Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to close Aertel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2 staff would cost that

Do they have access to the VIP suites with solid gold toilet bowls and wipe themselves with Andrex puppies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

VeVeX wrote: »
    If the employees are as good as their pay cheques suggest they'll have no problem getting jobs elsewhere.

Good joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s prob there just to placate those senior people in society who maybe the internet never entered their lives and a couple of clicks of the remote can give them the football results, news, weather, lotto, racing etc... I doubt it will be there beyond the next seven or eight years as basically the generation who ‘need’ it will be dying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Slap my ass and call me Sally - I thought that was abandoned years ago, maybe I'm thinking of the UK channels
    So many years ago last time I used teletext or rather decades ago - now I just ask Google and get the result in seconds. Who is still using this that doesn't have a smartphone or computer???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

road_high wrote: »
    I thought Aertel ended nearly 20 years ago? Wasn’t that the thing pre internet
    You can access the site online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Oh no, I check Aertel from time to time...the last time being only back in 1998!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

fritzelly wrote: »
    Slap my ass and call me Sally - I thought that was abandoned years ago, maybe I'm thinking of the UK channels
    So many years ago last time I used teletext or rather decades ago - now I just ask Google and get the result in seconds. Who is still using this that doesn't have a smartphone or computer???

hey Sally

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

Doblin wrote: »
    RTE want to close Aertel but the plan has been described as an attack on rural ireland but an number of rural TDs https://www.thejournal.ie/aertel-rte-3974836-Apr2018/
    It doesn't mention rural Ireland or rural TDs in the article you linked. I'd say most of rural Ireland couldn't care less about Aertel.

Edit: the article you linked is also from Apr 28th 2018

Also don't RTE own the transmission infrastructure in Ireland so they are paying themselves to broadcast it
    Are they playing a blinder here by bleeding licence fee money to their corporate arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not everybody embraces technology at the same rate. I got my first smartphone within the last year (well, 11 months ago actually), even though I got my first e-mail account in 1991.

• Advertisement

Not everybody embraces technology at the same rate. I got my first smartphone within the last year (well, 11 months ago actually), even though I got my first e-mail account in 1991.

Well sorry but the world has moved on and you can't continue to spend millions because a few people don't want to adapt - same goes with the LW radio
    Everyone had to go DTT - I don't remember a big outcrying from people. Another wasted opportunity - why could they not get an agreement in place for some UK channels or even some more Irish based providers? Well simple really they want to charge a fortune for giving you the privilege of being on the service. We were heralded with these promises of more channels - years later nothing has changed from having an aerial or getting the same channels through what is now VM or eir etc Uk has some 70 odd freeview channels - admittedly a lot of crap but there is a great choice

That's not to say RTE have any idea what adapting means. Maintaining the LW service for example for people who don't even pay the licence fee - tell me in what reality that makes sense? It's not small money that it costs either!

Spent a small fortune on their player which doesn't work but requires you to watch about 20 ads to watch the whole program if you are lucky to even get past the ads but are trying to convince the government they need more money to become a more online/digital service - if they can't get a simple player to work what chance do they have of even using more money to become a so called digital service

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Bamboozle, was on c4's.

Ah yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Suckit wrote: »
    Channel 4?
    sQREzCK.jpg

There’s a memory . Used to come home in a Friday night after 6 cans of Dutch and try concur that quiz

Gonad wrote: »
    There’s a memory . Used to come home in a Friday night after 6 cans of Dutch and try concur that quiz

After 6 cans of that I'm surprised you could even read it

RTÉ being the ‘state’ broadcaster....I’d imagine if it was to be shutdown tomorrow you’d have the phone system on Joe Duffy almost on fire there....

“Joe, it’s all very well there up in Dublin with your broadhand Internet and the rest of it but aertel is of great comfort to us and a source of the news and everything without worrying about your wihi and all the rest of it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

"An attack on Rural Ireland"

Will ya ever feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Always check aertel, then plug in the Main Frame( direct phone internet, separate line) and see if it's there before I head to the Post Office to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Bamboozle, was on c4's.

Takes me back. If you got one wrong you had to go all the way back to the start. I can't imagine kids these days having the patience for
    Bamboozle!

Remember using teletext services to check the weather abroad before holidays also.

sugarman wrote: »
    Aertel is Teletext, it went digital with the switchover.

BBC switched off their digital service just this week.

Ah, that would explain this latest original thought from cringe-inducing, pathologically anglocentric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ah, that would explain this latest original thought from cringe-inducing, pathologically anglocentric Ireland.

I’m not usually up this early on a Sunday, so you’ll have to excuse me if I’m picking this up wrong, but are you suggesting that the spineless West Brits in RTÉ made a decision to shut Aertel because the BBC did?

Would we have been somehow reasserting our identity by giving the two fingers to John Bull and keeping our Aertel alive? Finally, the soccer results page on Aertel is red, blue, and white. Like the colour of the butcher’s apron. Is this yet another example of our forelock tugging pathological anglocentrism?

So many questions, and it isn’t even 9am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

If it’s a choice between cost cutting and loosing Aertel vs Lyric then cut Aertel. RTÉ has to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Everything seems to be an 'attack' on rural Ireland these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Granddads Internet no more?
    This is a travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Strumms wrote: »
    When you click on the page number ie. 220 for soccer it brings you just to the RTÉ soccer website, quite weird and pointless.

Weird, it was working fine last week. Although I checked it on a desktop browser then. Maybe it works differently on mobiles? Or maybe they just changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You can access the site online too.

A bit like going online to send and receive telegrams.

Everything seems to be an 'attack' on rural Ireland these days...
    Yep,
    Dubs win the all Ireland...
    Dublin airport to build a new runway
    Later opening hours for shops in Dublin

An attack, for sure, on ‘rural’ Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Still a better service than RTÉ Player.

The only people who have any use for Aertel these days are the sort of eejits who piss away their dole or state pension in the bookies. **** them. They get enough benefit from the taxpayer already. Kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Doblin wrote: »
    RTE want to close Aertel but the plan has been described as an attack on rural ireland but an number of rural TDs https://www.thejournal.ie/aertel-rte-3974836-Apr2018/

They'd do anything before taking a pay cut.

Advertisement