Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuckolds

Options
  • 14-10-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭

THIS IS FAKE NEWS
    The actual report is here:
    welfare.ie/en/downloads/GROAnnualReport-2018.pdf

I've been completely "Had" by this article.... :mad:

I read this today:

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/civil-registration-service-report-shows-75-people-changed-their-gender-on-birth-cert-last-year-957044.html

And the bit that caught my eye was this:

There has been a gradual fall in the number of birth registrations recorded in recent years to 61,901 last year
    Also relating to birth certificates, there were 3,842 corrections made to the register of live births last year, mostly due to removal of father's details as it was proven the name registered was not that of the actual biological father

Am I reading that incorrectly, or is that saying for the 61,901 births there was in 2018, there was 3,842 corrections required on the birth certs of those children that were born in 2018, as the father on the birth cert wasn't the actual father.

IE 6% or 1 in every 16 men discovered that they were not the biological father of a child born in 2018!?

That's an absolutely shocking statistic if it is.
    And if this is what's been discovered, how many more have slipped under the radar?

I know a man this has happened to, and he's been willing to forgive his girlfriend and take the kid on as his own.
    He's a better person than me, as I don't think I could do it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya that seems like a crazy high statistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

All men should have DNA checks on their supposed children .

Why make such a commitment unless you are 100% sure that these children are certainly yours .

Its not like you can trust women on such matters .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know a man this has happened to, and he's been willing to forgive his girlfriend and take the kid on as his own.
    He's a better person than me, as I don't think I could do it.

While on one hand you could say he is good person... on the other he is a feckin' ejit and I don't say that to be mean. I say that because it never sits right when you see someone nice get taken advantage of.

Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

blinding wrote: »
    Its not like you can trust women on such matters .

But relationships are based primarily on trust? :confused:
    While on one hand you could say he is good person... on the other he is a feckin' ejit and I don't say that to be mean. I say that because it never sits right when you see someone nice get taken advantage of.

Life's too short.

True.
    However he was thinking of the life the kid would have.

It was a mistake (drunk one nighter, not an affair), and she told him a couple of months into the pregnancy and gave him option to walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

That is also my interperation and that is horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't know why you are using a word from Shakespeare. I can't understand why this has become popular again. its weird.

Also, its all corrections to birth certs listed in the article not just where the incorrect father was registered. So the percentage is high because you re not reading it correctly. It does not give the number just says mostly.

Does seem like a lot of corrections though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Maybe more men are demanding proof of paternity in the case of casual encounters?

Of course, some of the corrections will be down to infidelity too.

The number of corrections is high indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Oh ****..... so there's a very strong statistical chance that one of my 16 kids isn't mine?

Well it could be Noreen, or maybe Patrick or Sean.....Or it might be Michelle or Zhang Wei.....Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I don't think the 3,842 is directly related to the 61,901 births.
    Rather just the number of corrections in 2018, some of those could be corrections of people born years ago.
    That said, you would think it is around that amount every year (no obvious reason for 2018 to be outlier) which does seem very high if it really is mostly due to wrong father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Could it just be the mother removing the Fathers name in the event of a breakup?

But relationships are based primarily on trust? :confused:

True.
    However he was thinking of the life the kid would have.

It was a mistake (drunk one nighter, not an affair), and she told him a couple of months into the pregnancy and gave him option to walk.
    Trusting humans , female or male with regard to sex is very naive .

It doesn’t day that the 3,842 are from the one year. Just that that number of corrections were made in that year b

That is also my interperation and that is horrific

Yet you haven't apologised or shown any shred of remorse.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ya that seems like a crazy high statistic.
    I think the estimates of misattributed paternity are something like 1-3% in most societies. Some older studies have suggested higher rates again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,490 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A correction on a Birth cert is far more likely to be addition of a father's name rather than its amendment to a different one.

But that wouldn't gel as well with the incel agenda now would it ;)

I don’y know how some women work out who the Father is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

Why did I click on this?

banie01 wrote: »
    A correction on a Birth cert is far more likely to be addition of a father's name rather than its amendment to a different one.

