Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to close Aertel

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I would consider not going ahead with the broadband to be a bigger attack on rural Ireland than getting rid of Aertel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I would consider not going ahead with the broadband to be a bigger attack on rural Ireland than getting rid of Aertel.

“Timmy, there was a fella there asking about your broadhand, I said it ye hadn’t got it caught in the cement mixer when you’d be drinkin that wouldn’t have happened, he said ‘was it an eyesore?’ Says I...there isn’t anything wrong with his eye it was de fûckin hand that got caught...”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If we believed rural politicians just about everything is an atta on rural Ireland.

I honestly thought that they shut this down 15 years ago or more. I stopped using it in 1998 when I got my first PC.

Edit: the article in the OP is 18 months old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I thought it was long gone. :eek: Ceefax ended in 2012.
    Gonad wrote: »
    Aertel is still a thing ?

Anyone remember the quiz on the bbc one ? Think it was called bumblebee or something along those lines :)

Yup. I checked Ceefax more than Aertel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Well I want to close RTE, can we do that instead?
    road_high wrote: »
    I thought Aertel ended nearly 20 years ago? Wasn’t that the thing pre internet

I loved the game reviews, back before I had no internet for them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

road_high wrote: »
    I thought Aertel ended nearly 20 years ago? Wasn’t that the thing pre internet
    Following the neighbours

BBC to switch off red button text in 2020
    The BBC is to switch off the news and sport text services on the TV red button early next year.

The decision spells the end of reading headlines, football scores, weather, travel news and more on TV sets, 45 years after the launch of Ceefax.

https://www.rte.ie/aertel/ - all the links leave aertel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well sorry but the world has moved on and you can't continue to spend millions because a few people don't want to adapt - same goes with the LW radio

well sorry but insuring rte is as accessable as possible falls within the remit.
    what "millions" are being spent on both services exactly? i believe the cost to keep 252 open is around 250000 a year, which is not surprising given the power of the transmitter and other equipment associated with it. a good bit of money yes but not millions. i would be surprised if aertell costs anything near lw.
    Everyone had to go DTT - I don't remember a big outcrying from people. Another wasted opportunity - why could they not get an agreement in place for some UK channels or even some more Irish based providers? Well simple really they want to charge a fortune for giving you the privilege of being on the service. We were heralded with these promises of more channels - years later nothing has changed from having an aerial or getting the same channels through what is now VM or eir etc Uk has some 70 odd freeview channels - admittedly a lot of crap but there is a great choice

dtt i believe costs a lot less to run then the old analogue system and provides extra benefits so it was quite right that the change happened.
    the lack of agreement for more channels is likely down to viability. the uk channels already have a platform and the irish market is small.
    That's not to say RTE have any idea what adapting means. Maintaining the LW service for example for people who don't even pay the licence fee - tell me in what reality that makes sense? It's not small money that it costs either!

none of that has anything to do with adapting. the lw service i believe provides some alternative programming which serves an irish audience. the fact irish x-pats in the uk pick it up is just a benefit but the service is not being kept on for those.
    Spent a small fortune on their player which doesn't work but requires you to watch about 20 ads to watch the whole program if you are lucky to even get past the ads but are trying to convince the government they need more money to become a more online/digital service - if they can't get a simple player to work what chance do they have of even using more money to become a so called digital service

every chance as long as they get the right people to do the job. the fact the rte player is crap doesn't mean everything they do will also be crap.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

For the geeks among you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    For the geeks among you:
    https://teletextarchaeologist.org
    How does this work?

we sample the teletext signal using a TV capture card installed into a Linux PC, then run it through Alistair Buxton’s VHS Teletext software to pull the data out.

Surely this is sorcery and witchcraft?

Yes. Yes, it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Aertel? Is that actually still going? What year is this, 2019 or 1989?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Aertel? Is that actually still going? What year is this, 2019 or 1989?

Until a few years ago they were still doing the whole automated teletext with radio in the background thing for televisions that weren't sophisticated enough to have teletext during the early hours of the morning. But then they realized they could make money by rebroadcasting shopping channels and euronews with ads instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

220 was soccer 221 live scores 240 Gaa I think , 180 what’s on tv now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

RTE needs to close RTE.

meath4sam wrote: »
    220 was soccer 221 live scores 240 Gaa I think , 180 what’s on now.

Was 102 news and 570 airport arrivals/departures etc...

Strumms wrote: »
    Was 102 news and 570 airport arrivals/departures etc...

101 was main news
    102 was news headlines
    170 +... Was TV listings
    448 was the kids page. There was even an "American" troll who kept writing in (you could write to Aertel) , giving out about Ireland. I swear it wasn't me. Probably Permabear, but he was silent on teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

470 - something like that for videogames?

666 for the "interactive" where they used highly advanced technology to do quizzes through the phone. :rolleyes:

Still not entirely clearly how that actually worked, you pressed the keypad on the phone and the tv changed. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Wrong forum!

Post edited by Apogee on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can we close RTE and keep Aertel?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm at home a lot these days the Tv is constantly on - I never realised just how sh*te RTE's output is. Aertel even with its flaws and with the service being run down is one of the best things they do.

I wonder how much Aertel costs in terms of Fair City "actors". Would the zombies who consume Fair City even notice if half of them disappeared from the show.

Another advantage of Aertel is, if you turn on RTE in the morning you get the latest weather forecast on Aertel (updated at around 9 am) while at the same time RTE is repeating yesterday's forecast (with references to "tonight" etc.) on The Today Show because they are too useless to edit it out. Jesus Wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Noticed the weather forecast the other day.

Still showing that Degenerate wan as well.

Advertisement