Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Bia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Goeasy123

This will allow you to check any herd numbers QA status. So it's no big insider conspiracy. Publicly available site. Google will find it for anyone

https://qas.bordbia.ie/Beef/Verify/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Muckit wrote: »
    I wonder how much info have the factory access to? Like is it red light/green light about who is QA certified or have they access to info on exact date when your QA period lapses.

Is it them or BB that have to figure out movements?

How can l as a farmer check the no of movements of my stock? Blue card signing is not one bit reliable.

Factory know exactly when QA is out.otherwise how could they know who is or isn't in the scheme ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

grassroot1 wrote: »
    If you dont have an off farm job.
    If you are anal about keeping dockets receipts and paperwork.
    if you don't have breeding sheep or cattle.
    If you don't get snowed under at the busy times.
    If you can be ready at the drop of a hat to sit for 4 hours scroling through spread sheets and records.

Have no real time for Bord Bia but lets be realistic here.Any farmer who has difficulty passing it has bigger problems than he realises.Its basically a box ticking exercise that takes about an hour once every 18 months.
    For me ,10 cents a kilo is approx 2 euro plus per lamb so well worthwhile.No brainer really.
    Whats the difficulty with having breeding stock?That's all that's here apart from a few weanlings/store cattle bought in .
    How would an audit snow you under?
    As regards receipts etc all most look for is a knackery docket or two ,a couple of dispatch dockets ,2 scripts from the vet and a couple of meal dockets.All takes about 5 minutes to write into the relevant book.
    Hate to break the bad news but keeping the paperwork in order is a legal requirement whether you are QA or not.Plus it pays much better per hour than any other type of farmwork I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I still haven't heard who actually places the Bord Bia labels on in the meat factories. Like do factories print the labels with permission from Bord Bia and stick them on themselves - most likely and therefore not worth the paper they are printed on as we know when it comes to meat factories labeling food they can be very fluid with the actual truth.
    Or have Bord Bia got inspectors in factories that over see the whole process and then when they are satisfied that everything is correct and above board do they label the food as Bord Bia certified?

Bordbia wouldn't be printing the packaging thatd be all in the hands of the factories. I hope there is a contract in place where the factories face penalties if they're found to be putting the bordbia mark on non QA meat. As far as how the enforcement by bordbia on the factories takes place I hope its through audits of their books and surprise inspections in the factories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Factory know exactly when QA is out.otherwise how could they know who is or isn't in the scheme ?

I'm on about GDPR. Bord Bia have my details. All factory needs to know is Yes lm certified or no im not on day of kill in order to pay bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Anyone know when you sign up to BB do you give them permission to share your personal data, how much of it and who with?

I bought a bull off a man nine years ago, he gave me his herd number in order to transfer the bull to my herd. I don't think that he gave BB permission to share his current status with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have no respect for Bord bia here. They make us jump through all the hoops, but turn a blind eye to all the lambs that come on the ferry from across the water whenever supplies run short. They said it’s not their job to monitor the factory line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Have no respect for Bord bia here. They make us jump through all the hoops, but turn a blind eye to all the lambs that come on the ferry from across the water whenever supplies run short. They said it’s not their job to monitor the factory line.

There's enough public service in the factories to police it, vets, AOs etc.......... if they choose to do it.
    Bord Bia should be able to leave the responsibility with them,

wrangler wrote: »
    There's enough public service in the factories to police it, vets, AOs etc.......... if they choose to do it.
    Bord Bia should be able to leave the responsibility with them,

Anytime I’ve been an the factory line, the vets etc are flat out checking livers etc, everything is chopped up and mixed up together the other side. Where’s the traceability in that. Especially during the winter months when maybe up to 20-30% of daily kill in some factories comes off the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anytime I’ve been an the factory line, the vets etc are flat out checking livers etc, everything is chopped up and mixed up together the other side. Where’s the traceability in that. Especially during the winter months when maybe up to 20-30% of daily kill in some factories comes off the boat.

We threatened to block UK lamb coming in. They (UK) in return threatened to block Irish beef going out.

That finished that. Beef more important than sheep.

• Advertisement

They really only have to convince the customers buyer, undermining them on here is only shooting ourselves in the foot,
    Every extra procedure, every extra check on the line demanded will further reduce the price to the farmer.

They really only have to convince the customers buyer, undermining them on here is only shooting ourselves in the foot,
    Every extra procedure, every extra check on the line demanded will further reduce the price to the farmer.

