Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best TV Show EVER - Boardsies Decide

Options
  • 23-09-2019 12:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from our War Movie Competition, it's time to go back to the battlefield, but this time for a different topic.

One I suspect will be incredibly diverse and divisive.

One that maybe should be categorised and some parameters set for nominations... but where's the fun in that :D

It's time for Boardsies to decide the Best TV Show EVER made!!!

giphy.gif

Here's how this will work:
    • PM me your top 5 TV Shows in no particular order
    • We'll leave it open for at least a week, depending on the volume of entries.
    • I'll collate the shows, sort by popularity, and those with the most votes will automatically go into the first round proper in one on one matches.
    • Instead of eliminating shows like I did in the last contest, what I will do instead is match up the unseeded entries in battle royale type matches. They will fight it out in a first to 5 votes scenario.
    • Then we'll open up for the first round proper, two shows fight it out. The first to 5 votes. Give reasons for your choice too, just to make it a bit interesting. No time limit, just the first to 5.
    • The winner goes to the next round, and repeat with the next two until we've halved the number
    • Depending on popularity of the contest (he says hopefully) votes need to progress will increase exponentially each round.
    • I'll try to seed the most popular shows (ie those submitted with the most votes) mentioned in the knock-out so we're not starting out with #1 and #2 the top nominated shows from the get go.

Right we are then. Let's get started :D

Comments

It's The Wire.

This thread can be closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Columbo, that's what I wudda done.

Just one more question...

columbo-main-pic.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

It's The Wire.

This thread can be closed.

Ah but where's the fun in that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

1. The Sopranos
    2. The Sopranos
    3. The Sopranos
    4. The Sopranos
    5. The Sopranos

• Advertisement

I still fancy Lucy.

Dallas-TV-Series-Cast-h1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You have to ask yourself, what is the show's legacy?
    I mean, the Wire and The Sopranos were very interesting shows to watch, innovative, they reshaped TV forever. But did they change you the viewer? Did they make such an impression that your very morality was reformed by the experience?

No

And that's why you need to have another think about what true greatness is :

Ostagazuzulum, Motherf***ers!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Campaigning for shows on this thread is very encouraged and supported :D

So far I'm thinking

The Simpsons
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    Chernobyl

stuck for a fifth

Garda Patrol - it wasn't sexy but it was very necessary. Especially if you'd seen a suspicious veh-hickle outside your post office earlier that week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

...stuck for a fifth

Let me help...

anigif_enhanced-10024-1401201997-1.gif

One of those advisors is Young Electric Nitwit!

Igneous of legend! He was a prick!

Can we pick specific episodes?
    Say, the 21st March 2009 edition of rte's six nations coverage? ;)

Can we pick specific episodes?
    Say, the 21st March 2009 edition of rte's six nations coverage? ;)

Eh... no.:pac:

OK, serious campaigning. Not many saw it the first time round I don't think, but I want to ring a bell for what a genuinely think is the best thing I've ever watched...

UTOPIA

Like nothing else in style. Dark, funny, horrifically violent and shocking at times, it was brilliant

Emmy for Best International Drama, 2014

David Fincher was going to remake it for HBO but it fell through, now Gillian Flynn is due to remake it for Amazon

The Guardian say "Channel 4 haven’t managed to match the uniqueness of Utopia’s pitch-black comedy and intrigue since"

And if that's not enough, the daily mail gave it zero stars saying "As television, it is beneath contempt. Anyone who watched this dross and was taken in by it should be ashamed of themselves" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think the winner is a lock, but I'll be curious as to how the rest pans out...

Picking five is very very difficult...

The Wire - Cast, writing, setting, Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit
    Breaking Bad - Cast, iconic moments, Hank Schrader
    Justified - Best Hero/Anti-Hero dynamic on TV, throughout the whole show.
    Friday Night Lights - Clear eyes, full hearts
    Parks & Recreation - Treat yo'self.

(Battlestar Galactica - if you need a sixth - so say we all)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Justified - Best Hero/Anti-Hero dynamic on TV, throughout the whole show.

Great shout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I know there's no parameters set, but I don't think shows that are still running should qualify. At least I'll not be entering any of them.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I know there's no parameters set, but I don't think shows that are still running should qualify. At least I'll not be entering any of them.

So you mean Grey's Anatomy won't qualify?

You monster :eek:

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Necro wrote: »
    So you mean Grey's Anatomy won't qualify?

You monster :eek:

:D:D

Was reminded when I saw PJ nominate The Simpsons :)

Only fools and horses is the winner

Better make sure it's nominated then Strawbs :P

6 entries so far, yay :)

quickbeam wrote: »
    Was reminded when I saw PJ nominate The Simpsons :)

The simpsons ended after season 11

OK, serious campaigning. Not many saw it the first time round I don't think, but I want to ring a bell for what a genuinely think is the best thing I've ever watched...

UTOPIA

Like nothing else in style. Dark, funny, horrifically violent and shocking at times, it was brilliant

And if that's not enough, the daily mail gave it zero stars saying "As television, it is beneath contempt. Anyone who watched this dross and was taken in by it should be ashamed of themselves" :p

Was this the thing with the asthmatic thug and Mr Rabbit?
    That was ****ing brilliant. I heard there was a 2nd season, haven't seen it, but the 1st season was brilliant - kind of like a horrifically violent and disturbing scooby doo episode that refused to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What no McGyver ATeam or Airwolf :0

You can nominate them if you like khalessi ;)

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Was this the thing with the asthmatic thug and Mr Rabbit?
    That was ****ing brilliant. I heard there was a 2nd season, haven't seen it, but the 1st season was brilliant - kind of like a horrifically violent and disturbing scooby doo episode that refused to end.

That's the one!

The second series wasn't as good but wasn't as big a drop off as you might imagine, and some of the story development was amazing. There was apparently a third written but C4 pulled the plug, it just wasn't getting the viewers. Shame, I really do put it number one on my list I think

Love your scooby doo description :p

Advertisement