Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

A good thing for us. We need to try different options now. We're past the oh we're so screwed stage without Sexton. This nonsense must be put to bed now. He's the last player that we fret about like this and it needs to stop after the disaster part 2. He was looking unfit in the World Cup, on the biggest stage in the World, so whats it matter if he misses a near mickey mouse match against the Scots..

Unfortunately it means POM might be captain.

I'd have JJ Hanrahan in the squad as well

I don't think Byrne's going to be good enough. He'll be a solid pro with a good few caps, but his brother has more about him. As good a kicker, more pace, better breaker, possibly a better passer. He's certainly not going to be the undisputed starting ten come the Six Nations.

We need to get Ulster giving Lowry a shot at his natural position as well.

Some outside names for the Six Nations squad: Hanrahan, Dillane, Doris, Deegan, Kelleher, Cooney, McCloskey, Balacounne. And James Ryan captain. And for once i can see merit in bringing Dave Kearney back in, despite all i have said about the lad! Something like that would get the collective juices flowing again, and imo give Farrell a natural bounce and he would get wholesale backing i'd imagine for trusting others...to hell what Nucifora saids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

On the succession to Sexton - I don't think Carty, Byrne or Burns are the answer. Maybe a stop gap until we feed through a few younger players who will become more established.

I think long term it will be Carbery, Healy maybe younger Byrne. We will need to feed through more fly halves into academies in the coming years until we get a proper replacement. I'm looking at you Mr. Nucifora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

On the succession to Sexton - I don't think Carty, Byrne or Burns are the answer. Maybe a stop gap until we feed through a few younger players who will become more established.

I think long term it will be Carbery, Healy maybe younger Byrne. We will need to feed through more fly halves into academies in the coming years until we get a proper replacement. I'm looking at you Mr. Nucifora.

If anything Ireland is stronger now than ever at 10

We have

Sexton
    Carbery
    Carty
    R Byrne
    Burns
    Fitzgerald
    Healy
    H. Byrne
    johnson

all playing at provinces......not sure how you are going to find space for more 10's?

At one stage it was ROG or .......well nobody

Also writing off R Byrne is a bit early. He is only around the same age as when Sexton broke into the Ireland team. Any game he has played this season he has been exceptional. The Glasgow game as well when he took the ball in the back field and ran at speed back into the line, I dont think I was the only one who thought it was Keenan. I would not be surprised at all to see him pushing to start for Ireland. Especially if Sexton is out and he will be playing all the games till the 6 nations

Burns as well is only into his second season, he has played a lot better now after adjusting to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

What's the latest with Carbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sugar Free wrote: »
    What's the latest with Carbery?

Don't ask me where I read it but targeting the Leinster game, might not make it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Niallof9 wrote: »
    ...whats it matter if he misses a near mickey mouse match against the Scots..

Do you really need to use this hyperbole? You seem awfully invested in what you are deeming a "mickey mouse match".

In any case, it's a real shame that Carbery's injury may be coinciding with Sexton's here. If Carbery can get himself fit and firing, it's a potentially great opportunity for him to get some consecutive starts in for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't ask me where I read it but targeting the Leinster game, might not make it.

Think it was end of December alright

Sexton is in good spirits about it

https://i.imgur.com/cmy7jL0.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If form is the shiny word around here, then Ross Byrne should be starting.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ross Byrne is going to have a great platform to give a good account of himself for the next 8-10 weeks anyway.

New Ireland coach, new ideas (hopefully), that #10 jersey should be there for someone to grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I would not write off RB. With Carberry injured and now Sexton injured, he has a chance to get a run of games. Farrell, may be open to all the 10's. Carberry may not be annointed just yet. Carty may regain form and Burns is playing well for Ulster.
    Regardless. the lads need to stake a claim. I wouldn't be too disappointed with Byrne getting the nod. It's a golden opportunity to see who's up to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

awec wrote: »
    Ross Byrne is going to have a great platform to give a good account of himself for the next 8-10 weeks anyway.

New Ireland coach, new ideas (hopefully), that #10 jersey should be there for someone to grab.

I dunno, Byrne has had an armchair ride in pretty much every game he's played this season and he's still not standing out for me.

Like, JGP has looked a class act while the Leinster pack have been grinding opponents to dust, but I just haven't seen it from Byrne.

I don't think anyone will challenge a fit Carbery

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno, Byrne has had an armchair ride in pretty much every game he's played this season and he's still not standing out for me.

Like, JGP has looked a class act while the Leinster pack have been grinding opponents to dust, but I just haven't seen it from Byrne.

I agree that he hasn't stood out.

My point was he has 10 weeks now where he is likely to start every game of importance, so if he wants to play for Ireland he better start standing out. He has a platform that the other contenders can only dream of.

Thing is Leinster viewed Byrne as the better 10. Graham Henry spent a week or 2 with Leinster and annointed Carberry. Iirc.
    Carberry hasn't impressed me very much. He does'nt seem to control the game. Anyway, we will see fairly soon.

Not sure what R Byrne needs to do to be honest. He has played in HC a few years now and played well at all times. Loads of games, Exeter in Aviva, Toulouse last year etc.

He kicks his scores, scores tries. Links the forwards and backs. More times that not is on winning side. Can close out difficult games(Ulster last season in HC).....

Has brought a running threat to his game this season.

Still people seem to find issues with him. Not sure what it is......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure what R Byrne needs to do to be honest. He has played in HC a few years now and played well at all times. Loads of games, Exeter in Aviva, Toulouse last year etc.

