Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2020, Another tenner or is it twenty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The good thing about the USC, if you can call it that, is that it hits some of those who do not pay income tax. A broadening of the tax base is something which will lessen the reliance on taxes on work.

On another subject, Cigarette Smuggling and Illegal Selling of Cigarettes, feature in every Revenue Defaulters List.

lola85 wrote: »
    FF again.

FF introduced it saying it was a temporary measure and FG in their manifesto said it would be ditched. The levy’s it replaced were only introduced in 2009 because of the state of the countries finances.

Yet here it still is and quite frankly, the state of the health service has shown that both governments have done **** all of benefit with it. Chucking it into the bottomless pit aka The Children’s Hospital being a prime example.

I suppose you may see that they’ve bought trolleys if you walk along a hospital corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Sweet FA for mental health services, as per usual. No votes for FG there...

If a no-deal Brexit is a bad as is feared, €1.2 billion will not be nearly enough to mitigate the fallout for us. The housing measures announced are way too blunt and not properly thought out in terms of augmenting current policy measures to tackle the housing affordability and supply crisis.

Despite all the rhetoric there are no votes in health or homelessness. In the end it is all about wages, taxes and social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You don't have free rein to bring in as many cigarettes/tobacco as you like from other EU countries. The cheapest countries like Estonia and Lithuania are limited to 300 pp and even Spain and Portugal are, I think, 600pp. Just another anomaly like VRT.

The guidelines from Revenue are 800 can be brought back from another EU member as this is considered a personal use amount. Anything in excess of that and you may have to prove they are for personal use. Emphasize on "may" have to prove. So, yes, as long as you can prove they are for personal use if required to do so - and similar guidelines are there for alcohol - there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

the past 3 budgets ive been worse off( but we're booming boys!!!! ), give A take twice as much from B,C,D,E
    From this looks like im down just over 6 euro a week.

Kick these arseholes out already, if i'm down( as a joe soap with a family ) when we're 'booming' wtf is going to happen when the proverbial hits the fan?
    Getting tired of being viewed as a walking ATM by the government, we're still in recession tax take times, if theres a bust following brexit the country really is in serious trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sure that grand is all for them to keep for themselves.

No mortgage.

No childcare.

Yep. Over-70s generally do not have these expenses.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Got to laugh at the smokers organising the fag runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Marhay70 wrote: »
    You don't have free rein to bring in as many cigarettes/tobacco as you like from other EU countries. The cheapest countries like Estonia and Lithuania are limited to 300 pp and even Spain and Portugal are, I think, 600pp. Just another anomaly like VRT.

Not true at all. Once they're for personal consumption you can actually bring in almost whatever you want. Such is the joy of being a member of the EU. For someone that smokes 40 a day then 1000 cigarettes is less than 4 weeks supply. I brought 600 cigarettes and 10 x 50g pouches from Estonia in 2017. Close enough to the same from Luxembourg this year and Belgium last year. No problem. My sister in law was stopped about a month ago with 2000 cigarettes from Spain. Again, no problem. Different ball game obviously if you're flying out every week and bringing that amount back but on an occasional basis it's not a problem.
    It's 300 for Lithuania I'm afraid because the f*****s in Dublin took them off me there 2 years ago. My wife is from there maybe I should have stood my ground I only had 1000 not even for myself I don't smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sorry but it's not much to expect a break on being taxed to the hilt without at least some return on that. Plus investment in a sector that desparately needs it...

We are not "taxed to the hilt".

Taxes here, as a share of GNI*, are about middling.

Not low, not high, about middling.

A grand a week after tax couple getting medical cards????

Don’t care what age they are

On that whack they can afford their own medical expenses

YES.

My parents earn 48k-49k approx.

They pay 8% tax.

They get:

two full med cards
    two free travel passes
    35 pm off elec / 420 pa
    free TV licence

Is any country as generous?

Other countries may have more benefits, but they charge more income tax.

For 8% tax on 4,000 pm income, it's a very sweet deal.

Received by tens upon tens of thousands of pensioners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I would love if they gave 10 or 20 to people on welfare, just because it annoys the boards and journal nazi loons.

Funny how none of the arseholes who moan about welfare ever do their colleagues a favour and quit their jobs to lead lives of luxury on the scratcher.

To be honest, they could double it every week, not just at Christmas, and I'd still be earning almost twice what I'd be getting on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Funny how none of the arseholes who moan about welfare ever do their colleagues a favour and quit their jobs to lead lives of luxury on the scratcher.

To be honest, they could double it every week, not just at Christmas, and I'd still be earning almost twice what I'd be getting on the dole.

You're missing the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Do people clearly not remember the bonanza giveaway budgets of the past?

FF dishing stuff out for everyone?

And look at the mess that got us in.

Seems we haven’t learned anything at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's 300 for Lithuania I'm afraid because the f*****s in Dublin took them off me there 2 years ago. My wife is from there maybe I should have stood my ground I only had 1000 not even for myself I don't smoke
    The 300 limit for very cheap countries was a temporary order and wasn't renewed. It's back to 800

such a vapid point

earning salary is not comparable to claiming dole

and per hour its some gig

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Yeah how dare they be ambitious in life and contribute the most to society through taxes and expect something back.

They need to sit on their holes so someone else can pay for it.

That will teach them!!

Sure that grand is all for them to keep for themselves.

No mortgage.

No childcare.

No insurance.

No groceries.

No utility bills.

No property tax.

They keep it all for themselves!!

No problem with any of that.

Just asking why a couple who are say in their 30s treated differently, or say a couple aged 68/69?
    And then the couple who are in their 70s with approx €1000 pw.

Why the different rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,203 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A real lack of outrage this year from the "my taxes" brigade. All about climate denial and immigrants out this year I guess.