From the article:
    Also relating to birth certificates, there were 3,842 corrections made to the register of live births last year, mostly due to removal of father's details as it was proven the name registered was not that of the actual biological father
    If you want to argue there's a factual error in the article, fine, but otherwise it's kind of ****ty behaviour throwing labels like incel into the discussion.

I don't know why you are using a word from Shakespeare. I can't understand why this has become popular again. its weird.

What word?
    Also, its all corrections to birth certs listed in the article not just where the incorrect father was registered. So the percentage is high because you re not reading it correctly. It does not give the number just says mostly.

Does seem like a lot of corrections though.

See I though I was reading it incorrectly too

It says:
    Also relating to birth certificates, there were 3,842 corrections made to the register of live births last year, mostly due to removal of father's details as it was proven the name registered was not that of the actual biological father, cases where the identity of parents needed to be regularised under Irish law, or where other elements needed correction.

The bit in bold is the important bit. It means mostly due to removal of father's details as it was proven the name registered was not that of the actual biological father

If it were written like this:
    mostly due to,

It would mean a general combination of all three because of the position of the comma
    arctictree wrote: »
    Could it just be the mother removing the Fathers name in the event of a breakup?

Can't do that legally.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t day that the 3,842 are from the one year. Just that that number of corrections were made in that year b

Maybe it was just that 384 women with 10 kids each went out and tried to find some chump to pay for them all?

Maybe you're right.
    Maybe the article should say change the fathers name to the correct name (as that's probably what is happening)

Although that being said, a man doesn't have to have his name on the birth cert if he doesn't want to. (which is ballix)

Irish Law is crap for this kind of stuff. :(

mikhail wrote: »
    From the article:

If you want to argue there's a factual error in the article, fine, but otherwise it's kind of ****ty behaviour throwing labels like incel into the discussion.

Perhaps if you didn't so carefully select the quote from the article?
    And presented it in its full context, you could swerve offence at a shítty label?

For clarity
    Also relating to birth certificates, there were 3,842 corrections made to the register of live births last year, mostly due to removal of father's details as it was proven the name registered was not that of the actual biological father, cases where the identity of parents needed to be regularised under Irish law, or where other elements needed correction.

The full sentence makes quite a different whole, than the part you cherry picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

"Mostly" could be 51%, its a bit of a stretch when the article is vague to say they are all down to this.

Your calculations then become much more guestimate to sound worse then it is. Also you are really cherry picking the wording to support your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But it doesn't say how many of those corrections were because of the wrong father being listed. It just says "mostly". So you can't really extrapolate percentages etc based off that.

But yeah. Women. Evil liars, all of us. Blah blah blah

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. Somebody does the dirt on you and brings a kid that isn't yours into the equation(and I'd bet the farm it wasn't some random one night thing), and you go "I'll support you now"? There are plenty of women, the vast majority who wouldn't dream of doing anything like this, so why stay with some bow legged slapper? Nice guy? Damned fool IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

blinding wrote: »
    I don’y know how some women work out who the Father is ?

The one with the most money.

Thankfully women like that are very much in the minority.

Perhaps if you didn't so carefully select the quote from the article?
    The full sentence makes quite a different whole, than the part you cherry picked.
    Fair enough, except that it was Beta Ray Bill who did the cherry picking in the first post in the thread.

Fair ****s to you for avoiding the swear filter like that, ya rebel.

"Mostly" could be 51%, its a bit of a stretch when the article is vague to say they are all down to this.

Your calculations then become much more guestimate to sound worse then it is. Also you are really cherry picking the wording to support your idea.

Mostly could mean any of the the factors listed in the articles sentence.
    Given that the removal of a name from a birth cert requires a courts acquiescence, even if done via in camera court.
    If even 51% of the total related to the removal of a name and substitution of another every practicing solicitor in the country would be approaching family law, custody and maintenance in quite a different fashion than they currently are.

The sentence in the article is vague in the extreme and seeing how it has been grasped by some is quite interesting.

Not you Jam btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I did read at one stage that as a rough guesstimate anything from 10-20% of fathers are bringing up children that are not biologically belong to them as in unbeknownst.

Advertisement