Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find the budget thing a bit of a trope.

The amount of time a client names and budget followed by a wild list of expectations thats clearly never going to come under said budget is insane.

Most comically noticeable this year with the creche owner and teacher turned principal who gasped at the initial cost and said they would have to think about what could change.

Only to then give Dermot and Clare a new list of demands that ADDED another 50k onto the already perilous budget vs. cost figure.

And last week they wanted to chuck in two new skylights that weren't planned or budgeted and again the clients seemed surprised that it would cost money. Dermot would have a much better chance if he stuck with his original plan but theres nearly always some late additions the clients want mid build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The mother's potential bedroom was upstairs, no need for a shower downstairs.

Plus you don't want to be walking into the hall from the shower.

As someone who has spent 5 years of traipsing from the shower, through the kitchen , past the hall door, up the stairs and finally into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around themselves ....nope..... showers as close to the bedroom as possible. Especially when there's a few generations living in the house.

Obviously if you work in a manky job a "boot room shower" might be a requirement but day to day living...as close to the bedroom as possible.

Plus the mother looked as fit as a fiddle...I doubt she'll be joining them anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,033 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You could tell it was mostly for the cameras on this build when the hubby said ‘tell Dermot we will talk about this later’.

Clearly stuff done for the camera, actual budgets discussed off camera

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting that the garden and gym room were not included. Those palm trees are expensive for that size a couple of hundred euro a piece.

I thought they were a lovely couple. Good luck to them, they like the neighbours and the area.

The price, I’m still in shock, and I am not paying for it 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That was just a a throwaway comment of you ask me.

On a seperate point, I thought mothers bedroom was downstairs, along with a small lounge off it (to front of house) I am glad both space will be utilised day to day (office + something ) before the mother may need it in X no. of years time (of at all!). I assumed there was a downstairs shower for her. If there is not, on such a remodel, that's an oversight.

Too much time spent on the squabbles/discussions, not a lot on the actual building now. Maybe the former is what most people tune in for.

I wish them well with it. They got what they wanted .... an multigenerational future proofed family home, in the area they want to remain in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No it was to be potentially downstairs.

In any case I thought anything requiring planning must include a wheelchair accessible downstairs shower and toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Tow

There is a million being spent on a house beside my parents. Convert the attic, modest extension across the back, most is to stip the house back and bring back to modern standards.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A high spec attic conversion is about 40/50k, even if you allow for 200k for a modest extension there's about 750 unaccounted for there..

Stripping a house back is all labour and removals.. that's not subject to supply chain fluctuations..

Even allowing for 100k for stripping back.. which I think is generous.

The other 650k on windows, insulation, stud walls and plastering??

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Tow

Moving stairs and internal walls around, garage converted, solar lads not happy with roof, so new roof.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok bit more than just bringing internal house up to scratch.

Based on those costs, only the rich and famous will be positioned to engage in one off housing projects.

Build costs are just not sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The mother's future room was definitely downstairs. It was designed as living space for now, but it was to be (easily) converted to a bedroom down the line, when required. They mentioned this future conversion quite a few times throughout the episode.

There's obvious reasons why you would plan for an elderly parents bedroom to be downstairs but the lack of a shower/bath downstairs would be a big oversight. Maybe there was one downstairs but we never got to see it completed.

Would agree that the conversion looked a long long way away when we got to see the mother. I wouldn't have put her being ~20 or so years older than the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, moving the stairs and replacing the roof isn’t “bringing it up to modern standards”, that’s a massive job

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Did they say at the start something about the dad being sick? So maybe the mother will move more out of wanting company than being frail. Can’t remember if they specifically said the mothers room should be downstairs.

I can see the guy being out in the gym a lot when she moves in 😂

I'm fairly sure they said the dad had passed away. I'm 100% certain they said a downstairs bedroom was to in the plans at the wishlist / early stages, Dermot also mentioned it in the final walk-through (that the small downstairs living room would easily become a bedroom if/when required).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,998 ✭✭✭✭event

What was the model of the heat pump?

What type of wood did they use at the front of the house?

What size was the wood?

What colour of paint did the use on the ceiling of the upstairs second bedroom?

What wattage are the bulbs?

WHY DONT THEY GIVE US DETAILS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

yep I know what you're saying, and its what I'd be doing if I worked in the city centre.

.She's not an ER doctor and all her surgery is probably elective but still a lot of that could be urgent cancers. Its still crucial surgery and I know if I was waiting to get a tumour removed I wouldn't want my operation cancelled or delayed because the bus was full and went flying past her bus stop or didn't turn up at all. I doubt she wants to take that risk!

There are hundreds of other sectors of workers I would target when it comes to cycling to work, surgeons would be way down on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭mykrodot

this is a TV show, Dermot Bannon is Dermot Bannon, I am sure off camera in his day to day work he sticks to budgets, if he doesn't then that's the fault of the owners for not putting their foot down. Only spend what you have is my motto but hey ho if the bank will lend you more, or your family then that's their business. For anyone doing a job like this its once in a lifetime and most people probably go for it. They either can earn that money back, or they have it already.

