Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just finished binging The Mind of Aaron Hernandez and really enjoyed it, not a fan of American Football and didn't know anything about this guy going into it so would advise those who watch it not to Google the story before watching it. Have to say I preferred it over Don't F@@k with Cats. So well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Just finished binging The Mind of Aaron Hernandez and really enjoyed it, not a fan of American Football and didn't know anything about this guy going into it so would advise those who watch it not to Google the story before watching it. Have to say I preferred it over Don't F@@k with Cats. So well worth a watch.

I'd never google the story as it ruins it. We have a bit of an advantage this side of the pond as a lot of the crime series from over there we aren't familiar with.

I thought this series was very good and well made as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Netflix just picked up 21 Studio Ghibli movies. Due to be released between February and April.

https://kotaku.com/netflix-just-picked-up-21-studio-ghibli-movies-but-not-1841103335

Feb. 1: Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Ocean Waves (1993), Tales from Earthsea (2006)

March 1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Arrietty (2010), The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1: Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Howl’s Moving Castle (2004), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008), From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), The Wind Rises (2013), When Marnie Was There (2014).

Netflix is going to provide subtitles in 28 languages, while there will be dubs available in 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,863 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mr E wrote: »
    Netflix just picked up 21 Studio Ghibli movies. Due to be released between February and April.

https://kotaku.com/netflix-just-picked-up-21-studio-ghibli-movies-but-not-1841103335

Feb. 1: Castle in the Sky (1986), My Neighbor Totoro (1988), Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989), Only Yesterday (1991), Porco Rosso (1992), Ocean Waves (1993), Tales from Earthsea (2006)

March 1: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984), Princess Mononoke (1997), My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), Spirited Away (2001), The Cat Returns (2002), Arrietty (2010), The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1: Pom Poko (1994), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Howl’s Moving Castle (2004), Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008), From Up on Poppy Hill (2011), The Wind Rises (2013), When Marnie Was There (2014).

Netflix is going to provide subtitles in 28 languages, while there will be dubs available in 20.
    That is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This is fantastic news!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

wonderful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That is absolutely brilliant news. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Family Reunion
    When the McKellan family moves from Seattle to small-town Georgia, life down South -- and traditional grandparents -- challenge their big-city ways.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Just came in to post the Studio Ghibli news as they are tweeting about it.

I was just about to buy the Arriety DVD for the Saoirse Ronan dubbed version. Delighted that 20/21 will be dubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Just got around to Dolemite is my Name. Great stuff with a fantastic performance from Eddie Murphy. Really enjoyable two hours.

Was going to post similar last night. Really good film. For some reason reminded me of Bowfinger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭brevity

That Netflix/Studio Ghibli news has made my day/week/month!

Absolutely delighted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Awesome news about Ghibli. A lot of films I still haven’t seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Can the Ghibli aficionados suggest a good place to start when they all land? I'm a luddite, I've only seen Spirited Away (which I really liked)

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can't say ever heard of any of those Ghibli films, are any of them worth watching?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Can the Ghibli aficionados suggest a good place to start when they all land? I'm a luddite, I've only seen Spirited Away (which I really liked)

Cheers :)

castle in the sky, my neighbor totoro, princess mononoke and howl's moving castle are all sublime, with the last 2 being slightly darker

You will need a hug after watching When Marnie Was There

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

'Nausicaä' is excellent and pretty dark, 'Pom Poko' has all the raccoon testicles you could ever want.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

castle in the sky, my neighbor totoro, princess mononoke and howl's moving castle are all sublime, with the last 2 being slightly darker

I watched Howl's Moving Castle recently having recorded it off Film4 a while ago. I didn't enjoy it that much but it was the dubbed version with Christian Bale voicing Howl, maybe the subtitled version would have been better.
    I have a couple more recorded, might check them and see if they're dubs too and just wait for the Netflix ones instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I watched Howl's Moving Castle recently having recorded it off Film4 a while ago. I didn't enjoy it that much but it was the dubbed version with Christian Bale voicing Howl, maybe the subtitled version would have been better.
    I have a couple more recorded, might check them and see if they're dubs too and just wait for the Netflix ones instead.

Howls is beautiful but a bit of a mess and had a director drop out. Its defiantly in the lower end of Ghibli films in terms of quality.

megaten wrote: »
    Howls is beautiful but a bit of a mess and had a director drop out. Its defiantly in the lower end of Ghibli films in terms of quality.

Yeah, it definitely felt a little disjointed from a story telling point of view, but visually there's some lovely stuff and I'm not sure if it was supposed to but the complete randomness of the ending for Pumpkin Head made me laugh.

• Advertisement

I liked Calcifer...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Princess Mononoke is extremely dark. And sobering.

Out of those, the "castle" ones are the most similar to Spirited Away.

My neigbout Totoro and Kiki's Delievery Service would be the more light-hearted ones.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

brevity wrote: »
    I liked Calcifer...

I did like him, to be fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Grave of the Fireflies is devastating.

Which isn't being added :(

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies is devastating.

Which isn't being added :(

Yea, I was looking for that. Tbh I don’t think I could rewatch it. Heartbreaking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

brevity wrote: »
    Yea, I was looking for that. Tbh I don’t think I could rewatch it. Heartbreaking.
    Same here. Superb film but probably the most heart wrenching I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Grave of the Fireflies is possibly the best film i've ever seen. I don't like using phrases like this as it sounds a bit pretentious but I'd say that watching it 'enrichens the soul'. It is a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

What did Jack do?

David Lynch interrogates a monkey accused of murder for 17 minutes.

Haven't watched it yet but it sounds mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gotta say I'm super-psyched that a whole generation of kids will have incredibly easy access to the Ghibli back catalogue. I mean, as much as I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I haven't seen in years, it's wonderful to know a whole new generation will get to discover them now :)

For those keen to dive in to the back catalogue, here's how I'd rate them by handy tiers, from essential to avoid. Caveat: it's been a good long while now since I've seen some of them and there are a couple (Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns in particular) I've been eager to revisit.

'Greatest animated films of all time' contenders

My Neighbour Totoro
    Spirited Away
    Princess Mononoke
    The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

'Mere' masterpieces

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds
    Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
    Pom Poko
    Grave of the Fireflies

'Really great but don't start with these as they're a little more niche'

The Wind Rises
    My Neighbors the Yamadas
    Whisper of the Heart
    Only Yesterday

Good, solid, mid-tier Ghibli

Porco Rosso
    Ocean Waves
    From Up On Poppy Hill
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Arriety

'Yeah, they're alright'

When Marine Was There
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Cat Returns

Baaadddd Ghibli

Tales from Earthsea (NB: just read the books, because they're incredible)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

knew the story fairly well (so I thought) as am a big fan of the patriots. Still loads extra in it that i knew nothing about , one of the best things I have seen in a long time

Advertisement