Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Scotland Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think this depends on the conditions. There was a lot of handling errors due to the weather conditions. In those conditions the box kick becomes a viable tactic. If the weather was better I'm not sure we'd see as many kicks.

Could be the case. I'd be surprised if we don't kick a couple of contestables in Kolbe's direction tho. To be fair to him, he did extremely well with his fielding against NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

That would be a forward pass, by your own image. Stockdale assumed a pass from the original player, but he was covered, McGrath ended up with the ball, Stockdale was a foot or two ahead, so the pass was not on at all. McGrath couldn't do a thing to get him the ball at that point.

Yeah, I don't buy that. That's precisely what you want to do.

If you actually looked at the image I posted you would notice that the arrow I put on it was slightly pointing backwards, hence not a forward pass.

Also, I'm not UNDULY criticising because I'm not making a huge deal about it, merely responding to all the "protectors" of their player that are too biased to make any reasonable comment on the matter.

Yes he should have passed it straight to Stockdale's arse.

That is absolutely exactly what should have happened, Stockdale would have gathered the ball in a stopped position and then advanced, it's not difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If you actually looked at the image I posted you would notice that the arrow I put on it was slightly pointing backwards, hence not a forward pass.

Also, I'm not UNDULY criticising because I'm not making a huge deal about it, merely responding to all the "protectors" of their player that are too biased to make any reasonable comment on the matter.

The image shows nothing of the sort :confused: It shows that if McGrath passed it flat Stockdale would have to reach behind to grab it - at best. At no stage when McGrath had the ball was Stockdale in a proper position to receive a pass. Stockdale was running a line off Farrell and didn't adjust in time to take a pass from McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

aloooof wrote: »
    Could be the case. I'd be surprised if we don't kick a couple of contestables in Kolbe's direction tho. To be fair to him, he did extremely well with his fielding against NZ.

I would keep the ball as far away from him as possible for as long as possible to be honest

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The image shows nothing of the sort :confused: It shows that if McGrath passed it flat Stockdale would have to reach behind to grab it - at best. At no stage when McGrath had the ball was Stockdale in a proper position to receive a pass. Stockdale was running a line off Farrell and didn't adjust in time to take a pass from McGrath.

Stockdale had retreated to the position in the image to recieve the pass, it clearly shows it in the image I posted, he is waiting to receive the ball and facing McGrath open stance, if the ball had come to him he would have caught it and then started to move forward.
    As long as the pass was flat and direct to his mid-section Stockdale would have caught that without any issue.
    Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say on the matter, agree or disagree but I stand by the image, it was a clear opportunity missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

7. Conan was very solid too, but I think he gave away 2 penalties? Does any one know what the penalty count was? Seemed to be extremely disciplined. Thought Beirne was unlucky for his yellow.
    We conceded seven penalties. Imo, one of Conan's was pretty harsh. He was penalised for tackling a player without the ball, but it looked to me like the ball and the tackle arrived at the same time. Beirne's yellow was also a bit harsh, but it was in the red zone and he should have left the ball alone, once he'd gone off his feet. Tbh, Barnes reffed the match well and I think he's going to be missed when he retires.

Just on the stats. We only missed 8 tackles. Scotland missed 15. Ryan and Conan were the top tacklers with 14 apiece and none missed. JvdF and CJ were next highest with 10/0 each. That's over a quarter of the tackles made by those three back rows alone. And not one missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Barnes reffed the match well and I think he's going to be missed when he retires.

He used to be number one on my hit list, but over the last few years he's after lightening up a little and seems to be enjoying himself.

He used to be the definition of stop / start, but these days he really lets the game flow. He's also become a great communicator and can he heard encouraging good play.

Probably the best referee in the world these days.

He used to be number one on my hit list, but over the last few years he's after lightening up a little and seems to be enjoying himself.

He used to be the definition of stop / start, but these days he really lets the game flow. He's also become a great communicator and can he heard encouraging good play.

Probably the best referee in the world these days.
    My favourite is his "good listening" when a player who's told to leave the ball or some other such instruction, complies immediately. :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think Beirne’s was fair when you consider the circumstances (Scotland on the attack, ball in the red zone, Ireland scrambling).

However I took that as Beirne taking one for the team more than anything. No Complaints here really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Was the Dylan Hartley sending off in the Premiership final the turning point? ;)

Was the Dylan Hartley sending off in the Premiership final the turning point? ;)
    Probably was one of those moments when you re-evaluate your opinion alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Barnes was always a great communicator, I have always had time for him as a ref, even when you might disagree with a call, you understood his reasoning.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Barnes was always a great communicator, I have always had time for him as a ref, even when you might disagree with a call, you understood his reasoning.
    Ah, he wasn't really. I used to call him 'silent night'. No warnings, no instructions, just the whistle. Frustrating for players and fans alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

He used be a disaster for refusing to engage with captains when he'd made a decision. Has improved immensely in the past few years on that front.

Still not convinced on his refereeing of the breakdown though - he always seems to give teams a bit too long to do what he's asking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Love the call he made yesterday on the scrum against Scotland.
    "I just thought you made a half step to the left." I actually didn't spot the foot-work myself but they definitely drove at an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hope we (and the media) don't lose the run of ourselves like we do every four years..with talk of semi's and the final :cool:

it was a p!ss poor scottish side we were playing, lets keep things in perspective before we jump on the glory train

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

fryup wrote: »
    i hope we (and the media) don't lose the run of ourselves like we do every four years..with talk of semi's and the final :cool:

it was a p!ss poor scottish side we were playing, lets keep things in perspective before we jump on the glory train

Too late!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have the day booked off for the home coming parade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fairly sure I saw a delivery of 4 years supply of trophy polish going into 10 Lansdowne Road this morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Someone better tell Canterbury to cancel the World Champions ad and burn the thousands of world cup winner t-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I read that if Aki and O'Mahony pass there HIA2 and HIA3 tests they can train on Tuesday and Thursday and be available for Saturdays game.

Aki should be told no body collisions until the South Africa game, he has this technique where he runs full force into an oposition player

I look forward to reading all the complaints about how crappy and out of place the star added to the Ireland jersey is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I look forward to reading all the complaints about how crappy and out of place the star added to the Ireland jersey is.

It'll look better in 2027. 3 stars has the best look to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

All in all tho, hard not to be extremely pleased with that performance. The hype is gonna be huge come the QF. In Joe we Trust!

injoe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭crossman47

Ah, he wasn't really. I used to call him 'silent night'. No warnings, no instructions, just the whistle. Frustrating for players and fans alike.

I'm not a big rugby fan but this is how it should be. If a player is committing a foul, penalise him unless there is an advantage to be played. I can't stand this "hands off" lark; players should know the rules and, if they break them, blow your whistle. They'll soon learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crossman47 wrote: »
    I'm not a big rugby fan but this is how it should be. If a player is committing a foul, penalise him unless there is an advantage to be played. I can't stand this "hands off" lark; players should know the rules and, if they break them, blow your whistle. They'll soon learn.
    That is so wrong. People who insist on this have no appreciation for the game. You just have a whistle fest then which is what nobody wants if you penalise everything. You dont ref exactly to the letter of the law or you have way more penalties. You see where there is advantage or if there isnt a need to penalise player but just have a word at the next stoppage. Increase level of sanction if you have to later

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I remember getting a ref mike when he was in charge one day, I had to check it about 20 minutes in to make sure it was still on, he was a disaster!!!

He has gotten MUCH better in the last 2 years, I think the France Wales fiasco in the 6 nations 2 years ago might have been his turning point....
    I think he will get the final to be honest unless England get there

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    You can compete for the ball until a ruck is formed. It's not always possible to see that when your head is stuck over the ball. It's also a matter of interpretation as to when you have won the ball in that situation, depending on who the referee is. By the strict letter of the law, a tackled player must release the ball immediately when the tackle is completed. The instant an opposition player has his hands on the ball and the tackled player holds on, it should be a penalty. It never is.

Advertisement