Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help I want to change my childs first name

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Truckermal wrote: »
    I'm confused as to how one could look like a Constance...

unless the kid is once removed from the royal family and the OP and child live in the UK its a terrible name.

equally if theres an irish kid with irish parents names consuela then I feel really bad for that child.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Could we move on with this thread without discussing the aptness or otherwise of various first names?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

cuddlebutt wrote: »
    Thankyou for your reply. I am in Wexford. Could I contact a local solicitor who works within family law? Why Dublin?
    Thanks

hi sure..any local solicitor would be able to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

You don't need to do a thing! Just put whatever name you want the child to be known as on everything. I've gone through my life being called an entirely different name to that on my Birth Cert. No problems whatsoever with Passport, Marriage Cert. etc.etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

I agree, don't do a thing.

My birth cert says Roderick, I have always been known as Roddy.
    Everything I have from driving licence to passport to graduation parchments all say Roddy.

Just use Connie and forget about it.

• Advertisement

From a legal perspective, and out of curiosity, are we agreed that you can't change the name on the birth cert itself? Obviously everything else, passport, Dr Lic etc can be created using a different first name with a little paper work, but the birth cert can't be changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mod deletion.
    See mod request upthread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Constance sounds like Gretas sister, I don't like her, she sounds a bit painful. Consuela sounds like a pretty flamingo dancer.

Sounds like a nice bird!

From a legal perspective, and out of curiosity, are we agreed that you can't change the name on the birth cert itself? Obviously everything else, passport, Dr Lic etc can be created using a different first name with a little paper work, but the birth cert can't be changed?

If no answers from the general community, would any Mods of the forum have a view on this? I'm just curious if your first name, once issued on a birth cert, could be changed?

If so, would change of gender be the only legal reason? I know there was lot's of talk in the past about changing gender from male/female; female/male etc and official documentation- would that include first name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

Afollower wrote: »
    You don't need to do a thing! Just put whatever name you want the child to be known as on everything. I've gone through my life being called an entirely different name to that on my Birth Cert. No problems whatsoever with Passport, Marriage Cert. etc.etc.

Likely to cause problems in school.
    Schools will normally accept a full name in place of another but won't accept a shortened version. Some teachers won't mind but many will insist on calling her consuela
    (eg. David instead of James would go unnoticed, but Jimmy wouldn't be accepted unless it's on the birth-cert)

OP, you sound certain and have been given good info here so just go ahead and do it.
    (The suggestion of officially changing Connie instead of Constance was reasonable and may suit your aims).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does this not apply directly to the OP?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/3/enacted/en/print#sec25
    25.—(1) Any registrar shall, on application to him or her in writing, in a form standing approved by an tArd-Chláraitheoir or a form to the like effect, by the parents, the surviving parent or the guardian of a child whose birth has been registered, on production to that registrar of such evidence as appears to him or her to be satisfactory and on payment to that registrar of the prescribed fee—

(a) if the forename of the child has been registered, change or alter the forename in the entry in the register or add a forename or forenames to the entry, or

(b) if the forename of the child has not been registered, register the forename of the child.

(2) Where a forename is changed, altered or registered or one or more forenames are added under subsection (1), the then existing entry concerned shall be retained in the register, the change, alteration, registration or addition shall be deemed for all purposes to be and always to have been part of the original entry and the forename or forenames in the register may not be further changed, altered or added to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cuddlebutt

Roddylarge wrote: »
    I agree, don't do a thing.

My birth cert says Roderick, I have always been known as Roddy.
    Everything I have from driving licence to passport to graduation parchments all say Roddy.

Just use Connie and forget about it.
    That's interesting. Thanks for reply I jyst thought on her passport it will have to say Consuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If no answers from the general community, would any Mods of the forum have a view on this? I'm just curious if your first name, once issued on a birth cert, could be changed?

If so, would change of gender be the only legal reason? I know there was lot's of talk in the past about changing gender from male/female; female/male etc and official documentation- would that include first name?

This answers both the OP and Plenty's question.

You can "change" the birth cert, but a record of originally registered name will always remain.

The birth register is never changed really, only updated. The facts as registered at the time of birth are always maintained.

My understanding is that whenever an individual applies for a copy of their birth cert that has been amended, details of the amendment are provided to them on a separate document.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cuddlebutt

unless the kid is once removed from the royal family and the OP and child live in the UK its a terrible name.

equally if theres an irish kid with irish parents names consuela then I feel really bad for that child.

My Grandfather was spanish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

cuddlebutt wrote: »
    My Grandfather was spanish!!!

Was his name Consuela tho?

Advertisement