Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked off company email address because manager of the same name has joined the comp

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Highly unusual. No matter the reason there is no way an email address should be reassigned even if an employee left for a certain transition period should be put in place. Even if it is a requirement not to use work email for personal purposes it still happens and while the company or senior management/CEI may consider it ok the company data protection officer may have a different opinion.
    While the new executive may have required a unique personnel name email the old account should have been ceased or redirected to a new email and the new executive account set up with a middle initial or with a dot.

If for any reason any personnel data is put at risk it will be a GDPR issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Place where I work uses first names for the email eg dave@work.com

It’s never been an issue, though I know of at least 2 Marys who were never hired because their emai was already taken

Two US companies merged recently (banking) and this is one of the fallouts.

May not be the same, if a merger a new email format may have being put in place(as opposed to s take over) instead of AB@ X1 and AB@X2 new format for these maybe A.B@X12 and AcB@X12 with original emails redirected to new web address and priority given to senior executive.

In the case of a take over where one server address is held protocol generally would be for existing holder to retain an address but if there was a change address should be deleted and minor alteration to achieve new address. If whole scale change is required dots, middle initials and initials themselves are used.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Akrasia wrote: »
    Place where I work uses first names for the email eg dave@work.com

It’s never been an issue, though I know of at least 2 Marys who were never hired because their emai was already taken

Mind. Blown.

Imagine it, Mary could have been the next Sheryl Sandberg but didn't get the gig because her email address was already taken. Forget using Mary2@work.com or something sensible like that. She's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought dots were 'transparent' so that
    joe.bloggs(at)xyz.com goes to the same mailbox as joebloggs(at)xyz.com?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Esel wrote: »
    No. It's not an uncommon implementation (gmail does it this way), but it's not a given either.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Esel wrote: »
    Gmail is set up that way, but it isn't a general rule that they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Technically, the username part (before the @) is case-sensitive. So you could have [noparse]JohnSmith@company.com[/noparse] and [noparse]johnsmith@company.com[/noparse] going to two different users. But in practice it would be rare for a mail provider to implement this

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Even just from your own point of view, why would you have personal stuff on a work email. You could end up leaving the job at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Its incredibly bad practice to do this.
    When I started with my current company there was 4 other people in the US with my name so I just took a shorter version instead of having a number in there.
    Most other people had to do the same.
    Even after I left the company and came back a few years later my email was still reserved and never given out and never would.
    My company takes data privacy extremely well and even for company emails they are aware of this.
    The Op's company? They obviously don't take it so seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't use work email or indeed any email that you don't have full control over as a recovery email or option for any online service.
    The email address is company property, its allocation, revocation and content are all at the whim of your friends employer IMO.

Granted, reallocating it is bad form. Its theirs to do what they want though.
    That said, its fairly poor practice on your friends part to have any online services and accounts that are not explicitly work related associated to a work email address.

You don't have to be using it for personal reasons and yet you still end up registering on a huge chunk of websites using your work email address.

As OP mentions the person is using it with Microsoft.

You can end up using your personal address on MS admin accounts, on MS Open licensing admin accounts, on support sites for Adobe, Symantec, Trend, etc.
    Now best practice would be to use generically named address (shared account in mickie soft land), but company may not want to set these up so user ends up using their personal work address.

If you purchase kit then you are probably using online portals that would probably have your work address associated.

It is idiotic to do this because the new guy will be inundated with stuff that has nothing to do with him and how the feck can you divert the emails to existing guys new email.

Yeah you can build rules, but he would be onto email admins every other day trying to sort it out.

People need to remember that their work address is not their personal property.
    Oh and the admins can see everything if they want ;)

Sometimes the level of stupidity exhibited by individuals in positions of power in companies and organisations astounds me.

