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

For the most part, that logo is okay (if a little dull). I’m guessing it’s supposed to be a gold medal. But the addition of the lips changes it to looking like a logo for a beauty product. And if you look at the logos for previous games, they rarely reference gender. London 2012 did and a few others had stylised sexless figures. That’s it.

https://www.france24.com/en/20191021-paris-reveals-golden-marianne-logo-for-2024-olympics
    The circular design with Paris 2024 in the art deco style which was in vogue in 1924 when Paris last hosted the Games, also incorporates the lips and outline of Marianne, the personification of the French Republic since the revolution in 1789.

I like it, think its better than the logo they has for the bidding process, which wasn't too bad in itself, 24 in the shape of the Eiffel tower

paris-2024-olympics-logo.png

https://www.france24.com/en/20191021-paris-reveals-golden-marianne-logo-for-2024-olympics

I like it, think its better than the logo they has for the bidding process, which wasn't too bad in itself, 24 in the shape of the Eiffel tower

I think the Marianne thing is a bit too localised. Most people won’t think of that when looking at it. I know I didn’t.

I'm not seeing the Eiffel Tower in that, personally. It looks like a drunken number 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If they flip the Paris logo, it would be better, and more 'P' for paris.
    The lady logo for their Olympics isn't saying 'sporting, dynamic and competitive, diverse energy'.

8JAGOnY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

This is one of those rare times where I think both sides are complete fuckwits. There are just layers of “WTF?” with that story.

My general reaction:

Somebody campaigned to have the Venus symbol removed? WTF? #1

Who cares about the Venus symbol so much? WTF? #2

*googles Venus symbol as I don’t even know what it looks like*

Somebody campaigned to have the Venus symbol reinstated? WTF? #3

Why are people getting so bothered about something so tiny? WTF? #4

This post sums this topic up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

Gynoid wrote: »
    Who cares about the symbol. Boycott Always because they recently added a fcukload of disgusting perfume that smells like cologne made from distilled grannies to their big comfy night time pads and now they make yer fanny itch like the blazes. Blithering idiots!!!

Are you talking about the always nighttime maxi pad?

This was my pad of choice when I was using disposables. I used them for day time use and for nigh time use. How do you know they added smells to the pads? They do advertise odor neutralising on their packets.

I had a very pad time in the summer with vaginal itch. I was so so so sore. It wasn't the first time I itched either and I suspected it was the pads I was using that was the culprit of the itching.

I changed to cloth/reusable pads A.S.A.P in August. I just couldn't have another period like the one I had. Cloth pads have been an amazing experience for me. There's so many different lengths and fabrics and designs available. I'm very happy with the selection I have. It's so comfy.

When I was researching cloth pads, I read many people experience lighter periods. I was skeptical about that but this is exactly my experience. I went from a 5 day period to 3/4 days. I'm astonished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Seriously this bs is going way to far.

If you have a uterus you are biological female end off.

Some people are genuinely trans and I get it and understand. Most of the genuine cases don't shout their mouth off of signs on packaging that the majority of people don't have a clue about.

There is always some little ****e out to stir things up.

I have a young kids and seriously starting to question why I thought bringing a child into this effed up world was a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Ben Saunders - who made the initial complaint - https://twitter.com/bensaunders44

Tweets are protected - that tells all you need to know.

• Advertisement

from Wikipedia:
    In zoology and botany, it is used to represent the female sex (alongside the astrological symbol for Mars representing the male sex), following a convention introduced by Linnaeus in the 1750s.[25] Following the biological convention, the symbol in the 20th century also came to be used in sociological contexts to represent women or femininity.

I don't see why she has a problem with it anyway

that tells all you need to know.

that there was a pile-on from TERFs and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

that there was a pile-on from TERFs and the like

Pretty sure that Ben's tweets have been protected for quite a while - well before this crusade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

The whole thing strikes me as similar to the Gillette campaign a few weeks back, and the backlash that happened afterwards. The same company, Procter and Gamble, that manufactures Gillette products, also manufactures Always products. They’re recognising that if they want to continue to make profits, they have to expand their target market, and that’s why as far as I can see they’re now marketing their products (both male and female products) towards new potential customers.

Gillette really misjudged that campaign and it cost them big time, ironically for them it seems to be mostly women who were annoyed by it than men. I know that Gillette products haven't been bought in our house since that advert and they never will be. It was just wrong and patronising on so many levels. These trans campaigns seem to be mostly non trans people pushing for really pointless things that only really achieve to annoy most people and will ultimately lead to a backlash against ordinary trans people who are just getting on with their day to day lives like the rest of the world. You can't make women second hand citizens and take away their rights in favour of men who identify as women and expect that to be OK.

You can't say that the rights of a man who claims to identify as female take precedence over actual women. Which is what has happened, in sports, in public toilets and in a lot of other areas. It isn't that women feel threatened that trans men are going to attack them in toilets or changing rooms, it's that a tiny minority of people in the world, about 1%, now take precedence over the rest of us. Don't even get me started on people's preferred pronouns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

RedParrot wrote: »
    Are you talking about the always nighttime maxi pad?

This was my pad of choice when I was using disposables. I used them for day time use and for nigh time use. How do you know they added smells to the pads? They do advertise odor neutralising on their packets.

I had a very pad time in the summer with vaginal itch. I was so so so sore. It wasn't the first time I itched either and I suspected it was the pads I was using that was the culprit of the itching.

I changed to cloth/reusable pads A.S.A.P in August. I just couldn't have another period like the one I had. Cloth pads have been an amazing experience for me. There's so many different lengths and fabrics and designs available. I'm very happy with the selection I have. It's so comfy.

When I was researching cloth pads, I read many people experience lighter periods. I was skeptical about that but this is exactly my experience. I went from a 5 day period to 3/4 days. I'm astonished.

Yup. I also invested in cloth pads. Have been meaning to for years. They are cute as well, lots of designs. Loads available online. Too much perfume and additives in the disposables. Wasnt joking when I said that makes you itch like blazes. Always was over for me the day they added that smelly stuff. Blech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Why do company's pander to idiots , are they afraid of offending people . I read about another idiot that was shopping in some shop in England. She came across a product called " ploughman's salad " she took a picture of it, tweeted it to the company , complaining that it was sexist etc. The company changed the name of it then to something less " offensive" .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm not reading the whole thread because I know it will make me stupider by doing so.

Can someone tell me, are some men now saying they use womens sanitary items because they have decided they're women?

I'm not reading the whole thread because I know it will make me stupider by doing so.

Can someone tell me, are some men now saying they use womens sanitary items because they have decided they're women?

Why yes, yes they are. If you want to be made even stupider you will find that lots of autogynophilic males are sharing recipes online where they can simulate menstrual blood. There are even little things you can do ir take to mimic crankiness, pain, pmt etc. I truly wish the big lardy gimps could experience a few horrendous real periods.

• Advertisement

It's the other way around. Some individuals who were born as women, and still menstruate, have now decided that they are men.

As men who menstruate, they are offended by the "Venus symbol" printed on packaging, as such:

NINTCHDBPICT000532622846.jpg?w=670

Advertisement