Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Christmas work holidays started today, I'm off until second week in January this year.

A lovely older neighbour left a box of sweets for us in his letterbox today because he's keeping to himself with covid. We collected it this evening and it's on my lap now. ☺

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Sitting in a coffee shop, pleasantly surprised that while it's busy, it's not crazy and I got a table very easily. Bought myself a present too. Sure why not 😊!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All my presents bought, lots have arrived too, courier just arrived with more…. That all has to be a first, a day and a half before Christmas and everything done, in fact that IS a first….

Looking at the stars. I've always found it soothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Finished my Christmas shopping, food in, presents wrapped.

Not going anywhere tomorrow. It will be a chill day.

It kind of feels a bit unnerving being organised. I usually thrive under a small bit of pressure/chaos but I'll take the calm.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Shaun the sheep movie on BBC now!

Brilliant! 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember leaving the house to go to the cinema to see something else. No idea what now but Shaun the Sheep was the last thing on so I settled for that.

It's brilliant.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

They are all brilliant.

One of my favourites was when they all had to have a sheep dip in the cold.

They re-routed the hot water from the farmers shower into the sheep dip and had a pool party.

Obviously then the farmer went for his shower only to be hit with ice cold water 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Radio 4 Extra. No COVID, no misery, just comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Watching Tipping point, the pretty girl , who was losing to a smug looking man, by 1000''s got a big drop with 2 doubles and won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

She won the 10K and started crying. So happy for a complete stranger

Sarcasm. Some people don't like it. I love it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I gave a neighbour's child a book for Christmas. His mother said he went to bed early because he wants read in peace! I hope I've started a love of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Something working as advertised. I did an unusual credit card transaction last night, paid for a meal for 7 is a restaurant here in Houston. It’s an Irish card and I don’t normally use it that heavily. The bank said that for foreign transactions above a threshold they would send a text message, and all I’d have to do was reply “Y”, and it worked as advertised. Embarrassment avoided.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Quote of the day from the wee one today......

The missus tells her she's wired.

Wee one: *jumps up and down on the couch excitedly* "I love being wired!!" 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Today was officially the first day where there was a stretch in the Morning. Looking forward to that increasing each day.

Picked up my guitar for the first time in about a month: it was perfectly in tune. 🎸

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

Warning - don 't read this if your eating.. etc..

One thing that makes me happy in the AM is when I have a good healthy "motion" if you know what I mean.. a super way to kick off the day..

Some might think it crude of me to post this.. but good bowel movements are incredibly important for good health.. and I do feel better after one.. so yeah.. healthy bowels.. happy me..

I know what you mean, when your colon has that “just-brushed feeling”. You feel lighter. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

At four different locations today, friendly fuzzy little young dogs/puppies came running up to me in that smiley friendly way looking to play and make friends. A black lab collie mix about twelve weeks old, a tiny jack Russell pup, a teenage golden retriever and a German Shephard pup.

I am a puppy magnet. Which is a strange super power but hey ho.

• Advertisement

Was getting done for no tax, insurance and nct earlier.

Thankfully the Garda was completely understanding when I explained that it was my agent that messed up the paperwork! 😂

I’ve nothing to do tomorrow….that’s the happyning

apart from call the fitness equipment company to find out where my stuff is and enquire as to why they are not responding to my very courteous and polite email… the person who I am emailing in sales has no out of office so given that and that it’s a significant duration of time since I emailed her without receiving a reply after a significant amount of time from when I paid them 100% upfront … I’m just being 100% stonewalled.

im incredibly polite, understanding and facilitating when dealing with frontline staff / sales… usually regardless of the issue, been there, not always their fault, but when you are being a disingenuous fûckhound, being deliberately evasive having taken a persons money and promised them a service and agreed an approximate timeline in writing that they don’t get close to delivering on or attempt to communicate regarding they can get to fûck really… I just want and need.. INFORMATION !

something went awry, email me… my reply will be along the lines of….“ok, thanks, shît happens, let me know, keep me in the loop”… but almost two grand of my cash sitting in their account and I can’t get an email replying explaining what has happened or what will happen or where my stuff is ?

so I’m happy as the gloves need to come off, and these individuals can with pleasure keep the stonewalling, fobbing me off and I’ll with pleasure be paying a visit back to their showroom….if that’s what I need to do to talk to someone..

Something that gave me a smile today - though I can predict some of the negative takes some might have on it - was a story about a restaurant that opened in Tokyo a few years ago. But I am only seeing the story now.

Named "The restaurant of Mistaken Orders" - all the customer facing staff of the restaurant are people suffering from dementia. So there is some likelihood your order is going to go entirely wrong or end up at the wrong table.

Apparently the stated goal of the restaurant is to help people understand those who are suffering from this condition. I guess a second benefit not stated in the article I read is that it allows people to work - who otherwise might not get that chance. And to do so in an environment both understanding and accepting of their condition.

Since opening the restaurant they have calculated that around 40% of the orders have gone wrong already but nearly 100% of the customers declared themselves happy all the same because the food they did get was very good anyway. To be honest I can think of a few restaurants in my time where 40% would be a worthy target for improvement!

Anyway it's a little story that gave my happiness level a little bump for whatever reason.

TH it's dark early, and doesn't get bright til late..

Now, the dark aint necessarily a TH....

but,

It does make it easier to surreptitiously wander to shop, without having to wave to people (or meet them even 😂) in cars, and the likes.. 😃

Does be hard to notice people when they're inside their 'dreadnaughts' - despite what people say about "going out to get some fresh air" , or "it's good to be out and about and notice things, inside of being stuck inside the house, or inside of a car/bus/train".. Far easier as a driver/passenger to notice/recognise someone out walking or cycling, than vice versa... People in car might be thinking: "Jaysus, I waved to that fekker, and he never waved back" ..... either that or "that fella's in a world of his own".... More like he's too stressed out being 'on view' , so is not 'chilled' enough to 'take everything in', or indeed, to notice people who may be waving from the (close enough to) hidden confines of a car going by no slower than 25mph....

A lot easier to 'notice things' from inside a car, imo, as when out and about walking in the sprawling 'minitropolis' ; it feels very intense/claustrophic, and I 'notice' sfa.. ☹️ maybe others fare better in this regard...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Not something normally viewed in urban Dublin. Looked up when I heard ducks/geese. Must have been 50 of them flying in a big V formation over my head.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Handed in my notice today. Going to a better company, better hours, better culture, better prospects and more money. Huzzah!

Now over to the TA thread to complain about my notice period being three flippin months...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Got clarification about my last "small" assessment, while longer than usual(ta in itself) its not anything like as intense a real relief!

Was deleting phones/dl's from my phone and one of them was my timetable for this year(last class was yesterday afternoon) just one long asses and final submission to go and it will be all over!

Th its been the longest and shortest 4 calendar years ever.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Fitness equipment arrived !

what I thought would have been a 2-3 hour job took them 50 minutes…

ultra efficient, professional and all done safely with masks, gloves and sanitiser… clean efficient and nice to deal with…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Little young lads watching a hurling match in front of me. Looked about 5-7. Must have been their first game. They saw the yellow sliothar and said ‘oh look a tennis ball’. 🤣

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement