Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm...

Brexit deal done (unless the MP's and DUP screw it up again), increasing talk of FG going to the polls early in November, and suddenly a high profile scandal erupts in FF..

Interesting timing if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Brexit deal done (unless the MP's and DUP screw it up again), increasing talk of FG going to the polls early in November, and suddenly a high profile scandal erupts in FF..

Interesting timing if nothing else.

It only happened on Thursday.

Are you implying things like this shouldn’t be exposed as it’s good timing for other parties???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

What are the penalties if someone was caught at a polling station using someone else's polling card?

lola85 wrote: »
    It only happened on Thursday.

Are you implying things like this shouldn’t be exposed as it’s good timing for other parties???

Not at all. Any wrongdoing by TD's regardless of party affiliation should be exposed and actioned, and Martin in fairness acted swiftly to order Dooley and Collins to stand down pending investigation.

I just think that the timing is interesting is all. I won't be surprised either if this practice turns out to be more widespread and cross-party next.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

And Typical Fianna Fail when they were asked about it there first reaction was to deny

Collins stated he knew nothing about it as did Dooley only when they were caught out by the Camera did they fess up its a disgrace how our legislators first reaction is to lie

Also Willie O Dea is in conversation with Collins when Dooley tells him what to do hard to believe he didnt know what was being set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    I just think that the timing is interesting is all. I won't be surprised either if this practice turns out to be more widespread and cross-party next.

I suspect you're right here

Not at all. Any wrongdoing by TD's regardless of party affiliation should be exposed and actioned, and Martin in fairness acted swiftly to order Dooley and Collins to stand down pending investigation.

Let’s see who’s exposed,

Will he ask Chambers to stand down and will Timmy and Collins be removed for good?

Hopefully this brings down then government.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Let’s see who’s exposed,

Will he ask Chambers to stand down and will Timmy and Collins be removed for good?

Hopefully this brings down then government.

It’s kinda the wrong party for government to fall

xl500 wrote: »
    And Typical Fianna Fail when they were asked about it there first reaction was to deny

Collins stated he knew nothing about it as did Dooley only when they were caught out by the Camera did they fess up its a disgrace how our legislators first reaction is to lie

Also Willie O Dea is in conversation with Collins when Dooley tells him what to do hard to believe he didnt know what was being set up

And Maria Bailey went on national radio and gave a frankly bizarre interview about "humanity being crossed", so yep there's an underlying problem of a lack of accountability in general.

In fairness to the UK, at least their MP's stand down and resign, sometimes even in protest against their own party. Almost never happens here.

And Maria Bailey went on national radio and gave a frankly bizarre interview about "humanity being crossed", so yep there's an underlying problem of a lack of accountability in general.

In fairness to the UK, at least their MP's stand down and resign, sometimes even in protest against their own party. Almost never happens here.

Why is everyone bringing up Maria Bailey here?
    We know she is a lying so and so?
    And hopefully she is voted out.
    This thread is about FF although they are both the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Our TDs do not take any responsibility and the party’s don’t care as it’s party before country (that’s every major party by the way)
    They consider their jobs as a right not a privilege.

Flanagan on Newstalk at the moment talking about it trying to call it out as a very serious issue that leads legislation passed possibly open to legal challenge.

Getting a bit stuck when called out about similar examples though that would also be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Chambers on rte 1 now trying to explain this. Does she really expect anyone to believe her excuses

Why is everyone bringing up Maria Bailey here?
    We know she is a lying so and so?
    And hopefully she is voted out.
    This thread is about FF although they are both the same.

Because it's a bit rich for FG to be trying to claim some sort of high ground on this one when their own members aren't exactly spotless.

It'll be interesting if it turns out that other parties are at the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Chambers spinning furiously on RTÉ at mo

It honestly is like an episode of callans kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

She must go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

"What happened to me..." vom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What were they voting on? Chambers sounds like another fool. I suspect it happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What were they voting on? Chambers sounds like another fool. I suspect it happens a lot.

She’s digging holes left right and centre

She said a few mins ago that more tds have done it as well. I’d say it’s widespread and not just FF side

She's suggesting it's pretty common practice anyway if I'm hearing it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,646 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are all at it.

Any other TD scolding them will soon be apologizing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phantom-votes-fianna-fil-in-chaos-as-more-tds-dragged-into-scandal-38614256.html
    "Timmy Dooley greets FF leader Micheal Martin to the Fianna Fail think in at the Louis Fitzgerald hotel in dublin yesterday, also included in centre is Niall Collins"

2019-10-21_iri_54293448_I1.JPG

Now is the time for other TD's to come clean. The longer they leave it, the more silly they look.

The newspapers are probably tearing through Dail attendance records.

No doubt party whips are frantically making phone calls. Squeaky bums time.

I predict most, if not all major parties are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That's what I thought too and I reckon that the bould Oliver will get great miles out of it as well.

It was bizarre, she was asked a straight question yesterday - said she'd never done such a thing. Then it turns out today that she did vote for another colleague and only a few days ago.

The excuses were embarrassing to hear, does she think the public are complete eejits altogether? You could possibly understand her mistakenly pressing a button on the wrong seat but to then go and press her own button and not tell anyone she voted twice, is frankly deceitful.

Vote early and vote often seems to be story, probably all at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Now is the time for other TD's to come clean. The longer they leave it, the more silly they look.

The newspapers are probably tearing through Dail attendance records.

No doubt party whips are frantically making phone calls. Squeaky bums time.

I predict most, if not all major parties are involved.

This is what I think too.

I'd say the other parties are desperately trying to find out just much their own party is guilty of the same thing, so they will know what they can and can't criticise without it coming back to bite them.

Martin has set a precedent for himself, and the other parties, by suspending the members.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In an unusual move for Irish politics, Martin did the right thing, applied actual consequences, in suspending Dooley and his buddy. Does he have the back bone to continue doing the right thing and suspend Chambers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's what I thought too and I reckon that the bould Oliver will get great miles out of it as well.

It was bizarre, she was asked a straight question yesterday - said she'd never done such a thing. Then it turns out today that she did vote for another colleague and only a few days ago.

The excuses were embarrassing to hear, does she think the public are complete eejits altogether? You could possibly understand her mistakenly pressing a button on the wrong seat but to then go and press her own button and not tell anyone she voted twice, is frankly deceitful.

Vote early and vote often seems to be story, probably all at it.

Did she vote twice? Thats way more serious. I could understand her voting at the wrong seat but voting twice just compounds the issue. Our main party politicians are frauds and yet they paint the smaller parties as the dodgy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is this FF's Swing-gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Listening to the female TD who voted incorrectly I wondered by the seats are not numbered and assigned for the term.

• Advertisement

Listening to the female TD who voted incorrectly I wondered by the seats are not numbered and assigned for the term.

Mary Lou supports this message.

Advertisement