Fann Linn wrote: »

Just asking why a couple who are say in their 30s treated differently, or say a couple aged 68/69?

Why the different rates?

Sorry I get that point.

But the original point made was it a couple earn 1000 a week they can afford all medical bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Got to laugh at the smokers organising the fag runs.

Down Moore Street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sorry I get that point.

But the original point made was it a couple earn 1000 a week they can afford all medical bills.

No. My original point was that there are other couples who have less income, and possibly more outgoings and still have a lower minimum entry threshold than the couple with €1k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just want to see the tax system shaken up, it's just so stale. New fresh ideas are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's all going to go to **** again anyway atleast with FF we had a good time before it happened. FG have to be the least progressive government I can remember. They will say things are stable and better under them and they cleaned up the economic mess but that has happened globally naturally they don't deserve any credit.

I'll vote SF again in the next general election in the hope someone else finally gets a go. They could be a disaster but I'd atleast like to see something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

blueshade wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ireland-to-double-foreign-aid-to-more-than-two-billion-euro-by-2030-37866396.html

In this article Coveneny and Varadker commit to increasing Ireland's Foreign Aid spending from the current 800 million a year to 2 billion a year. Varadker finishes the article by saying that ''we'' are making sacrifices considering what that 2 billion a year could be spent on in Ireland. India has a higher military/defence budget and space programme than us yet receives Foreign Aid. Shure don't worry, when Paddy and Mary are over 70 they'll get a Medical card, if they don't freeze or die of pneumonia in rural Ireland when they have to choose between turning the heat on or putting some food on the table and it's only right that Lucky and his wife from Nigeria are given one as soon as they claim asylum.

Does anyone actually know what the current €800M in foreign aid is spent on? Not trying to stoke up the fires, genuinely curious.

Thats a lot of tax payers money, €2B is a collosal amount of money.

Edit: found some information on the Irish aid site.
    • In 2017, a total of €743M was allocated to Irish aid.
    • Of that total, €181M was spent on humanitarian assistance - just shy of 25%.
    • Some of the poorest countries in the world received aid from Ireland - they got a couple of million each.
    • €192M were pumped into EU institutions with the EU commision providing €143M of this.

Before commenting that we're p1ssing away €800M quid a year on countries and people who don't deserve it, perhaps read the facts first.

rob316 wrote: »
    It's all going to go to **** again anyway atleast with FF we had a good time before it happened. FG have to be the least progressive government I can remember. They will say things are stable and better under them and they cleaned up the economic mess but that has happened globally naturally they don't deserve any credit.

I'll vote SF again in the next general election in the hope someone else finally gets a go. They could be a disaster but I'd atleast like to see something different.
    Speak for yourself.

Many didn’t have a good time and were sensible.

People still in mortgage arrears to this day.

But we all had a good time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Do people clearly not remember the bonanza giveaway budgets of the past?

FF dishing stuff out for everyone?

And look at the mess that got us in.

Seems we haven’t learned anything at all.

totally agree, was just saying this morning the best thing about this government is the fact that they ar ebasically impotent, and they less they mess with stuff the better for us.

the only things they have tried to solve like housing has failed because they cant bring themselves to start increasing council (or evenn social) housing

as far as health goes it need s a top down root and branch reform which i cant see happening in my lifetime

Fann Linn wrote: »

Why the different rates?

Ok, here is what happened.

Full med card was introduced for ALL over 70s, with GPs paid much more than an under 70.

https://www.independent.ie/business/budget/news/over70s-will-lose-right-to-medical-cards-26484440.html

Then, the Govt tried to reverse this, but due to possible backlash from pensioner voters, they made sure 95% kept their full med card by introducing a very generous means test.

Initially 700 / 1400 pw

Then cut to 600 / 1200 pw

Then cut to 500 / 900 pw

Now, in Budget 2020, the 500 / 900 is being increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Still wondering why they have a double dole at Christmas when most businesses in retail and warehousing cant hire staff fast enough in December.

Not alone that, you have to be long term on the dole. Out of work temporarily or short time don’t get it. The good citizens who are permanently unemployed do However quality.

I understand the pensioners getting it. Some of them mightn’t need it strictly speaking, but they put in the hard shift when there wasn’t much support.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Keyzer wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what the current €800M in foreign aid is spent on? Not trying to stoke up the fires, genuinely curious.

Thats a lot of tax payers money, €2B is a collosal amount of money.

Edit: found some information on the Irish aid site.
    • In 2017, a total of €743M was allocated to Irish aid.
    • Of that total, €181M was spent on humanitarian assistance - just shy of 25%.
    • Some of the poorest countries in the world received aid from Ireland - they got a couple of million each.
    • €192M were pumped into EU institutions with the EU commision providing €143M of this.

Before commenting that we're p1ssing away €800M quid a year on countries and people who don't deserve it, perhaps read the facts first.

Last year the EU Foreign Aid budget was 138 billion, 720 million of it was ''wasted'' one project was supposed to be for accessing food and nutrition, it accounted for 3% of the 720 million, turned out it was spent on a radio drama show instead. Some of it was spent on a giant pigsty for a Polish farm that wasn't entitled to anything. More of it was spent on fixing broken toilets in Haiti, some on installing computers in an empty office block in Jamaica and that's leaving off however much was siphoned off by corrupt officials and sent to their offshore accounts.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7552519/EU-squandered-millions-overseas-projects-year-including-paying-broken-toilets-Haiti.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The Daily Mail.

One of the staunchest anti EU papers. 1000000% Brexit.

Make it ‘Great’ Britain again.

A British Me Fein

• Advertisement

The all party climate council wanted 15 euro per tonne.

It’s 6 euro per tonne.

That’s crazy, so all parties wanted 15??

Advertisement