And how some of these people got to where they are and how organisations still manage to be successful despite the idiots is a neverending source of wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

I once had something similar happen: Somebody with the same name as me left the company while I was on a 2-week holiday, and I returned to find my email account deleted and my logins disabled. Some time later I applied for an internal role and the interviewer had the other guy's CV so started asking me questions based on the other guy's work experience.

Even just from your own point of view, why would you have personal stuff on a work email. You could end up leaving the job at any stage.

While most people will never use work email for really serious stuff such as banking it may be used for other less important day to day trivia, such as the Tesco club card or the home delivery of parcels and shopping. Last company I was with there was a social club and most used there work email. The lad doing it also used to send out Funeral notices. My payslip.csme to it as did my P60 and I used it for both the pension and Health insurance both provided through the company..It would be a mess trying to reorganize all this at short notice so some other lad could have the address. The real issue is if I failed to remember everything the GDPR failure would be with the company

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

While most people will never use work email for really serious stuff such as banking it may be used for other less important day to day trivia, such as the Tesco club card or the home delivery of parcels and shopping. Last company I was with there was a social club and most used there work email. The lad doing it also used to send out Funeral notices. My payslip.csme to it as did my P60 and I used it for both the pension and Health insurance both provided through the company..It would be a mess trying to reorganize all this at short notice so some other lad could have the address. The real issue is if I failed to remember everything the GDPR failure would be with the company

That is an interesting one and could be a huge GDPR issue.

If the guy gets his payslip and things like P60 to his email and they were to go to new guy the company could have lot of explaining to do and AFAIK would be in breach of GDPR rules.

Even though new manager works for company they should have no knowledge of other employees personal information unless they are line manager, HR or payroll.

Granted if you really rocked the boat your future expectations within the company would be severely limited.

It still beggars belief some moron thought this a good idea.

Shows how much they value the original user of the email address. :(

jmayo wrote: »
    That is an interesting one and could be a huge GDPR issue.

If the guy gets his payslip and things like P60 to his email and they were to go to new guy the company could have lot of explaining to do and AFAIK would be in breach of GDPR rules.

Even though new manager works for company they should have no knowledge of other employees personal information unless they are line manager, HR or payroll.

Granted if you really rocked the boat your future expectations within the company would be severely limited.

It still beggars belief some moron thought this a good idea.

Shows how much they value the original user of the email address. :(

No it really down to IT guy who did it and there data controller or who ever is assigned to that role. It not about rocking the boat but about making the CEO or whoever gave the instruction aware of the issues relating to what they suggested. Similar situation over different issues happened to me over time and the line is '' I have no problem doing this but are you aware of the implications of this'' to the senior manager. It up to the manager then to take the flak.

I know that some managers can be pig ignorant but it amazing when you highlight an issue to them the way they can change there attitude what was a kind of attitude of ''Go and what I say'' can often be ''thanks for the heads up on that''.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....I know that some managers can be pig ignorant but it amazing when you highlight an issue to them the way they can change there attitude what was a kind of attitude of ''Go and what I say'' can often be ''thanks for the heads up on that''.

Depends on the person. its not uncommon for people to be dismissive of any feedback. So people stop telling them anything. Then they'll complain about the lack of feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

There is no difficulty in adding a number to the end to differentiate or adding a middle name. It's a common issue in large enough companies with names being the same. More to this than meets the eye.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lantus wrote: »
    There is no difficulty in adding a number to the end to differentiate or adding a middle name. It's a common issue in large enough companies with names being the same. More to this than meets the eye.....

Yep, like someone called Scott Kelly..

Scott.Kelly@madyoke.ie
    ScottGKelly@madyoke.ie
    S.Kelly@madyoke.ie
    S_Kelly@madyoke.ie
    Scott.Kelly2@madyoke.ie

It sounds like the company may have headhunted this bozo and are just trying to impress him by giving him first choice email.

Either way it’s the height of disrespect and unprofessionalism to inconvenience you and your contacts/customers. Really is just bad form pure and simple.

Advertisement