Its annoying but you can hardly say Dermot Bannon isn't good. He might not be your cup of tea but he's the most sought after architect in Ireland, like it or not. So I'd say he's doing ok and anyone who goes to him knows what they are getting in terms of him trying to push budgets. Just say no if you cant stretch the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I liked end result, front of house not so much and still can’t understand how planing permission is given for such stand out front elevation.. I know the council here are dead against anything that’s different or not in keeping with surrounding houses .. only a few weeks back it was reported people were needing and not getting planning for bicycle storage.. so I don’t understand how planning works at times ..

while I like it I don’t think it’s a million euro house and I know it’s there forever home so won’t be selling but it’s hard pressed to see where the money went.

it’s still going to be fairly cramped when mammy moves in and they are then down a room . For me I would have liked the extra 4th bedroom and a bit of a garden. But definitely one of the best and the extra money shows .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Field east

What about ‘on call’ time? Are you sure about the “——-17.30” bit. What happens if an emergence comes in at , say, at 4.45 and has to be operated on immediately - and is complex and may need 4=hrs or surgery. Do you think that she will leave it to the next surgeon who comes on duty at 17.30 or will she get stuck in herself and finish circa 19.00 hrs. Im just asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Because it’s no eco eye. It’s my the purpose of the show, and they don’t get sponsored by the company to promote their heat pumps

I do think that they should do a second program that goes into the technical side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Plenty of surgeons only do surgeries that are scheduled and don’t do A and E style work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭Deeec

I 100% get why they wanted to stay in that house - next door to sister ( handy for babysitting and their only child can play with his cousins ), near her parents, know the area etc. They have a nice life with support close by which is important. Budget was never going to be an issue so fair play to them and they ended up with a house thats perfect for their small family and her mum should she move in down the line.

I did like the finished house - its a good functional comfortable house. It did lack a certain cosiness and homeliness though but they will make it there own in time. I hated the front of the house - totally ruined the look of the house. The store/garage thing is not really of much use and could have been done without as they had enough room for the 3 of them upstairs as was without needing the front extension- once he puts his 2 motorbikes in there its full. The motorbikes sat safe outside the old house with no problems! If I was a neighbour of theirs I would not be happy with that front extension at all.

Overall they came across as a really happy family and their new home meant so much to them. It was nice to see a couple get a finished house that they can afford aswell. Sometimes with RTI I do worry about peoples ability to repay the debt and affordability to continue living there - some must be under huge pressure - not so at all with last nights couple.

As regards the Drumcondra house - that was a lovely period house ruined by an architect. Literally no old features left. I cannot understand why people buy a lovely old house and want to make it look totally modern inside. Both old and new styles can be married together very well but in that house it was done badly.

Someone mentioned last week that the producers are potentially missing a trick by not having more content on social media to cover such details.

But maybe it's not worth it for them to do so. Maybe the "details crowd" isn't large enough to justify it. I know my wife looks at me as if I've two heads when I start questioning any details.

She loves the show for the drama and the quick run through at the end is more than enough. In fact, I think the main highlight for her is when Dermot brings the couple to view the showhouse. That segment of the show usually gets the same time lasts as the final reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

They said at the start her father was unwell at the moment, in the end shot there was an older man with overcoat and scarf on in what must have been a warm room full of people, I wondered was that him maybe but pure speculation on my part!

Nice layout in the finish, loved the garden too but if they thought the initial extension was a carbuncle on the house I don't know what you'd call this one! Planning decisions would puzzle sometimes alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Carbuncle is what the man of the house called the old extension when he was standing on the road looking at it being demolished. However, it looked much much better than the new extension and was far more sympathetic to the surrounding houses. You would not have noticed it.

As everyone else has said about the outside, the new extension at the front is hideous. Someone else jokingly asked was the planner a close relation / one of the group in the party at the end, but in any case, how they got planning from that we'll never know.

The inside of the house is nice. It would want to be considering how much money was spent on it and it was nearly a new build. But if I was a neighbour I would be furious, he has ruined that estate and possibly brought down values of neighbouring houses a little. Imagine looking out at that monstrosity through your front window, or passing it. Two shipping containers, one on top of the other, in someone's front garden would nearly look better.

If there was a prize for worst front extension in Ireland, that would win hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭useless

Did you watch it at all? House fronts onto a big green and all his cousins live on the road. More options than most teenagers for kicking ball!

Hob on the island with a downward draft extractor fan. I dont know if thats the right term for it, but that hole in the middle of the hob sucks down the steam/smoke and either vents it outside through ducting under the floor, or through a charcoal filter and out through a duct in the baseboard of the island

& I'm sure if the bathroom isnt big enough he can park his motorbike outside again as the bike shed is converted into a wet room/disabled bathroom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Those do not work, because steam rises. I know someone who has one of those downward extractor fans and they say it is a gimmick. There is a reason 99.99% of extractor fans are over the cooker / hob.

Anyone notice how tiny the utility room was, more of a dark windowless cupboard I think? It did not show it but I am not sure how I would like to live with that, in a house costing well over a million between initial value and refurb. cost. Most people would probably spend more time there ( washing, ironing etc ) than in the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Fair enough but when yer woman introduced the idea of the gym, she mumbled something about it being for him and the importance of kids getting exercise.

And if there's one thing nine-year old boys like, it's cross-trainers and rowing machines. Nailed it.

Advertisement