Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you miss RTÉ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

RTE is what you get when there is no competition (or you are very slow to realise you have competition)

An absolute dinosaur which is 2 coms revolutions behind the curve.

Its meant to be public service but most content is the same kind of stuff you can get anywhere.

I finally steered the saorview aerial around to get a signal after 6 years without and, bar champions league just starting on the telly, I never watch it. Cringeworthy, parochial copycat generic.

Doomed. But probably one to undergo a very slow death.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd expect a levy soon on Netflix and Prime, 50 cent a week to keep RTE afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE is what you get when there is no competition (or you are very slow to realise you have competition)

That's why they don't want anyone else on Saorview - thought it many years ago

https://www.independent.ie/business/media/saorview-pricing-model-is-restricting-range-of-tv-channels-says-tg4-37965344.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yeah, I'd miss it. I'd have nothing to give out about. :D

From 99 to 03 I lived in a place where I could get no TV signal and only Radio1 or 2 on the kitchen radio. I started listening to Radio 1 a lot and found it informing and entertaining, for the most part.

These days it's just dumbed down and tabloidey, if that's a word. I find myself 'hitting the dial/buttons' a lot more lately.

Lyric FM I hope they're flying a kite on that one. I listen to it in the car a lot. My daughter, who is doing music for the leaving cert listens to it a good bit too. When not listening to "Jungle music" . Father Stack wouldn't get a look in with her.

RTE2 nobody in this house (mid teens to mid 50s) watches it unless there's a soccer match on.

TnaG great station. I'm not 'mad into trad' but their coverage of the Fleadh is always top notch. I know they do repeats but a lot of it was good first time round.

News Now. Repeats of earlier bulletins .

It's a pity they couldn't do an english language commentary on the league matches on TG4. There's usually at least 5 seconds of a delay between radio and TV . Major PITA. This year there was an option to watch some championship matches on News Now for people who wanted commentary as gaeilge. Which was a good innovation, in fairness.

M

TG4 is a lesson in how to cut your cloth according to your situation, tiny budget, ultra professional output.

• Advertisement

Actually why cant some of the licence fee be redirected to the costs of running Saorview to make it cheaper for other stations to broadcast on it?
    As 2rn is a commercial enterprise not sure how that would work but why has no one thought of that. In the UK it is a conglomerate of the main broadcasters but bigger market so does not need it

TG4 is a lesson in how to cut your cloth according to your situation, tiny budget, ultra professional output.

Their weather reports are way ahead of RTE - such a simple thing!

I'm not into Ghay-A-A so I wouldn't miss it.

haven't watched it in years really aside from the odd international match here or there, all of which are available elsewhere.

they only have 6 nations and some soccer matches really.

thing like weather information are freely available on the web also.

pare it back to a basic news service possibly and get rid of the rest.

original programming (not counting disposable cheap reality tv shtye) is negligible and most usually dire.

it seems to exist mainly for the sake of the people working there and no other tangible reason really.

M

There's nobody openly querying the spends at RTE, most media types won't question it as they will kill off the hands that feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I dont know why they keep Alison spittle in a job either

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the laughs Joe Duffy would get if he went abroad and asked for a similar lavish wage?
    There are people headlining BBC Radio 2 programmes (with hundreds of millions of global listeners) as well as "serious", flagship BBC Radio. 4 programmes like "Today" who earn significantly less than Joe Duffy. I'm including people like John Humphreys and Nick Grimshaw for combined TV/radio work (Grimshaw including the Eurovision).

The reach of their audiences colossal by Irish standards and we deem fit to pay them at rates not even surpassed by the BBC?

It isn't only the BBC which is laughing, I can hear Joe Duffy tittering from across the bay.

It can be a bit unfair to pick on him because I think he gets some flak because it his accent and background. But that's not the point at all. RTE salaries are madly out of kilter with any conceivable competing station, at home or abroad. Duffy just happens to be a useful example as he doesn't tend to do much TV work, unlike Tubridy and D'Arcy.

There's nobody openly querying the spends at RTE, most media types won't question it as they will kill off the hands that feed them.

But you do have the independent companies who give us such delights as Dancing with the Kitchen Staff, How to Paint a Wall White with Seamus "I'm getting paid a million a year to tell you this" O'Flannery, not to forget the outsourced and very memorable C4 Coach Trip rip off where you pay us to take you on holiday (and we ain't paying for anything - except a certain hoteliers expenses and some danger money)

All telling us RTE deserve every penny they get and need more (to keep us in a job)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nice weather presenters too

M

The Lottie Ryan interview will come out the week after Area 51 folds.

some high-level exec must have ridden her sideways (possibly the only way to work it) in a blind drunk haze and she'll let the world know if her commissions are cut off.

M

Whoy do RTE employ so few 'people of colour'?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Probably the only thing I make a point of watching on RTE is if the national soccer team are playing a Euro/WC qualifier. And tbh, they're so sh*te it's pretty much an act of masochism, so I possibly wouldn't even miss those games if they were only available on a subscription sports channel. Almost everything else is just dross of varying degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I wouldn't miss it as I haven't watched it in 10+ years. Think 1 channel would be enough, keep it all Irish related, there's enough channels reapeating crappy American sitcoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Whoy do RTE employ so few 'people of colour'?

Mostly because everyone at RTÉ has to be related to each other.....if you are not a daughter/son/grand daughter etc to someone then no need to apply

Lyric fm serves a purpose.....2Fm doesn’t....apart from keeping a lot of wasters or as 2fm call them “talent” off the dole queue

Who in their right mind thought hiring Lottie Ryan was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yea I'd miss their current affairs programs, like most other media outlets though, they do have a lot of ****e on their schedules

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Love to know actually how many are in the news department. Seems to be a seperate correspondent for everything. Nice money if you can get aboard the gravy train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Love to know actually how many are in the news department. Seems to be a seperate correspondent for everything. Nice money if you can get aboard the gravy train.

With the massive so of Ireland you can expect someone to drive to a news story....they could be nearly 3 hours in a car......

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I would miss -

Sports coverage on TV/Radio
    Prime Time investigates and other news coverage
    Elections coverage - who else would do it?

elperello wrote: »
    The LLS competition flyer is part of an ad campaign so not a cost to RTE.
    The TV licence notice is not a flyer and will not have been sent to all houses.

By all houses i was referring to the late late competition flyer. What do you mean its not a cost to RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I would

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

By all houses i was referring to the late late competition flyer. What do you mean its not a cost to RTE?

Whoever’s sponsoring the competition is paying for the advertising.

I'd miss Home and Away. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Whoever’s sponsoring the competition is paying for the advertising.

It was an post,hence the having to buy a stamp and post it back to enter the competition. There was no other way to enter. I doubt it cost RTE a cent

Edit: and it didn't cost an post much extra to deliver them to every house either

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I haven't watched RTE in about 25 years...good riddance to when it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

there is a very easy way to fix RTE!!

get rid of Tubridy!!

Advertisement