Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I watched the house last night and enjoyed it, typical will ferrell movie, perfect hangover movie really for a sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Ikozma wrote: »
    I watched the house last night and enjoyed it, typical will ferrell movie, perfect hangover movie really for a sunday

Just stuck it on cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I’m gonna git u sucka.

Remember cracking up at this as a kid. One memorable scene of a baba taking wig, lips, boobs, and even a leg off.

Satirical blackxploitaion movie. Afraid to watch it in case it’s a disaster. But will.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/im_gonna_git_you_sucka

Ikozma wrote: »

Really liked. Bubble gum for brain with hilarious moments

Series 14 of always sunny being added on 19th. Heard half episodes are amazing the other half so so. But even the below par episodes are better than most. Interesting to see how badly Dee and Denis have aged mainly due to plastic surgery.

One of my all time favourite shows. Danny de Vito rocks in it and how they handle issues is so intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Healing Powers of Dude season 1
    When an 11-year-old boy with social anxiety disorder starts middle school, he finds strength in a scruffy emotional support dog named Dude.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

joeguevara wrote: »
    Series 14 of always sunny being added on 19th. Heard half episodes are amazing the other half so so. But even the below par episodes are better than most. Interesting to see how badly Dee and Denis have aged mainly due to plastic surgery.

One of my all time favourite shows. Danny de Vito rocks in it and how they handle issues is so intelligent.
    The most perfect show to dip into on a whim for something funny and non-taxing on the brain, or simply with 20 minutes to kill. Ridiculous set-up...cue the music...enjoy. Brilliant.

The most perfect show to dip into on a whim for something funny and non-taxing on the brain, or simply with 20 minutes to kill. Ridiculous set-up...cue the music...enjoy. Brilliant.

But because of the anarchic nature and off the wall antics they can tackle real social issues in a really fascinating way. Abortion, race, homosexuality, transgender, gun control, climate, waste etc have all been dissected in a way that a more conservative programme could. That is genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭bullpost

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5536610/

Watched This over the weekend. Paul Giamatti stars as New York middle-aged couple try for a baby. Very good in a Woody Allen type way,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched The Little Hours over the weekend. "Raunchy" comedy about some nuns in the 13th century. Has a decent cast and was a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I thoroughly enjoyed Cheer.
    I threw it on yesterday, expecting it to be an easy watch to pass a rainy afternoon, but by the end of episode 1 I was heavily invested in it.

I never knew how much sheer talent, skill, determination and sacrifice it took to excel in a sport like cheerleading.
    The constant threat of injury was always there, I had goosebumps and was hiding behind my hands for some of their more skilled stunts for fear they'd fall & break their necks.
    The level of trust & bond between the team was insane, then again, if you're being flung 10ft into the air you'd want to be counting on the person down below catching you!
    The story was beautifuly told, anyone with any appreciation for sports/skills will enjoy this.
    I'd highly recommend.
    Some of the backstories of the kids were truly heartbreaking.
    From suicide, to drug addiction & sexual abuse, to see them overcome all their various adversaties at such young ages to be sucessful champion athletes was so heartwarming.
    Morgan & Jerry's stories in particular were just so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix with the most Oscar nominations of any studio with 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

flazio wrote: »
    Delighted for the Klaus team

It's funny how several of them have written their chances off when I Lost my Body is announced. Says a lot about how that category used to be. Only one spot, if even, for an "outsider".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

flazio wrote: »

Klaus and Missing Link nominated. I'd hope one of those wins.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Netflix with the most Oscar nominations of any studio with 24.

Find this to be a negative to be honest. Cinema and the experience, was magic, massive theatre and all the rest. This stat is another nail in its coffin. 10 years ago I would've gone to the cinema 10 times a month at least, it was a hobby. I would go on my own and go with the dad etc an event. Then they started turning big cinema theatres into very small multiple theatres repeating marvel sh*te on loop on the hour in all those cinemas. Tight cramped seats and small screens and some couple on their phones all through it. Havent been to the cinema in about 2 years. I watch netflix, its fantastic but cinema and the event it was is dead now. Is there any big screen, big seats etc left in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The films are shown in the cinema for anyone who wants that experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Find this to be a negative to be honest. Cinema and the experience, was magic, massive theatre and all the rest. This stat is another nail in its coffin. 10 years ago I would've gone to the cinema 10 times a month at least, it was a hobby. I would go on my own and go with the dad etc an event. Then they started turning big cinema theatres into very small multiple theatres repeating marvel sh*te on loop on the hour in all those cinemas. Tight cramped seats and small screens and some couple on their phones all through it. Havent been to the cinema in about 2 years. I watch netflix, its fantastic but cinema and the event it was is dead now. Is there any big screen, big seats etc left in Ireland?

