Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Igotadose wrote: »
    Due process yinno - proof comes out, whether enough to convict or not is up to the Jury, the US Senate. This is going to be fun to watch.

And all the screaming and whining about it, really changes nothing. The Congress will grind along.

What's more concerning to due process, is the refusal to respond to Congressional requests from the WH and Trump's cabinet. If they refuse subpoenas, I think they can be jailed. That'd loosen them up.
    They can show up to the hearing and fulfill the subpoena. And give answers to any questions as they so wish. Corey Lewandowski’s testimony can serve as a guide and make a mockery out of the kangaroo court.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

notobtuse wrote: »
    They can show up to the hearing and fulfill the subpoena. And give answers to any questions as they so wish. Corey Lewandowski’s testimony can serve as a guide and make a mockery out of the kangaroo court.

So, you agree they should testify when asked?
    Must they be subpoenaed?

As for Lewandowski, when the attorney questioned him, his bad behavior ceased. And assuredly the Congress will bring in lawyers to question Sonderland, Volker et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Did they threaten to withhold billions of taxpayer money if it didn't happen?

Neither proven, but I can tell you have a favourite. U.S.A! as long as it's a Republican one.

Sure we might get to see his taxes yet ;)

So, you agree they should testify when asked?
    Must they be subpoenaed?

As for Lewandowski, when the attorney questioned him, his bad behavior ceased. And assuredly the Congress will bring in lawyers to question Sonderland, Volker et al.
    They should physically show up to a subpoena, and that's it. If Democrats in Congress want to keep ritually humiliating themselves, fine. But when the vast majority of Americans say they disapprove of the way Democrats are conducting a kangaroo court, and Republicans refuse to give credence to a unhinged mockery of justice, they really have no one but themselves to blame.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

They should physically show up to a subpoena, and that's it. If Democrats in Congress want to keep ritually humiliating themselves, fine. But when the vast majority of Americans say they disapprove of the way Democrats are conducting a kangaroo court, and Republicans refuse to give credence to a unhinged mockery of justice, they really have no one but themselves to blame.

You know Republicans are involved every step of the way? What you are peddling here is lies. There is no Democrat only, behind closed doors dealings going on.

• Advertisement

You know Republicans are involved every step of the way? What you are peddling here is lies. There is no Democrat only, behind closed doors dealings going on.
    What lies? Are Republicans allowed to ask questions in the hearings?

That reminds me of the standard Left talking points…
    Trump should go to jail!
    Why?
    For his crimes!
    What crimes?
    All of them!
    Please tell me what they are.
    Orange Man Bad!

As it stands, support for impeachment is up 21%. Among Republicans. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/new-poll-20-point-increase-impeachment-inquiry-republicans.html

Got any data other than Trump's tweets about disapproval of kangaroo courts? Or is it you, and your deity Trump's, continued babyish persecution complex whining that you're drawing on? There's no 'court' anywhere yet on impeachment. Just some congressional investigations. Like Benghazi was.

But, do keep echoing Trump tweets. Saves reading 4chan for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Trump should go to jail!
    Why?
    For his crimes!
    What crimes?
    All of them!
    Orange Man Bad!

I presume you spend a lot of time over at r/the_donald

As it stands, support for impeachment is up 21%. Among Republicans. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/new-poll-20-point-increase-impeachment-inquiry-republicans.html

Got any data other than Trump's tweets about disapproval of kangaroo courts? Or is it you, and your deity Trump's, continued babyish persecution complex whining that you're drawing on? There's no 'court' anywhere yet on impeachment. Just some congressional investigations. Like Benghazi was.

But, do keep echoing Trump tweets. Saves reading 4chan for the rest of us.
    I've heard of 4chan but have no idea what it is. Is it something you visit on a daily basis?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    I presume you spend a lot of time over at r/the_donald
    Speak English, please.

• Advertisement

I've heard of 4chan but have no idea what it is. Is it something you visit on a daily basis?

So, no data on kangaroo courts? Just your opinion then so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

The kangaroo court is the court of public opinion?

Of course it's my opinion... based on common sense observations.

Look at the title of the category we're posting in. I guess if you don't agree that people can have opinions you can always set up camp over at 4chan.

