Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't they use more electrified railway lines in ireland?

Options
  • 03-10-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I am from the Netherlands and virtually all of our railway lines are electrified. Only in some very rural areas do we still have non-electrified lines, places where there's only one train per hour and the like, and even many of those are rapidly being electrified now.

But why is only a small area within Dublin electrified here? Having diesel trains everywhere is super inefficient and not environmentally friendly at all. Yes, electrification costs money, but it would allow much more reliable and efficient service. Of course I understand that the most rural lines don't need to be electrified, but at least Dublin - Belfast, Dublin - Cork, Dublin - Galway, Dublin - Limerick and Dublin - Wexford should be electrified and have at least hourly service at the bare minimum.

Also why does dart stop in Malahide on one end and Greystones on the other? Why doesn't DART extend to at least Drogheda on one end and wicklow town on the other, as well as DART to Maynooth/M3 Parkway? This would seem like a very bare minimum of service to me , to serve those at least twice an hour.

I now usually find myself using the commercial coach services rather than the train, as at least the coach doesn't stop at everyone's house.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Underinvestment. There is a significant expansion planned around suburban and outer suburban Dublin but thats it

Twice an hour is already well below the current peak time service by diesel and expected service once electrificied on Maynooth and Hazelhatch

As above decades of under investment.
    Broadly we haven't been relatively wealthy for that long and decisions had to be made on spending. Electrifying railways wasn't a priority when the population was falling.

Relative to the Netherlands: your population density is in no way comparable to us. There would be an extra 35,000,000 people on this island if we had the same density. Cities like Galway would have to be the population of Dublin and towns like Tuam would have the population of Galway now. The economics of electrifying would be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The following comment is largely motivated by anti CIE bias of mine, but I think even if there was a sound economic rationale for electrification Irish Rail would lack the initiative to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

boombang wrote: »
    The following comment is largely motivated by anti CIE bias of mine, but I think even if there was a sound economic rationale for electrification Irish Rail would lack the initiative to get it done.

Well normally one wouldn't expect the rail operator themselves to do such a major investment. It should be a conscious decision by the government, just like the plan to build all the motorways in ireland (which I learned are also very recent).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

I would love to see electrification and an hourly service on at least the Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Galway, Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Waterford railways. I have no idea if this will ever happen, but I don't for one second accept it as wishful thinking to think it will. For environmental reasons, I think this should happen as soon as possible.

• Advertisement

I would love to see electrification and an hourly service on at least the Dublin-Cork, Dublin-Galway, Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Waterford railways. I have no idea if this will ever happen, but I don't for one second accept it as wishful thinking to think it will. For environmental reasons, I think this should happen as soon as possible.

Yes and based on the population numbers this should certainly be possible. It would push a lot of people who now use the coaches into the train (assuming they'd offer the train fare for a competitive price now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Closing a lot of lines didn't help. Imagine if the line from Newcastle West to Limerick was retained. The amount of traffic it would take off that road in the morning would be staggering. The traffic as it is is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I thought there was already an hourly service on Dublin-Cork?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork is hourly clockface for a while now and it has delivered increases in passenger loadings.

We don't have the stock currently for any more services basically. Hourly Belfast plans involve swiping a 22000 set and a 3000 set from existing stock in the short term but neither operator can free those up; plus the 3000 particularly would be a major reduction in product quality.

Galway/Waterford/Sligo all require further passing loops / double tracking as far as I know; as well as extra stock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thered be a few areas west of Carrick on shannon that'll need a lot of work to double track to sligo. Or are the raised sections already setup with room for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,314 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sligo could do with a train that gets there before 9am as well

L1011 wrote: »
    Cork is hourly clockface for a while now and it has delivered increases in passenger loadings.

We don't have the stock currently for any more services basically. Hourly Belfast plans involve swiping a 22000 set and a 3000 set from existing stock in the short term but neither operator can free those up; plus the 3000 particularly would be a major reduction in product quality.

Galway/Waterford/Sligo all require further passing loops / double tracking as far as I know; as well as extra stock

Wait a bit until the storm after Brexit settles, then cooperate with NI to electrify all of Dublin - Belfast. Then get brand new high quality electrical trains and use the remaining diesel stock to improve other services. It's not that hard.

Bonus is that you can then also have DART run all the way to Drogheda during Rush Hours, and at least to places like Balbriggan or so outside rush hour.

Yes it costs money, but everything costs money and this is something that would greatly increase the benefits for the environment and for the mobility in Ireland as a whole.

Despite the Netherlands using it extensively, 1500v DC is less than ideal for long distance electrification. That makes it quite unlikely that Belfast will be electrified any time soon

Despite the Netherlands using it extensively, 1500v DC is less than ideal for long distance electrification. That makes it quite unlikely that Belfast will be electrified any time soon

Dublin to belfast is only 166 km. From Amsterdam to Groningen (north of the Netherlands) is 180 km and that also uses this electrification system, this train line goes mostly through rural area and doesn't have that many stops in between so it would be comparable and runs perfectly fine on this electrification system. The line is, of course, fully electrified.

So I call bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a problem with profitability on most lines. AFAIK only Cork and Belfast offer the numbers.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There's a problem with profitability on most lines. AFAIK only Cork and Belfast offer the numbers.