Have you been to Stella in Rathmines? I adore it. Exactly like cinemas were meant to be in old days. Art Deco 1920's style. Now it's not a huge space but it doesnt need to be in my opinion. Normal enough screen but enormous seats. It's not somewhere you go for latest action packed block bluster but perfect for films you can enjoy. You pay for it but worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Addle wrote: »

Yes I watched both Marriage Story and The Irishman in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Once upon a time in Hollywood was amazing in Stella.

It really fitted in with old style cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Addle wrote: »

The point was as much about the theatre itself is not what it once was, not what's on show or being produced. Combination of this with more marvel stuff on repeat.

All this probably for another thread...am a huge fan of Netflix productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I think there was three Marvel movies last year. Hardly inescapable

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Klaus and Missing Link nominated. I'd hope one of those wins.

I Lost my Body winning would be pretty huge. It's rare for non "family" animations to even be nominated, never mind win an Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts Season 1
    Making her way through a world of mutant animals, a sheltered yet scrappy girl learns how to survive -- and get home -- with help from her ragtag crew.

Leslie Jones: Time Machine
    From trying to seduce Prince to battling sleep apnea, Leslie Jones traces her evolution as an adult in a joyfully raw and outrageous stand-up special.

The Prodigy
    When her brilliant young son starts behaving strangely, a mother suspects something malevolent is at play and goes searching for answers.

Women of Mafia 2
    When a major drug deal goes sour, the queen of the Warsaw underworld must contend with a rival criminal, a crossed ally and a religious fighter

added

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

appledrop wrote: »
    Have you been to Stella in Rathmines? I adore it. Exactly like cinemas were meant to be in old days. Art Deco 1920's style. Now it's not a huge space but it doesnt need to be in my opinion. Normal enough screen but enormous seats. It's not somewhere you go for latest action packed block bluster but perfect for films you can enjoy. You pay for it but worth every penny.
    It's a lovely cinema...but Christ it is expensive, I would recommend the lighthouse. I also go and see blockbusters early in big cinemas sometimes, empty and cheaper than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Last time I was in the cinema I paid 40e for 2 tickets 1 large coke and popcorn. That's 5 months Netflix subscription. It's no wonder they're dying and no harm they've been ripping customers off for years!

Having said i'm going tonight :pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Last time I was in the cinema I paid 40e for 2 tickets 1 large coke and popcorn. That's 5 months Netflix subscription. It's no wonder they're dying and no harm they've been ripping customers off for years!

Having said i'm going tonight :pac:

In fairness, it's the food & drink where they really screw you over, so without coming off like an a$$, of course it cost that much if you got a large coke and popcorn, more fool you :) :pac:

Most cinemas these days are part of mobile networks' "midweek 2 for €10" promotion, and TBH that's how myself + the wife go to the cinemas. Being both on separate contracts we basically get two uses of that offer so rarely spend more than €20 on a trip. So there's definitely ways and means to keep the costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fairness, it's the food & drink where they really screw you over, so without coming off like an a$$, of course it cost that much if you got a large coke and popcorn, more fool you :) :pac:

Most cinemas these days are part of mobile networks' "midweek 2 for €10" promotion, and TBH that's how myself + the wife go to the cinemas. Being both on separate contracts we basically get two uses of that offer so rarely spend more than €20 on a trip. So there's definitely ways and means to keep the costs down.

Yeah I've a weakness for cinema butter popcorn :P

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »

Some cinemas now take your bags/satchel, and issue you with a ticket, like a cloakroom service; ostensibly to stop camcording, but more probably to stop food and drink smuggling. Rather than pay the rip-off prices, I now resort to smuggling my toffee popcorn in using the sleeve of a coat that I have to hold. Needs must.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I've a weakness for cinema butter popcorn :P

I have a friend who loves the machos & "cheese" you get at cinemas :)
    Some cinemas now take your bags/satchel, and issue you with a ticket, like a cloakroom service; ostensibly to stop camcording, but more probably to stop food and drink smuggling. Rather than pay the rip-off prices, I now resort to smuggling my toffee popcorn in using the sleeve of a coat that I have to hold. Needs must.

Wait, huh? What cinemas are doing this 'cos that's a name and shame right there. That's the first I've heard, certainly my local IMC has nothing of the sort.

Point being anyway that it's very easy to get cheap cinema tickets with a small amount of effort.

Advertisement