That doesn't make it right though. Disagree with you on the extra checks. The lack of checks is exactly what’s pushing prices down. Whenever they get scarce, they just import more instead of giving us a few cent extra. Same as how they use the feedlots with the beef, they use the boat with us.

That doesn't make it right though. Disagree with you on the extra checks. The lack of checks is exactly what’s pushing prices down. Whenever they get scarce, they just import more instead of giving us a few cent extra. Same as how they use the feedlots with the beef, they use the boat with us.

English price is about €4 -€4.20 at the moment, Irish lamb has to compete against that.
    Canadian beef now is £2.60/kg and the English are looking forward to being allowed import that so we're lucky we're at sheep

Last weeks english sheep price, it's probably plus the vat
    http://beefandlamb.ahdb.org.uk/markets/deadweight-price-reports/deadweight-sheep-price-reporting/

If supervisors aren't doing their job on the line, putting two more on won't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Disagree with having less checks. In yesterdays independent the following was stated "Bord Bia said the practice is being carried out within Bord Bia's Quality Assured logo guidelines. Any products carrying the Bord Bia Origin Ireland logo have been verified 100pc Irish meat". To be able to state this demands tight oversight on all aspects of the supply chain. The statement itself is definitive and reassuring. I thought myself it was a brave statement as to be able to state something is 100% without qualification is significant.

We cannot have lax controls, lax controls will eventually lead to abuse of the system and we will end up once again having a food scandal. While extra checks and oversight costs money the consumer will not thank the industry should the s**** hit the fan if we scale back on oversight and checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Full traceability. Farm to Fork. As a board bia certified farmer, l would love to b able to log in and see what countrysi dinner table the beef l supply eventually ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

orm0nd wrote: »

We threatened to block UK lamb coming in. They (UK) in return threatened to block Irish beef going out.

That finished that. Beef more important than sheep.

So no problem with nomad lambs but no cattle can become nomad's in the UK,,....... Sorry they can during s protest or strike. It all loaded against the farmer. The real question is are these lambs marketed as QA'ed. Is it labeled as Irish lamb

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Bord Bia Audit passed. I reappraised my stance on auditors as l posted previously. I was angry l suppose at the time. My "beef" is with the system l thought, not the ordinary man on the ground. So why would l vent my frustration at a fellow parttime farmer like myself out to earn a crust?

So l checked my attitude and got my business in order.

My mother, although no longer involved in the farm but still geographically living beside it, became an unplanned part of the welcoming committee. The auditor, weliies at the door, was already sitting in her kitchen drinking tea and eating homemade cake by the time l came from work and arrived at the yard!!

I was 5 minutes early for the appointed time, but l hadn't factored in that he might arrive even earlier! So the sight of him swaying in my mothers rocking chair by the range took me by surprise and brought a smile to my face!

Joking about how things had played out, we made our way towards the door and got about our business, walking out the yard and then on to see the stock.

After some questions and final bit of paperwork, l was handed my papers. All passed. Job done.

Its not difficult to pass,

Sorry wrangler but BB is a joke . I used to get a near perfect score in audit. 99% actually and that 1% was through auditor error because his palm top computer would not allow him to go back to correct mistakes. I put up with this till a little butty f***er from north Meath came in to audit and had a Cobb on him from the moment he arrived. Made personal remarks such as I must be a builder as a farmer couldn’t afford to have a farm looking this well. I thought I could humour the little ****e and he wasted three hours of my time and then failed me. He even put in extra issues that were non existent such as plastic wrap around the farm yard. I have a skip I the yard 24/7 ????? No plastic blowin around. He got giddy when challenged also. It finished me with what was a near perfect score with QA since it’s inception. **** that. Dept might have stripes to make little of me if that is their mood but not a jumped up little ****e full of attitude. Flipping quango

That should be “guffy” when challenged. Can’t edit for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Bord Bia Audit passed.  I reappraised my stance on auditors as l posted previously.  I was angry l suppose at the time.  My "beef" is with the system l thought, not the ordinary man on the ground.  So why would l vent my frustration at a fellow parttime farmer like myself out to earn a crust?

My mother, although no longer involved in the farm but still geographically living beside it, became an unplanned part of the welcoming committee.  The auditor,  weliies at the door, was already sitting in her kitchen drinking tea and eating homemade cake by the time l came from work and arrived at the yard!!

I was 5 minutes early for the appointed time, but l hadn't factored in that he might arrive even earlier!  So the sight of him swaying in my mothers rocking chair by the range took me by surprise and brought a smile to my face!

Joking about how things had played out, we made our way towards the door and got about our business, walking out the yard and then on to see the stock.  