Train lines are supposed to be a public service, profit is made only on certain lines and serves to support the public service that is a train, it is not the sole purpose of train lines.

Of course if virtually nobody uses a line then it may have to close, but this is certainly not the case on any of the routes I suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

machaseh wrote: »
    Train lines are supposed to be a public service, profit is made only on certain lines and serves to support the public service that is a train, it is not the sole purpose of train lines.

Of course if virtually nobody uses a line then it may have to close, but this is certainly not the case on any of the routes I suggested.
    Yes, but the cost is in the lines themselves and IE only get so much money. Electrification is planned around the commuter east coast services. It's a lot easier to do and has the numbers.

machaseh wrote: »
    Dublin to belfast is only 166 km. From Amsterdam to Groningen (north of the Netherlands) is 180 km and that also uses this electrification system, this train line goes mostly through rural area and doesn't have that many stops in between so it would be comparable and runs perfectly fine on this electrification system. The line is, of course, fully electrified.

So I call bollox.

I specifically state that the Netherlands uses it despite being sub-optimal and you counter that with an example of the Netherlands using it... which does nothing to prove its not sub-optimal

It's an old system nobody would do a long distance buildout anymore

I specifically state that the Netherlands uses it despite being sub-optimal and you counter that with an example of the Netherlands using it... which does nothing to prove its not sub-optimal

It's an old system nobody would do a long distance buildout anymore

I also call bollox that it's a suboptimal system in any way, as newly built train lines use the same system (such as a portion of above mentioned Amsterdam - Groningen line, between Lelystad and Zwolle, which was completed in the early 2010's).

Your aggressive posting style makes it rather pointless to debate with you

NS/prorail have an entire country of 1500v DC so they're tied to it; but they still use 25k AC on long distance new builds. It's an ancient system with efficiency problems and a very expensive buildout (vastly more substations and wiring required)

• Advertisement

Your aggressive posting style makes it rather pointless to debate with you

NS/prorail have an entire country of 1500v DC so they're tied to it; but they still use 25k AC on long distance new builds. It's an ancient system with efficiency problems and a very expensive buildout (vastly more substations and wiring required)

I believe those were only used on the newly built High Speed rail which is a different beast from a normal intercity railway line. Neither Dublin nor Belfast would be big enough to justify a newly built High Speed rail line.

Even so, why not roll out this more modern system on these mostly unelectrified tracks anyway?

AngryLips wrote: »
    I thought there was already an hourly service on Dublin-Cork?

You're right, I should've worded my post better.
    I do however hope that the operating hours will be increased, until Dublin - Cork trains run every hour from 06:00 to 22:00 inclusive, instead of almost every hour from 07:00 to 21:00(what they do at the moment).

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yes, but the cost is in the lines themselves and IE only get so much money. Electrification is planned around the commuter east coast services. It's a lot easier to do and has the numbers.

I'd definitely say that there's a case for the electrification of the lines from Dublin to Belfast, Cork and Galway. I would love to see more lines than these electrified too, but I wouldn't be disgusted if more lines weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Only reason they haven't done widespread electrification is of course underinvestment and too much short term thinking in goverment as well. Moving Rail away from diesil to electric power would significantly help in terms of being able to utilise cleaner power sources but of course the other side of this is more maintinence would be required for overheads as well as replacing the old fleet too. It's unlikely to happen for several decades but eventually they will have to move away from diesil as supplies as well as enviromental concerns give those in charge a big enough push to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Huge investment needed to go down the electrification route, neither the finance or the will is there. Also with cutbacks a lot of passing loops have been lifted so increased traffic is not possible even if we had the rolling stock
    There`s a bunch of 2700`s sitting in Limerick I think gathering dust and rotting away
    There is a goodish proportion of commuter trains in Belgium that are both DMU and loco hauled. Belgium and Netherlands not disimiliar

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

sligo could do with a train that gets there before 9am as well

At least the line survives and has gone from 3 trains per day in the 90`s to 7 per day in each direction now and 7 car sets well loaded
    Gawd, I remember when the line was down to 30MPH west of Mullingar for large parts back then and reliability was not good

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The new Dart Expansion looks to be using a different power supply, so at least the work will have been started on some of the lines once complete.

How much effort would be required to change over the existing system?

Theres nothing to suggest that DART Expansion is using anything other than 1500v DC.

An entirely new fleet and significant rewiring and replacement of substations would be required to change the existing network to 25kv AC. Dual-mode units that could use both could be obtained instead but this adds cost and complexity

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Theres nothing to suggest that DART Expansion is using anything other than 1500v DC.

An entirely new fleet and significant rewiring and replacement of substations would be required to change the existing network to 25kv AC. Dual-mode units that could use both could be obtained instead but this adds cost and complexity

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the details of the tender for new Dart carriages, or that they just worded it weird, but it says this:
    The trains will be compatible with the existing DART network overhead power supply of 1500v DC (i.e. current draw, traction profile under acceleration and re-generation) and also with the power supply for the proposed extension sections.

To me, that reads like they'll have two different power supplies.

See here.

• Advertisement

Worded odd is still my guess. Its possible they may want 25kv AC compatible units to avoid the same problem looming again but if they want to meet their claimed rollout time I can't see them going for a mixed system.

Advertisement