Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone actually believe that Gerry Adams wasn't in the IRA?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

That's actually entirely plausible.

derrylin isnt exactly local to the fermanagh/leitrim border

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

maccored wrote: »

I lived for a time in a place in the west of Ireland where my “local” pub was further away than Derrylin from the Fermanagh/Leitrim border.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

blanch152 wrote: »
    the Quinn attack isnt related to the PIRA and the conflict blanch152, no matter how much you wish it was
    if they had no support they would have all been caught. use your head - people wouldn't have protected and hid them otherwise.

Oh yes - sure they were all forced to :rolleyes:

There are distinct parallels, brought up by you.

You claim that SF/IRA had support because the terrorists weren't caught because they were protected and hidden.

In all the attacks on QIH, the same applies.

Either the people of Fermanagh, Cavan and Monaghan secretly supported, protected and hid both the IRA and the QIH terrorists (and they are terrorists too) or neither.

As one of the people from that area, with a large amount of family still there, can I ask that you stop with the slanderous implications to make some idiotic point about Provo support 20+ years ago?

Perhaps speak to a few people in the area. Many have a (misplaced, in my own opinion) sympathy for Sean Quinn, but anyone I've spoken to about the incident back home is thoroughly disgusted, and would happily pass on information if they had it.

Despite your attempt at equivocation, this is an entirely different mentality than held by many during The Troubles, where either through tacit support, distrust of the powers that be, or indeed intimidation from the Provos, a lot of these same people would've kept their heads down and said nothing, regardless of what they knew.

Particularly ironic to take this line Blanch, given your ranting earlier about slander.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I lived for a time in a place in the west of Ireland where my “local” pub was further away than Derrylin from the Fermanagh/Leitrim border.

so? - actually no - its completely off topic so Im not going to encourage you

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

30 minutes/30 km to Ballinamore isn't local?

• Advertisement

I'm curious to hear where this was? I'm not aware of anywhere in Ireland myself that's ~20miles from a pub. Not being snarky, would genuinely like to know, considering how rurally I've travelled around the west, and certainly never been THAT far from a pub.

thats like saying i live in carlow and portlaoise is local to me - again though, off topic surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    As one of the people from that area, with a large amount of family still there, can I ask that you stop with the slanderous implications to make some idiotic point about Provo support 20+ years ago?

Perhaps speak to a few people in the area. Many have a (misplaced, in my own opinion) sympathy for Sean Quinn, but anyone I've spoken to about the incident back home is thoroughly disgusted, and would happily pass on information if they had it.

Despite your attempt at equivocation, this is an entirely different mentality than held by many during The Troubles, where either through tacit support, distrust of the powers that be, or indeed intimidation from the Provos, a lot of these same people would've kept their heads down and said nothing, regardless of what they knew.

Particularly ironic to take this line Blanch, given your ranting earlier about slander.

blanch's tired old 'bring me the head of Gerry Adams' stick knows no depths tbh.
    Any slur is justifiable in his books. No person is entitled to be presumed innocent if blanch decrees guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

So the IRA commited the attack on Mr Lunney and the people of Cavan and Fermanagh are hiding and protecting the scumbags that done this according to Blanch and Safesurfer.

Someone needs to stop this BS.

tipptom wrote: »
    So the IRA commited the attack on Mr Lunney and the people of Cavan and Fermanagh are hiding and protecting the scumbags that done this according to Blanch and Safesurfer.

Someone needs to stop this BS.

If you show me the quote where I even mentioned or referred to any attack I will gladly apologize.

All I did was correct a posters understanding of where Leitrim is.

Perhaps read the thread.

• Advertisement

I'm curious to hear where this was? I'm not aware of anywhere in Ireland myself that's ~20miles from a pub. Not being snarky, would genuinely like to know, considering how rurally I've travelled around the west, and certainly never been THAT far from a pub.

Between Newport and Crossmolina

thats like saying i live in carlow and portlaoise is local to me - again though, off topic surely?

