Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard of films comedy today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Wooden actors? Bergman, Bogart and Rains had shelf loads of awards like Oscars, Tonys, Emmys as well as nominations between them.

Yes, back in the 40s and surrounding decades. What we expect from actors (and movies in general) has changed. Few of those performances would be considered noteworthy if they were done in an identical fashion today (and removed from their historical context). I really don’t get why the notion that we judge things in the context of their time is a difficult one to understand.

Put it this way: if Casablanca hadn’t been made in the early 40s, and an identical movie was made this year - with the exact same script, performances, sets, editing - would it be considered a classic? I think the answer is obviously no. It’s a classic now because it was a classic then, and that historical context is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yes, back in the 40s and surrounding decades. What we expect from actors (and movies in general) has changed. Few of those performances would be considered noteworthy if they were done in an identical fashion today (and removed from their historical context). I really don’t get why the notion that we judge things in the context of their time is a difficult one to understand.

Put it this way: if Casablanca hadn’t been made in the early 40s, and an identical movie was made this year - with the exact same script, performances, sets, editing - would it be considered a classic? I think the answer is obviously no. It’s a classic now because it was a classic then, and that historical context is important.

It was also set during the war while the war was ongoing. That raw, contemporary aspect alone is a relevance that it couldn’t possibly replicate today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Hobosan wrote: »
    Screen acting has vastly improved since those days. It's a young art form, nothing surprising about the fact acting in many old films was bit odd.
    In general it has improved but Bogart, Bergman and Rains would still hold their own today in a world where Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson are two of the biggest stars. Casablanca is not considered great by most critics because most of the other films of its time were poor but because it is still great even compared to more modern films.

Lol. That’s the attitude alright. People seem to believe it even though the inbetweeners is a perfect example of the contrary.

The Inbetweeners first aired over a decade ago.

Times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

biko wrote: »
    Don't worry, Hollywood will rehash and destroy Casablanca like so many other movies.

They did with Pamela Anderson in the 90s kept the storyline but changed the name and setting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

What would count as a non PC comedy? Any examples?

Four lions? Written by the comedic genius Chris Morris and tracking the trials and tribulations of 4 Muslim, would be suicide bombers in the UK. Its incredible. I don't know if you'd call it non PC actually, it doesn't poke fun at any of the modern "outrage/trigger" topics in the states (race, gender), but the subject matter is very much taboo imo. The result is one of the best and darkest comedies you'll see

Not sure what year it was made, but definitely post 2001 anyway. I think it puts a point firmly on the board for modern comedies, and it isn't the usual shock college humour of the frat pack style movies, also shows that edgy original comedy still has a place on the big screen

The Inbetweeners first aired over a decade ago.

Times change.

I thought you were joking. Of course it would be made today. The movies (like them or not) were made since.

I honestly thought you were being ironic because what you said is so likely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Exactly as the poster above said, people have ruined comedy by wanting to be offended by every small little thing.

Stand up comedy is in the absolute doldrums because of these pussies.

If they have to be funny by taking out the joke on somebody maybe theyre just not that funny? The funniest people I know make everybody in the room laugh, and dont need somebody there to be used as a butt to get their laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

McLoughlin wrote: »
    They did with Pamela Anderson in the 90s kept the storyline but changed the name and setting

Barb Wire, was it? can't really remember the storyline of that one

Das Rich wrote: »
    A you mad? A tv programme where a bunch of young lads use words like 'bent' as an insult? And have a less than enlightened view of women?

Come off it lad, it wouldn't get made today, the fun police wouldn't allow it.

Peep show is another.

Totally disagree. Those are recent examples of how these things are still being made, despite all the people who rave about PC gone mad. Peep show brought out another season only a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I can’t use any examples of shoes that haven’t been made yet, but good shows are still being made.

But on the point about the inbetweeners calling each other bent: gay isn’t really an insult like it was back a couple of decades ago. When I was in school you’d be terrified of people thinking you were gay but now it’s not such an issue. It wouldn’t be part of a comedy about young people now as a result of that fact more than any Machiavellian machinations by the PC brigade.

I think one aspect of this discussion is that people don’t want comedy to change to represent the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A lot of things that people here often reference as being classics are actually very mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

wakka12 wrote: »
    If they have to be funny by taking out the joke on somebody maybe theyre just not that funny? The funniest people I know make everybody in the room laugh, and dont need somebody there to be used as a butt to get their laughs

Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor.

Arguably 2 of the greatest stand up comedians of all time, if they did a show now like they did in the 70s and 80s they would be ****ing destroyed by the media and the freaks.

Just look at Kevin Hart for the perfect example, was basically forced out of hosting the Oscars because of tweets he put out years before.

Arguably 2 of the greatest stand up comedians of all time, if they did a show now like they did in the 70s and 80s they would be ****ing destroyed by the media and the freaks.

Just look at Kevin Hart for the perfect example, was basically forced out of hosting the Oscars because of tweets he put out years before.

This is exactly what I keep saying. If Murphy and Pryor did their sets today they would never get anywhere because the jokes they made are not relevant anymore. They could do modern contemporary jokes but you might or might not find them funny if you like he old jokes you’ve heard a dozen times before.

The notion that you can’t make edgy jokes is totally disproved by the likes of Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr. Do any of you go to local stand up comedy clubs? I go with a group from work and I can tell you They make all kinds of jokes (including lots of not very funny ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wakka12 wrote: »

There are stand up comedians around today who are just as non-pc as Murphy and Hart.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What would count as a non PC comedy? Any examples?

Juvenal (c.55 – 127 AD) was a Roman satirical poet.

But we don't know what was acceptable at the time so we have no idea how edgy he was. Though he did get banished to Egypt and had all his property confiscated

A lot of it would be non-PC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

Come to think of it, is the Inbetweeners the last decent comedy series to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Totally agree with op.

In fact, I have just seen the Lego Batman film tonight.

It is loaded with laughs and funny lines. Much more than you'd get in a 'proper' comedy film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It feels as if every comedy is now either a lame "rom-com" aimed at the 18-40 female cohort or a shoddy gross out (mixed with a strain of gooey sentiment) comedy of the painfully obvious acted out by obnoxious loud mouths for the college jock crowd. There are some good one being made I'm sure but bet not many reach your local fleapit.

I suppose they're seen as too much of a risk, even the ones with big stars (Tina Fey, Seth Rogen) aren't guaranteed successes.

There have been a few good ones lately though:
    -The Death of Stalin
    -Tully
    -The Final Girls
    What We Do in the Shadows
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Most of the money goes into TV comedy which probably has more predictable returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

From a different context, but just to show that "everything was grand in my day, and the world is going to hell in a handcart now" is nothing new when it comes to standards. This was written in England in 1967, harking back to a golden age 20 years before.

It is unfortunate but true that during the last 20 years or so there has been a steady decline in general standards of behaviour and what can only be called " the attitude of the individual." History shows that this is one of the results of war and its aftermath, when all sorts of things are done for reasons of expediency or in the exigencies of the moment. Inevitably, this tends to engender an off -hand attitude to what is right, carried on into the day-to-day life of too many individuals.

In the end, it becomes the done thing to " work a quick one if you can get away with it." This leads to a deterioration of standards generally, as evidenced (to quote only one example) by the coarse vulgarity of much of what is shown on TV, and the witless ignorance of many people whose opinions are publicised merely because they happen to be notorious.

I recently came across an article complaining that all Hollywood produces now is sequels ... it was written in 1972.

This is exactly what I keep saying. If Murphy and Pryor did their sets today they would never get anywhere because the jokes they made are not relevant anymore. They could do modern contemporary jokes but you might or might not find them funny if you like he old jokes you’ve heard a dozen times before.

The notion that you can’t make edgy jokes is totally disproved by the likes of Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr. Do any of you go to local stand up comedy clubs? I go with a group from work and I can tell you They make all kinds of jokes (including lots of not very funny ones)

Take Raw as an example. If he was to keep mainly the same jokes but change the people being mentioned, would it be seen as a success or completely slated by critics trying to please all the offended communities?

