Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated grips or winter gloves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Muffs muffs muffs part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

ZX7R wrote: »
    Muffs muffs muffs part 2

They look very effective. Are they fit on over factory hand guards?
    I'm looking for some that will fit over Transalp 600 handguards, they're pretty big

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Having tried heated grips I've since settled on a set of heated inner gloves. Absolutely brilliant, they heat all the fingers and it means you can use the one set of gloves all year.

Maybe not good for blood circulation though, daft body will go : fingers warm - don't need much blood - we are in Spain yay

Maybe

conor2469 wrote: »
    They look very effective. Are they fit on over factory hand guards?
    I'm looking for some that will fit over Transalp 600 handguards, they're pretty big

Yes they fitted over the varadero had gaurds, I'd say they would be the same size as the transalp
    With heated grips and good gloves you won't have cold fingers or hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have been thinking about this myself, will be my first winter on a bike. Dont like the idea of modifying the bike with heated grips.

You'll be in bits without them. And they will be a welcome mod when it comes to selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

I've handguards, heated grips and decent gloves and sometimes get cold fingers, anyone use muffs with all of the above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I commute all year round. I have handguards , heated grips and winter gloves. It's a great combo most of the time but the odd Misty cold morning still managed to chill my fingers. I'll be investing in muffs soon for this reason. I have set off in -4 temperatures some mornings and only ugly muffs will do in these conditions.

mamax wrote: »
    I've handguards, heated grips and decent gloves and sometimes get cold fingers, anyone use muffs with all of the above ?

I use muffs , heated grips and winter gloves and have had gaurds

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IMHO, bikes electrical systems are for the most part just adequate with a few exceptions.
    Adding high draw items like grips and heated clothing taxes the system a lot, add in cold weather and lights and all the rest and you can quickly end up pulling more from the battery that can be replaced.
    Muffs keep your hands sheltered from wind and rain and allow you to concentrate on riding with fingers that work.
    If you are worried about seeing the controls, some have windows to let you see the buttons etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have been thinking about this myself, will be my first winter on a bike. Dont like the idea of modifying the bike with heated grips.

Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

*****MUFFS WARNING...******

When buying muffs be sure they will fit your bike...some are designed for scooters, as 99% of riders in France use them....they wont all fit around big mastercylinders ,handguards and mirrors....worst case scenario you might need to cut them a bit...the bigger the better....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭H_Lime

*****MUFFS WARNING...******

When buying muffs be sure they will fit your bike...some are designed for scooters, as 99% of riders in France use them....they wont all fit around big mastercylinders ,handguards and mirrors....worst case scenario you might need to cut them a bit...the bigger the better....

So Max, your master cylinders too big for french muffs eh...:)

H_Lime wrote: »
    So Max, your master cylinders too big for french muffs eh...:)

too big for ALL muffs........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Muffs muffs muffs

They look big enough to fit over most handguards, got a link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭H_Lime

too big for ALL muffs........:D
    Hahaha:D

mamax wrote: »
    They look big enough to fit over most handguards, got a link ?

There from Oxford universal fit.
    Bought about 3 year's ago at the Birmingham bike show

Careful now...you need to get a pair with a wide opening, thats easy to get a gloved hand in....there are some out there that are too small if you have large hands.....stop sniggering at the back there....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

There from Oxford universal fit.
    Bought about 3 year's ago at the Birmingham bike show

Do they get much water in them if the bike is left out in a shower? Its an open car park at work, just wondering how I would get around that without sticking shopping bags over them!

conor2469 wrote: »
    Do they get much water in them if the bike is left out in a shower? Its an open car park at work, just wondering how I would get around that without sticking shopping bags over them!

No water gets in , when you're hands are not in them the cuff hangs down at a slight angle .
    You Will have to cut holes for the mirrors but you get big flexible washer to stop any rain getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Anybody got any recommendation for a particular brand of muff? :pac: Going to get a set this morning. My hands were in bits this morning!

I love that you don't want to mod the bike but you'll put those hideous things on it haha. Actually, are you not just riding in town, no motorways?! A good set of winter gloves would be fine, no need for muffs or grips for now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Muffs?

Muffs.

Muffs...

Have had heated grips a few years now and they're an absolute godsend. But I've finally cracked and ordered a set of muffs from Aliexpress (to see how I fare with them) and I'll pick up a pair of Richa Cold Protect after Zubair's recommendation above. The reviews echo what he's said about them.

what ones did you get of ALI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I'm thinking of getting these. Very expensive, but you always forget the cost after a while.

About 40 years ago I drove 150 miles from Dublin to the west of Ireland in early January on an unfaired bike. The temperature was just above freezing.
    By the time I had driven 50 miles to the lakes at the far side of Mullingar I had stopped twelve times, sat at the side of the road each time with my arms hanging down waiting for the pain to return to my hands. Much of the rest of the trip I drove with my left hand behind my back to get it out of the wind chill.
    Shortly after that I went to Northern Ireland and bought a fairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Price: €119.90 at wunderlich.de

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I have Tucano muffs. Italian brand. Good quality. Still in great cond. after many winters. Bound to be cheaper than W-lich.
    Hand guards are of great benefit for secure fitment but I noticed a Tucano model recently that had an eyelet for attachment at bar-end.

I have Tucano muffs. Italian brand. Good quality. Still in great cond. after many winters. Bound to be cheaper than W-lich.
    Hand guards are of great benefit for secure fitment but I noticed a Tucano model recently that had an eyelet for attachment at bar-end.

Ive been trying to source Tucano urbano R365 muffs for a while but seem to be out of stock everywhere. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ive been trying to source Tucano urbano R365 muffs for a while but seem to be out of stock everywhere. Any suggestions?

NippyNormans maybe. Or they could check if they're still available. I see Infinity sell Tucano too. Would another model fit or adapt?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

https://www.silvermans.co.uk/collections/motorcycle/products/gloves-r4-police-issue-mc?variant=4194255939

I use these, great winter glove with good wind/rain protection. If the cops use them then they have to be good, I find them great, but two winters and they need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably the R334 with a window as well?
    Half the price of the Wunderlich ones...
    https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/tucano-urbano-bar-muffs-r334-universal-fit.html

NippyNormans maybe. Or they could check if they're still available. I see Infinity sell Tucano too. Would another model fit or adapt?

Im not sure about another model fitting. The site suggests the R365 for my bike. Those wonderlich posted above look the biz though. Expensive but I suppose they can be used on a new bike when needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

61 posts on heated grips, gloves or muffs? You've got to be joking!

Surely these are meant for continental climates with massive distances,and where extremes of cold are savage compared to our mild conditions?

snowflake.jpg

Advertisement