The kangaroo court is the court of public opinion?
    Not exactly...

Kangaroo Court
    an unofficial court held by a group of people in order to try someone regarded, especially without good evidence, as guilty of a crime or misdemeanor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Democrats didn’t even bother to have a floor vote of the full House to open an impeachment inquiry. By not holding a vote it has also allowed them to skirt the rules requiring such things as bipartisan questioning in hearings.

Two interviews where held in secret and more interviews are coming up which will also be held in secret. Having the proceedings kept secret from the American public is Orwellian, and an abuse of power. Why don’t the Democrats want us to know what’s going on? Why do they require that they get to feed and filter their biased narrative and have their scribes in the media spin it for them?

The obvious answer is the Democrats have a Shiff For Brains, and don’t believe in due process when it comes to Trump.

Trump should put their nonsense on display and request nobody answer any questions from the kangaroo court until a full House floor vote is taken and bipartisan questioning is allowed.

You’re clutching your pearls. Nothing new happening now that didn’t happen when GOP ran Congress - remember the drama about the Nunes/Schiff memos? Republicans don’t mind tilting transparency when it suits them. Now it’s your turn to sit back and pound sand :)

Not exactly...

Kangaroo Court
    an unofficial court held by a group of people in order to try someone regarded, especially without good evidence, as guilty of a crime or misdemeanor.
    Again: the trial is held in the senate.

0.4 billion, yes. They also threatened to withhold an in person meeting.

Trump should go to jail!
    Why?
    For his crimes!
    What crimes?
    All of them!
    Orange Man Bad!

You keep saying that Democrats are holding meetings behind closed doors. That's a lie. There are Republicans involved at every stage. You can pretend that's not the case, but you'd be lying.

Your little exercise above is childish.
    Democrats are conducting a kangaroo court.
    Not exactly...

Kangaroo Court

A little source material would be nice to back up your contention. Remember, though, Mad Magazine just shut down publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Wanna bet? It won't!

I guess they didn’t see the McConnell video :D

Did anyone watch the press briefing?

I’ve never seen a prosecutor in my life that didn’t want anyone to see the damning evidence so much.

I’ve never seen a guilty party so adamant that this damning evidence be released.

As the congressmen said. It’s a kangaroo court and Schiff is Captain Kangaroo.

By the way. There won’t be anymore interviews until the other two transcripts are released. They’re not having it. No more drip feeding information out of context and half truths.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I guess they didn’t see the McConnell video :D

Did anyone watch the press briefing?

I’ve never seen a prosecutor in my life that didn’t want anyone to see the damning evidence so much.

I’ve never seen a guilty party so adamant that this damning evidence be released.

As the congressmen said. It’s a kangaroo court and Schiff is Captain Kangaroo.

By the way. There won’t be anymore interviews until the other two transcripts are released. They’re not having it. No more drip feeding information out of context and half truths.

The White House is obstructing an impeachment inquiry into itself. Sondland (mr. “I think we should stop the back and forth by text”) indicates he wants to testify but was ordered not to. The President claimed responsibility for the order.

As said many times the trial happens in the senate. This is an investigatory phase.

• Advertisement

You keep saying that Democrats are holding meetings behind closed doors. That's a lie. There are Republicans involved at every stage. You can pretend that's not the case, but you'd be lying.

Your little exercise above is childish.
    I said the hearings are being held in secret, and they are. Is bipartisan questioning allowed? Don’t go pulling no Shifty Shiff, here. And I would tread lightly before accusing someone of lying... if you want to continue to post in this thread, anyway.
    https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2019/10/07/democrats-trying-to-impeach-trump-in-secret-hearings/
    A little source material would be nice to back up your contention. Remember, though, Mad Magazine just shut down publication.
    Here you go…
    https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/fresh-proof-dems-impeachment-inquiry-is-just-a-kangaroo-court/

I said the hearings are being held in secret, and they are. Is bipartisan questioning allowed? Don’t go pulling no Shifty Shiff, here. And I would tread lightly before accusing someone of lying... if you want to continue to post in this thread, anyway.
    https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2019/10/07/democrats-trying-to-impeach-trump-in-secret-hearings/

Here you go…
    https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/fresh-proof-dems-impeachment-inquiry-is-just-a-kangaroo-court/

There’s no new evidence in that blog piece by the very pro-trump editorial board at NewsCorp owned NYpost, just a bunch of whining and words being thrown around. No evidence of a kangaroo court which again happens when the Senate holds trial

Don’t blame Schiff he tried the open discourse method - his memo was then largely redacted by the WH, who I am sure would love nothing more than to see huge swaths of ‘redacted’ testimony released which through omission tries to paint Trump as innocent.

