Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we have a soccer team?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

MarkY91 wrote: »
    We qualify with a win against Denmark.

Relax ffs.

I was listenin to a newstalk interview with Eddie Jordan who spoke of the “ability to forget” as a successful sport person but some things are just way too similar. And in too close a timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Even if we don't beat Denmark we can qualify through a playoff I think
    Brilliant. And if we dont qualify through a playoff we can qualify by collecting Tesco vouchers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

We don't have the technically most gifted players. We don't have any star names and we don't have a prolific goal scorer.
    That's just the way it is. The team still give it their all and are proud to be playing for their country. I will always support them.

Those whinging and complaining can switch off and watch eastenders instead.

COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Even if we don't beat Denmark we can qualify through a playoff I think

That’ll be effectively three pops at a playoff by then

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Necro wrote: »
    Soccer and Gaelic Football would be on a par I'd reckon, there's more clubs in rural areas in GAA for sure.

More numbers playing soccer than hurling and rugby though that's for sure.

Pick a county like Cork with a large urban rural mix. Adult soccer (Junior & senior) has Cork AUL (9 divisions), MSL (7 divisions), West Cork League (4 division). This doesn't include underage.
    Cork GAA is massive but can't match 20 divisions of adult soccer teams playing every week. Five-a-side etc would be extra to this.

The numbers playing soccer in Dublin would dwarf the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

And in the case of Tae-Kwan-Do, yeah, you are absolutely right. But this money should be going to local clubs. Local football, Karate, Boxing clubs. 50 million in the last 10 years to FAI. I know, in the big picture, that's not a huge amount of money. But if you gave 50 million to 1000 clubs over 10 years think of the good it would do.

I'd imagine that much and more has been distributed over that time frame (via the National Lottery Fund) but you have to jump through hoops to get it and that's why you need a single strong governing body. The FAI for instance, seeing as that's what we're talking about, will help clubs to apply for these Lottery grants as well as giving out grants themselves.

It's not a popular thing to say or believe but quite a lot of money has filtered down to grassroots football clubs over the years. The development of facilities over the past 20 years has been phenomenal. Anyone of my own vintage (50 + VAT) will remember togging out in shipping containers and corrugated huts before going out to risk life and limb on some very dodgy pitches. We could be playing GAA the following day and have the luxury of changing rooms and a clubhouse but football was always the poor relation. Things have improved dramatically though and it's not coffee mornings or cake sales that have paid for it for the most part.

BTW, I'll always believe that whilst Soccer created the Sporting Bandwagon, via Euro '88 and Italia '90, it was the GAA that capitalised on it better than anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I'd say that there are much more participating in soccer than Gaelic Football, Hurling or Rugby.
    Any stats on participation out there?

Soccer is below running, cycling and athletics. The latter is a catch all term. Top team game for participation (at least in terms of what people say they play, which could include a knockabout with friends).

Rugby seens to be the most popular on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I can't understand how RTE think anyone is interested in u20s and girls rugby internationals being televised the weekend of the 6Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Necro wrote: »
    I don't get why that's so surprising. Most companies have one nowadays, seems logical that a bunch of folk would get together and make a team. Maybe you're just not in the sporty circles and this is surprising to you. :D

I played in a couple through work. I can not imagine playing in one with a bunch of “users” of this site.

Now, my one was 11 a side, but I’ve played 5 a side socially as well. Was the boards.ie one 11 or 5? I’m still just picturing a bunch of fat “goal keepers” with a couple of skinny lads, with bad teeth, huffing and puffing their way about the pitch.

Maybe a useless “manager” type, probably a mod, holding a clipboard and barking orders about a “diamond” formation.

I’m guessing the “league” standard was fairly dreadful.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I played in a couple through work. I can not imagine playing in one with a bunch of “users” of this site.

Now, my one was 11 a side, but I’ve played 5 a side socially as well. Was the boards.ie one 11 or 5? I’m still just picturing a bunch of fat “goal keepers” with a couple of skinny lads, with bad teeth, huffing and puffing their way about the pitch.

Maybe a useless “manager” type, probably a mod, holding a clipboard and barking orders about a “diamond” formation.

Jaysus, so much sneering in one post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That’ll be effectively three pops at a playoff by then

No it would be first play off. These are group games just because they have to win one of last two doesn't make them play offs. It's the points accumulated over the group.

It wouldn't be the same without the best supporters in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The greatest day in the history of Irish sport

The whole country went mad absolute joy

So glad I’m old enough to remember it

Once in a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Why can't the national team just be like other Irish teams like Celtic and Liverpool. It's so embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They maybe ****. But they're our ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The greatest day in the history of Irish sport

The whole country went mad absolute joy

So glad I’m old enough to remember it

Once in a lifetime

A great time for the moustache too, it would seem.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A great time for the moustache too, it would seem.

Or 'The Ronnie' to give it its then-topical moniker. Always accompanied by a haze of Lynx Africa and a jumper styled on a TV test card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It was 11 a side and featured fairly fit lads. Most of them knew when and when not to use inverted commas. Was your 5 a side just you and your four alter egos?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Because soccer is very popular in ireland, in the 80,s ,many
    irish players used to end up playing for english team,s , for liverpool or
    other famous teams .
    Since the premier ship this trend seems to have stopped.
    Of course rugby is popular , success at any sport seems to attract new fans .
    Also its shown on rte free , no sky subscription needed .
    Soccer is the most popular sport in the world if you look at tv ratings,
    even the womens world cup got good ratings .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Edgware wrote: »
    Don't worry, McClean will be getting his bit of publicity next month when he has his annual "I wont wear a Poppy" phase.
    He certainly wont be getting it for his football ability
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Or his ugly mug

Hypocrite that guy, if he was full committed to his principals, he would refuse to play in England

FFS. As much as I'd like to see McClean phased out of the team, throwing this sh1t in his face is nonsense. The fact that he stands up to the poppy fascists should be applauded, and its generally the abuse that comes from the knuckle draggers of Britain that generates the publicity every year. I'm sure he'd like to keep his head down and play some football without the circus that surrounds it. Anyway, I'll say no more, I'm sure the annual poppy thread will be up soon

• Advertisement

He will be dropping down the divisions now as his ability fades and the annual rant wont be as noticeable when he's lining out against Dunstable Town or Maidstone Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Well, its something to shout at.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I may have misunderstood the OP but is somebody really suggesting that if you’re not very good at a sport you should give up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

If Ireland finish 2nd in the group is there another qualifying play off to go through ?
    or do top 2 automatically qualify ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Top two go through.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    What did we win in Rugby? The annual 5 game tournament with three half decent teams in it, or was it the greatest team in the world award when we beat the all blacks in a friendly, sorry "test" game

Stop supporting the FAI.

Advertisement