After some questions and final bit of paperwork, l was handed my papers.  All passed.  Job done.

Sorry wrangler but BB is a joke . I used to get a near perfect score in audit. 99% actually and that 1% was through auditor error because his palm top computer would not allow him to go back to correct mistakes. I put up with this till a little butty  f***er from north Meath came in to audit and had a Cobb on him from the moment he arrived. Made personal remarks such as I must be a builder as a farmer couldn’t afford to have a farm looking this well. I thought I could humour the little ****e and he wasted three hours of my time and then failed me. He even put in extra issues that were non existent such as plastic wrap around the farm yard. I have a skip I the yard 24/7 ????? No plastic blowin around. He got giddy when challenged also. It finished me with what was a near perfect score with QA since it’s inception. **** that. Dept might have stripes to make little of me if that is their mood but not a jumped up little ****e full of attitude. Flipping quango
    Did you or could you appeal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was 5 minutes early for the appointed time, but l hadn't factored in that he might arrive even earlier! So the sight of him swaying in my mothers rocking chair by the range took me by surprise and brought a smile to my face
    You,d want to watch the mother on them auditor feckers

Bullocks wrote: »
    Cattlepen wrote: »
    Bord Bia Audit passed.  I reappraised my stance on auditors as l posted previously.  I was angry l suppose at the time.  My "beef" is with the system l thought, not the ordinary man on the ground.  So why would l vent my frustration at a fellow parttime farmer like myself out to earn a crust?

My mother, although no longer involved in the farm but still geographically living beside it, became an unplanned part of the welcoming committee.  The auditor,  weliies at the door, was already sitting in her kitchen drinking tea and eating homemade cake by the time l came from work and arrived at the yard!!

I was 5 minutes early for the appointed time, but l hadn't factored in that he might arrive even earlier!  So the sight of him swaying in my mothers rocking chair by the range took me by surprise and brought a smile to my face!

After some questions and final bit of paperwork, l was handed my papers.  All passed.  Job done.

Sorry wrangler but BB is a joke . I used to get a near perfect score in audit. 99% actually and that 1% was through auditor error because his palm top computer would not allow him to go back to correct mistakes. I put up with this till a little butty  f***er from north Meath came in to audit and had a Cobb on him from the moment he arrived. Made personal remarks such as I must be a builder as a farmer couldn’t afford to have a farm looking this well. I thought I could humour the little ****e and he wasted three hours of my time and then failed me. He even put in extra issues that were non existent such as plastic wrap around the farm yard. I have a skip I the yard 24/7 ????? No plastic blowin around. He got giddy when challenged also. It finished me with what was a near perfect score with QA since it’s inception. **** that. Dept might have stripes to make little of me if that is their mood but not a jumped up little ****e full of attitude. Flipping quango
    Did you or could you appeal ?

I could have appealed but I was just so sickened with the whole thing I let it go to hell and sold stick in the mart instead

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

Cattlepen wrote:
    I could have appealed but I was just so sickened with the whole thing I let it go to hell and sold stick in the mart instead

They tell u what you failed on, so remedy that and appeal. The appeal person may be the same person. Failed here a few years ago, right p***k to be honest. Appealed decision and low and behold same fella arrived for reinspection. I actually learned more from that upstart especially the medicines side of thing. No issues since and last 2 lads were grand. But in fairness it's all down to the records of the medicine and withdrawal period.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Passed the bord bia audit today. No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭older by the day

Passed the bord bia audit today. No bother.
    Depends on the auditor, some are legends in their own mind. I got a bit of hero coming in a couple of day, hopefully the storm won't carry him #

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Depends on the auditor, some are legends in their own mind. I got a bit of hero coming in a couple of day, hopefully the storm won't carry him #

A fella came here, in his late 20s. Farming at home with his old fella. Very relaxed lad. He was nearly 2 hours late, but we got sorted when arrived.

Bord bia funding coming under the spotlight.

From Todays farming Indo. What have they to hide?????

"Bord Bia won't divulge figures on level of cash support from processors"

I read the article this morning, they claim that finding the figure would " cause a substantial and unreasonable interference with or disruption to bord bias work" . Seriously, can you imagine if a farmer got audited by the tax man, and they asked you for a breakdown of your income. How far would giving them that type of answer get you ? In this day and age, bird bia should have that info ready at the touch of a button.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

tbh I'm kinda surprised, I thought they only operated on the money levied on us and money direct from gov

• Advertisement

In the era of good governance especially in this case a public body it is not acceptable. When you have a public body not willing to be transparent how can we expect any transparency from other stakeholders in the beef chain.

Advertisement