House now issuing subpoena to Sondland to testify.

All 3 engaged committees called the order to block his voluntary testimony today clear obstruction of justice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/gordon-sondland-key-us-official-in-political-storm-over-ukraine-to-be-deposed-in-impeachment-inquiry/2019/10/07/c3c1703e-e942-11e9-9306-47cb0324fd44_story.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not exactly...

Kangaroo Court

It isn't a trial, so there's no need to call witnesses for a defence. The House Committees are gathering evidence. If they vote to proceed with impeachment, it then goes to the Senate, at which point it effectively becomes a trial and the Senate Majority (in this case the GOP and McConnell) can proceed as a trial, allow witnesses, Trump to testify etc, before they then vote on whether or not to impeach the President.

What the Dems are doing now is pretty much grand jury stuff, establishing what evidence there is and if there is enough to warrant going to fully trial by the Senate.

Penn wrote: »
    It isn't a trial, so there's no need to call witnesses for a defence. The House Committees are gathering evidence. If they vote to proceed with impeachment, it then goes to the Senate, at which point it effectively becomes a trial and the Senate Majority (in this case the GOP and McConnell) can proceed as a trial, allow witnesses, Trump to testify etc, before they then vote on whether or not to impeach the President.

What the Dems are doing now is pretty much grand jury stuff, establishing what evidence there is and if there is enough to warrant going to fully trial by the Senate.
    I didn't say Republicans should be allowed to call witnesses. I said the Republicans should be allowed to ask questions of the people the Democrats have served with a subpoena or asked to testify. Why else would the Democrats not have called for a full floor vote to hold an inquiry, other than to not allow Republicans to ask questions so they can hold a kangaroo court?

The Democrats can fix the situation where Trump is telling someone not to comply with an 'invite.' Democrats can simply call for a vote and put an end to the one-sided process. Instead it looks like they'll start issuing subpoenas to everyone, and people can see Pelosi's no-vote-I-say-so impeachment inquiry sham for what it is.

And what the Democrats are doing is not like a grand jury... it's more like they believe they're the prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner.

I didn't say Republicans should be allowed to call witnesses. I said the Republicans should be allowed to ask questions of the people the Democrats have served with a subpoena or asked to testify. Why else would the Democrats not have called for a full floor vote to hold an inquiry, other than to not allow Republicans to ask questions so they can hold a kangaroo court?

The Democrats can fix the situation where Trump is telling someone not to comply with an 'invite.' Democrats can simply call for a vote and put an end to the one-sided process. Instead it looks like they'll start issuing subpoenas to everyone, and people can see Pelosi's no-vote-I-say-so impeachment inquiry sham for what it is.

Here is your argument deflated:

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/lindsey-graham-invites-rudy-giuliani-to-present-unsubstantiated-ukraine-claims-before-senate-judiciary-committee/

Lindsey Graham invites Guliani to testify about his Ukrainian conspiracy theories

The GOP remembered it chairs committees in the Senate

Here you go…

You said:
    Two interviews where held in secret and more interviews are coming up which will also be held in secret. Having the proceedings kept secret from the American public is Orwellian, and an abuse of power. Why don’t the Democrats want us to know what’s going on?

Ask the Republicans who were there.

Looks like the "crystal clear" "I think we should stop the back and forth by text" text authored by Sondland (who got his role by buying it for $1 million to Trump's inaugural fund) was vetted by Trump first

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1181569881533292544?s=20

You said:

Ask the Republicans who were there.
    That is correct. Your point is? I said they were being held in secret which makes it that the public doesn't know what is going on. Democrats have decided to release only limited snippets of testimony, out of context, to advance their agenda. Republicans are requesting the full transcripts be released. What would you rather see… limited or full? The whole 'inquiry' has been a sham of justice up to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Advertisement