Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo: October 3/4 2019 **Technical Discussion Only**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Watch live TV coverage from RTP Açores here. They have someone out on Flores.

https://www.rtp.pt/play/direto/rtpacores

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is this places obsession with Ophelia comparisons? Besides Cork there's every chance other areas will see winds like they did with Ophelia with Lorenzo.

And that's because bar exposed southern places Ophelia delivered yellow level winds to many, orange to some (3 stations red, all Cork S.coast, 5 orange and the rest yellow).

Out and out max intensity Lorenzo won't match what Opehlia did down in Cork BUT you should be looking at what Lorenzo is going to do in your area and cross compare to previous storms not max vs. max gusts of systems. Most of the time you're looking at what various storms have done at Malin Head or Bellmullet or the likes then!

Just like how Storm Ali caught some by surprise in Dublin. It was only a yellow yet it matched the 104km/h gust achieved during Ophelia so it was a tasty little storm.

Follow the forecasts and regional wind speed estimates rather than dismissing a storm because the answer to "will Lorenzo be as strong as Ophelia" is no technically. Trees are in leaf and the ground is damp, trees can fall with yellow level gusts, as seen today in Dublin - don't even think we hit yellow level gusts.

Agree, especially as Mayo, Donegal, Sligo and I think Galway, were not affected by Ophelia. She never came our way. Thankfully..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some overnight runs for midnight Thursday:

ECMWF (18z)

eWfHIBD.png

Strongest winds over the SW'rn half of the country generally speaking as low pushes over Connacht and Leinster.

GFS:

IOml7hp.png

Low further north, as are the brunt of the winds.

Icon more or less similar; perhaps a bit further north still:

wunN5X3.png

Nothing really nailed on this morning, but with the UKMO (yesterday's 12z) & latest ECMWF tending the low slightly further south, maybe signals are being narrowed down.

Latest WV image:
    BkHCv5O.png

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Latest NHC forecast track.

025239_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Latest NHC forecast track.

[]

Big upgrade? It’s staying a hurricane much closer to our shores than I had seen on previous advisories?

Seems to me a much bigger chance of red for the western counties for a few hours now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Does anyone have any videos or gifs or showing the temperature of the storm's core? Looking at Twitter, Lorenzo is expanding in size.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at Twitter, Lorenzo is expanding in size.

Probably starting to loose strength now/starting extratropical transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's just passed the western Azores in the past hour. Flores airport reported a gust of 74 knots and a highest mean of 52 knots. Lowest pressure 969 hPa.

It's now 32 gust 65 knots and pressure rising at 972 hPa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Am I right in saying that Cork shouldn’t suffer too badly from this? Seems to be mostly concentrated on the west coast and midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Status yellow wind and rain nationwide with it being orange for risk coastal areas.

According to Evelyn Cusack on VM1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

leahyl wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Cork shouldn’t suffer too badly from this? Seems to be mostly concentrated on the west coast and midlands?

I don't think too many will suffer badly from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If we end up with just yellow and orange after we following this thing for a week lol. Am exhausted from it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

An underlying theme will be rapid weakening from Atlantic to Irish Sea, the key question for forecasters being, will that weakening trend be well underway at landfall in Connacht (as appears very likely now) or will it begin during the land passage of the low?

The maps hint at a start to the weakening trend before landfall, but basing a forecast this important on such a concept could prove ill-advised. However, you should probably read any given forecast as top end of possibility and factor in that conditions might be less intense in the final analysis.

On the other hand, there is nothing to stop the predicted buildup of very high sea states, late developments near the coast will mean nothing to that part of the warning, and the seas will get rough well in advance of the winds reaching their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Status yellow wind and rain nationwide with it being orange for risk coastal areas.

According to Evelyn Cusack on VM1
    Met.ie has no warnings yet apart from a marine warning

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Akrasia wrote: »

They have an advisory warning and will probably post an update during today. Bloody freezing this morning but sunny so we are in for a naughty tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

MrDerp wrote: »
    Big upgrade? It’s staying a hurricane much closer to our shores than I had seen on previous advisories?

Seems to me a much bigger chance of red for the western counties for a few hours now.

That's hurricane force winds. It's already done being a hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Are the marine warnings colour coded. If a large swell is expected to hit the coast is this covered by the marine warning or the weather warnings?

Say we have a scenario where the wind on the coast is an orange level but the storm brings very dangerous seas which threatened coastal towns what would the warning be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

If we end up with just yellow and orange after we following this thing for a week lol. Am exhausted from it

It's mainly media overhyped that's stirring the talk of a red warning across the country, its a catagory 1 at the moment so by the time it hits us it's much weaker

The two big problems for met Éireann to worry about are costal flooding from storm surge and inland flooding from rain fall which could be serious enough

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Compared to rapid cyclogenesis storms we get regularly in winter for instance Darwin this Lorenzo looks rather forecast to be rather bloated as it crosses Ireland. I think people are fixated on what it was (a category 5 hurricane) rather than what it will be, a rapidly disintegrating and messy storm. I don’t feel the potential here. The charts suggest something far less impactful than Ophelia even. I genuinely feel there’s a cognitive bias in play here.

It's mainly media overhyped that's stirring the talk of a red warning across the country.

George Lee totally ramping in his report on Lorenzo on 8am news....repeated use of the word hurricane....'fierce winds'....and the like.

Quite at odds with the measured explanation of the situation and forecast by Matty M just before the 8am news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

DOCARCH wrote: »
    George Lee totally ramping in his report on Lorenzo on 8am news....repeated use of the work hurricane....'fierce winds'....and the like.

Quite at odds with the measured explanation of the situation and forecast by Matty M just before the 8am news.

George Lee is always like that. He was worse yesterday. I actually thought George was downgrading this morning slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Evelyn cusack On radio saying warnings out around 10am, high yellow with Orange on west coasts, subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Akrasia wrote: »

She said they would be updated by 10am before saying that it would be nationwide yellow, with orange for affected coastal areas.

That's not saying something couldn't change, but unlikely if the head of forcasting has spilled the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The most annoying thing is when people give out constantly about Met Eireann - they just can't accept that some systems are just extremely difficult to forecast, Lorenzo being one of them. They think Met Eireann should be bang on with every forecast and if they are out by any bit at all, it's "let's all bash Met Eireann, they haven't a clue" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Xdy04c0.jpg
    All times are Ast which are 4 hours behind Irish time

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

leahyl wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is when people give out constantly about Met Eireann - they just can't accept that some systems are just extremely difficult to forecast, Lorenzo being one of them. They think Met Eireann should be bang on with every forecast and if they are out by any bit at all, it's "let's all bash Met Eireann, they haven't a clue" :mad:
    Thing that gets me the is that most of these people don't actually get their forecasts from official Met forecasts but what some radio DJ, facebook or tabloid news paper. But it was met that got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

After all the hype on main news and radio the last few days. We’re going with high yellow and orange for costal counties
    I know it’s very hard for Met Éireann to nail down but I fear we’re going to get the usual warning upgrade once the storm is in progress
    It’s too late then for people. Red on the coast and orange everywhere else and downgrade when in progress is a wiser move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

After all the hype on main news and radio the last few days. We’re going with high yellow and orange for costal counties
    I know it’s very hard for Met Éireann to nail down but I fear we’re going to get the usual warning upgrade once the storm is in progress
    It’s too late then for people. Red on the coast and orange everywhere else and downgrade when in progress is a wiser move.

You have to go with what the guidance shows or else people lose total faith in warnings. As of now it’s not a red warning situation. GL mentioned a sting jet yesterday so it’s possible it could go red but unlikely it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

If they go red it will close schools business etc orange will go about your business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

This is how it should be done. The problem with this is Met Eireann tend to issue warnings by county. So if they go ahead an issue a red warning for all the counties along the west coast and the downgrade its likely schools and companies will have already taken the decision to close. Then the storm hits weaker then expected employers etc will complain.

Advertisement