"that's a real fag on the roof" just imagine the bleeding hearts if he said that in a show in 2019.

"I got rules, ******s aren't allowed look at my ass when I'm on stage". What would the reaction be to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    Come to think of it, is the Inbetweeners the last decent comedy series to be made?

It's always sunny in Philadelphia is streets ahead imo

Take Raw as an example. If he was to keep mainly the same jokes but change the people being mentioned, would it be seen as a success or completely slated by critics trying to please all the offended communities?

"that's a real fag on the roof" just imagine the bleeding hearts if he said that in a show in 2019.

"I got rules, ******s aren't allowed look at my ass when I'm on stage". What would the reaction be to that?

The first reaction to it would probably be "why is he doing jokes from the 80s?"

Gays, gays potentially raping straight men, AIDS and other STIs were relevant topics of conversation at the time so they were represented in the comedy. Does anyone see a gay and say "look out lads, queer about, backs to the wall". Do you find that kind of joke funny or do you lust like when Murphy did them for nostalgia's sake?

The first reaction to it would probably be "why is he doing jokes from the 80s?"

Gays, gays potentially raping straight men, AIDS and other STIs were relevant topics of conversation at the time so they were represented in the comedy. Does anyone see a gay and say "look out lads, queer about, backs to the wall". Do you find that kind of joke funny or do you lust like when Murphy did them for nostalgia's sake?

As i said, if he was to adjust the wording to suit the time I would most likely find it funny. I adore comedy that makes people uncomfortable and courts controversy, they're jokes and let's be honest, people shouldn't be offended by them.

BurnUp78 wrote: »

Nope.

Have you stopped looking for comedy series or what? I'm not going to tell you the new shows I think are funny but I will say I love the inbetweeners and I haven't had much trouble finding new comedies. Loads of shows i don't like but that's fine. I don't expect every show to be made for my demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As i said, if he was to adjust the wording to suit the time I would most likely find it funny. I adore comedy that makes people uncomfortable and courts controversy, they're jokes and let's be honest, people shouldn't be offended by them.

Sounds like a boring joke back to be honest, either back then or now. You are sure you're talking about 'humour' here, right? Offensive or otherwise?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Benny Hill ;)

Never saw it. I’m familiar with the chase scenes with the benny hill music.

Was it good? Would it stand up today?

No it wasn't good, I wrote that in jest, it was the first thing that entered my head when thinking about un-pc comedy. It was an awful bawdy sexist show from the 1970s that's best left there.

It certainly wouldn't stand up today.

I don't understand the premise. Is he doing new jokes or is he doing jokes on the same topics with different wording?

If he was doing jokes about worrying about gays looking at his arse, then it wouldn't really be relevant. Most people have gotten over the fear of gays since Raw was made. I don't think you're giving enough credit to Murphy for making jokes that were relevant to the time.

I don't know if Murphy could make a brand new routine with jokes that are relevant to today. I don't see why he couldn't do it if he wanted to. His stuff was funny back then so he could most likely make some joke for today if he can put his finger on the pulse of today's anxieties and come up with the material

I don't understand the premise. Is he doing new jokes or is he doing jokes on the same topics with different wording?

If he was doing jokes about worrying about gays looking at his arse, then it wouldn't really be relevant. Most people have gotten over the fear of gays since Raw was made. I don't think you're giving enough credit to Murphy for making jokes that were relevant to the time.

I don't know if Murphy could make a brand new routine with jokes that are relevant to today. I don't see why he couldn't do it if he wanted to. His stuff was funny back then so he could most likely make some joke for today if he can put his finger on the pulse of today's anxieties and come up with the material

With the rumours of him getting a Netflix deal, hopefully we get to see if he can adapt.

Sounds like a boring joke back to be honest, either back then or now. You are sure you're talking about 'humour' here, right? Offensive or otherwise?

His 2 stand up films are widely regarded as the best stand ups of all time. Yes, very humorous.

• Advertisement

With the rumours of him getting a Netflix deal, hopefully we get to see if he can adapt.

Ok. Just so I know, we’re you talking about him doing the same jokes with different working or brand new jokes?

Advertisement