He kicks his scores, scores tries. Links the forwards and backs. More times that not is on winning side. Can close out difficult games(Ulster last season in HC).....

I don't get it either. Playing behind the world rugby player of the year and all. He's done well, imo

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s because he’s not fancy or flashy.

Give me substance over style everyday

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Thing is Leinster viewed Byrne as the better 10. Graham Henry spent a week or 2 with Leinster and annointed Carberry. Iirc.
    Carberry hasn't impressed me very much. He does'nt seem to control the game. Anyway, we will see fairly soon.

It was on the back of Henry comments that Carbery suddenly jumped the queue and was on the plane to Chicago.

Carbery hasn't played enough at 10, he has a total of 53 caps between Leinster and Munster. Most of the Leinster caps at 15....he is still very young and injury has hampered his chance to nail himself down as the heir to Sexton. Huge amount of pressure on him as well....

Ross Byrne for instance has played 71 times, all at 10.

Ugh, is the little dig at the end absolutely necessary?

But you tell me.

If Ross Byrne is all that, and I just have some ulterior motive for questioning him, how did he end up behind Jack Carty in the Ireland pecking order?

Dubinusa wrote: »

Carbery has been brilliant in spells for Munster, but his biggest issue is staying fit. If he can shake off the injury problems, imo he's in poll position to take over after Sexton.

• Advertisement

Ugh, is the little dig at the end absolutely necessary?

But you tell me.

If Ross Byrne is all that, and I just have some ulterior motive for questioning him, how did he end up behind Jack Carty in the Ireland pecking order?

What little dig?

It was on the back of Henry comments that Carbery suddenly jumped the queue and was on the plane to Chicago.

You come out with the maddest sh*t and it's always factually incorrect.

Carbery started that season as the Leinster out-half, Byrne wasn't featuring at all, in fact he was behind Cathal Marsh in the 'queue'. It was only Marsh's injury and Carbery's international involvement that got him into the reckoning.

It was Paddy Jackson's visa issues that got Carbery on the plane to Chicago, not something Graham Henry might have said.

Carbery hasn't played enough at 10, he has a total of 53 caps between Leinster and Munster. Most of the Leinster caps at 15....he is still very young and injury has hampered his chance to nail himself down as the heir to Sexton. Huge amount of pressure on him as well....

Ross Byrne for instance has played 71 times, all at 10.

Minutes played would be more revealing than caps (Byrne would still come out well ahead) but even so, I don't think the extra experience would swing it in Byrne's favour. If you're good enough, you're old enough, as the saying goes.

aloooof wrote: »
    Minutes played would be more revealing than caps (Byrne would still come out well ahead) but even so, I don't think the extra experience would swing it in Byrne's favour. If you're good enough, you're old enough, as the saying goes.

Im not saying Carbery isn't good enough. I was replying to a comment that said Carbery hasn't impressed and can't control a game...

I was just pointing out he has had a lot of injuries which has interrupted his progress. I just used Byrne as a comparison as he is similar age and both started at the same time....Byrne has a lot more time at 10 and minutes under his belt....

You come out with the maddest sh*t and it's always factually incorrect.

Carbery started that season as the Leinster out-half, Byrne wasn't featuring at all, in fact he was behind Cathal Marsh in the 'queue'. It was only Marsh's injury and Carbery's international involvement that got him into the reckoning.

It was Paddy Jackson's visa issues that got Carbery on the plane to Chicago, not something Graham Henry might have said.

First I am making an imaginary dig and now your having a little rant

Yes everyone is fully aware it was supposed to be PJ on the flight to Chicago. Do you not think Carbery suddenly getting on the plane was a surprise at the time? from my recollections (factually correct or not) was it was a huge surprise and a massive story in the news

Im not saying Carbery isn't good enough. I was replying to a comment that said Carbery hasn't impressed and can't control a game...

I was just pointing out he has had a lot of injuries which has interrupted his progress. I just used Byrne as a comparison as he is similar age and both started at the same time....Byrne has a lot more time at 10 and minutes under his belt....

Fair enough. Part of the picture of their minutes at 10 is also their international caps as well tho; Byrne has 3 while Carbery has 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Correcting one of your " facts" as garbage is not going on a rant.

Yes everyone is fully aware it was supposed to be PJ on the flight to Chicago. Do you not think Carbery suddenly getting on the plane was a surprise at the time? from my recollections (factually correct or not) was it was a huge surprise and a massive story in the news

Dude, you spend all day every day fighting people on this board. I won't indulge you.

You said that "it was on the back of Henry comments that Carbery suddenly jumped the queue and was on the plane to Chicago". In no sense is that accurate.

Done.

aloooof wrote: »
    Fair enough. Part of the picture of their minutes at 10 is also their international caps as well tho; Byrne has 3 while Carbery has 22.

It's a pity since the Munster move Carbery hasn't had a full run at a season. He was playing great v Italy in warm up's.....

Byrne lack of caps as I might have mentioned before baffles me....but for whatever reason the Ireland management team dont rate him. I don't see that changing with Farrell in charge.

• Advertisement

Dude, you spend all day every day fighting people on this board. I won't indulge you.

You said that "it was on the back of Henry comments that Carbery suddenly jumped the queue and was on the plane to Chicago". In no sense is that accurate.

Done.

Dude?

Google "Carbery picked out by Graham Henry", see what it throws up!!

Im not fighting with anyone, its a forum. Throwing a strop because you think someone had a dig at you is your problem, not mine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement