Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you miss RTÉ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

mrmorgan wrote: »
    there is a very easy way to fix RTE!!

get rid of Tubridy!!

Who'd present the Late Late Show when he's gone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes of course considering the vast majority of domestic current affairs broadcasting across TV / radio is brought to us by RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Paschal Sheey reporting on a Turkish asylum seeker opening a barber shop in Castlerea and how immigration is a complete success. Of course I'd miss RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The mainstream political parties will never allow RTE to fail, what would they do for a propaganda machine? The only reason FG have not granted them a licence increase so far is, because after all the fcuk ups FG have had with the cooperation of FF, RTE is a bridge too far for the moment.
    Wait 'til after the GE and whichever one of the pair of them has the upper hand, RTE will be granted an increase as an "essential part of Irish Life".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Maybe thats why they don't get rid of The Angelus. Get rid of it and it will raise the.more obvious question.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

I would miss Cathal Murry's Late Date most of all.

RTE radio one has some very good stuff from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe thats why they don't get rid of The Angelus. Get rid of it and it will raise the.more obvious question.

They won't get rid of it because ah shur God love the aul wans, they'd be fierce upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Dampsquid wrote: »
    I would miss -

Sports coverage on TV/Radio
    Prime Time investigates and other news coverage
    Elections coverage - who else would do it?
    Prime Time investigates is all propaganda

I watch very little apart from RTÉ so I’d definitely miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The only thing i watch on Rte these days is the Gaa and even then i go to a lot of games anyway!

If it went off the air in the morning well good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Doblin wrote: »
    Prime Time investigates is all propaganda

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/RobCross247/status/1175542181840527360

RTE flies ad executives to Japan for World Cup. Front of the Sindo, more controversy for RTE. Their pleas for money are not credible with such wastage.

RTE also flew a Commentators, sound engineers, camera people to Japan when, as seen with today when the commentary went down, they could have just used the World Feed Commentary which had Eddie Buttler.

The cost of sending Commentators out and putting them up in hotels for nearly 2 months will cost them easily 6 figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE also flew a Commentators, sound engineers, camera people to Japan when, as seen with today when the commentary went down, they could have just used the World Feed Commentary which had Eddie Buttler.

The cost of sending Commentators out and putting them up in hotels for nearly 2 months will cost them easily 6 figures.

They appear to be only showing the Ireland games for the group stages, do all the staff they flew over sit around playing cards for the gap in the 5-7 days that we play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

They appear to be only showing the Ireland games for the group stages, do all the staff they flew over sit around playing cards for the gap in the 5-7 days that we play?

Certainly Not!!! Many of them will use their Per Diem payments for a Rub n' Tug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Yes of course considering the vast majority of domestic current affairs broadcasting across TV / radio is brought to us by RTÉ.

This. I couldn't care less if they dropped all scripted programming but their output of documentaries and news are vitally important.

I'd also say that various chat shows like the Late Late, while often not the most riveting interviews on TV, serve a purpose of maintaining a little bit of unique modern popular culture that is not completely consumed by US / UK stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

vriesmays wrote: »
    Paschal Sheey reporting on a Turkish asylum seeker opening a barber shop in Castlerea and how immigration is a complete success. Of course I'd miss RTÉ.

He should go back to where he came from.

I refer, of course, to Paschal Sheehy, who has no business being anywhere north of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Only if I was a culchie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I only got an internal antenna last week as my mother was visiting so she wouldn't miss The Late Late Show or something. Haven't had the ability to see RTE for about 2 years previously which is why I am so p*ssed about paying the license.

I know some are going to say it supports the national concert hall and all that which is fine if I didn't have to pay 50 quid each for a ticket for me and a friend to see something there recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No, almost everything to do with RTE is garbage, id be delighted to see them close down.

Advertisement