My current “local” health centre is 28km away.

The term local has a different meaning in some areas than others.

There's a wealth if villages in between the two, none 20miles apart. Do none have pubs, or was it just your choice of local that was at that distance?

You've set off a curiosity in me to work out Ireland's furthest point from a pub!

There's a wealth if villages in between the two, none 20miles apart. Do none have pubs, or was it just your choice of local that was at that distance?

You've set off a curiosity in me to work out Ireland's furthest point from a pub!

It would be interesting to find out where is furthest from a pub. I was there on a research project and if anything I’d say more pubs have closed down since.

local usually means nearby. 28km away is not, by any definition nearby

local usually means nearby. 28km away is not, by any definition nearby

Could you direct me to the definition of “local”. My “local” TD lives 70km away.
    The biggest parish in Ireland is 56km square. Would you consider that local?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Of course nobody believes it.

I'd imagine it was so he could be a politician in the republic. That's one of the reason anyway. Probably countless others.

Could you direct me to the definition of “local”. My “local” TD lives 70km away.
    The biggest parish in Ireland is 56km square. Would you consider that local?

try the internet because I cant be arsed with your whataboutery and off topic rambling - especially if you think 70km is local. I may as well be a Dub if thats the case

try the internet because I cant be arsed with your whataboutery and off topic rambling - especially if you think 70km is local. I may as well be a Dub if thats the case

:D:D Perish the thought maccored...perish the thought! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Here! ;)

• Advertisement

:D:D Perish the thought maccored...perish the thought! :D

Looks like we have our own chuckle brothers. You should have tried the internet before showing your geographical ignorance.

You should have tried the internet before showing your geographical ignorance.

Would it not have been simpler and avoided you doing a lot of limbo dancing to send that comment to Williams?

You should have tried the internet before showing your geographical ignorance.

Would it not have been simpler and avoided you doing a lot of limbo dancing to send that comment to Williams?

This is the quote from your buddy.

“isnt that the lad who claims to be from the west of ireland, then claims to be 'local' to fermanagh etc etc - and he's really from Leitrim ....”

If you can’t understand how Leitrim can be local to Fermanagh I suggest you buy a map. I think there is eve one on the Sinn Fein logo.

“isnt that the lad who claims to be from the west of ireland, then claims to be 'local' to fermanagh etc etc - and he's really from Leitrim ....”

If you can’t understand how Leitrim can be local to Fermanagh I suggest you buy a map. I think there is eve one on the Sinn Fein logo.

as i say - its not local. you may buy a dictionary

Looks like we have our own chuckle brothers. You should have tried the internet before showing your geographical ignorance.

look - if you dont know what 'local' means, thats really not my problem.

Have you finished with the waffle now?

Jaysus do you realise what a cod you are making of yourself here?

Williams was doing it to infer he had some special insight, the usual 'know it all' ****e he does indulge. I'm closer, by a long shot to Derrylin, than Leitrim is and I wouldn't call it 'local'. It's as local as Cork is in terms of knowing anything 'local' about it.

Just walk away from this one SS.

look - if you dont know what 'local' means, thats really not my problem.

Have you finished with the waffle now?

Fermanagh isn’t local to Leitrim. Are you sticking with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thread needs a poll for an OP like that.

Jaysus do you realise what a cod you are making of yourself here?

Williams was doing it to infer he had some special insight, the usual 'know it all' ****e he does indulge. I'm closer, by a long shot to Derrylin, than Leitrim is and I wouldn't call it 'local'. It's as local as Cork is in terms of knowing anything 'local' about it.

Just walk away from this one SS.

I can walk.

I can walk from Leitrim to Fermanagh in literally a couple of steps but it’s not local?

• Advertisement

I can walk.

I can walk from Leitrim to Fermanagh in literally a couple of steps but it’s not local?

jaysus do you ever stop? You can walk from leitrim to derrylin in a couple of steps. you must be a giant, but good for you

Advertisement