Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underated song

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

That's a good tune .

Had negative live experiences (1999 Whelans + Electric Picnic 2006) but nothing since. If You're Feeling Sinister is brilliant too, almost as good as Tiger Milk. They had a very strong run of EPs up to 2001 or so.

Recent gigs I was at were Iveagh Gardens and Vicar Street, both reasonably small and very much made up of B&S fans which led to a really enthused vibe. They were taking people onto the stage for Boy with the Arab strap and my daughter made it up to have a bop with the band which really made her night. Both gigs were more what I'd call classic numbers rather than pushing too much new stuff which was also a bonus. I'd definitely catch them again live if the venue wasn't too big.

One final gem from their back catalogue, with Neil Hannon guesting on vocals. Terrible movie but great some great tracks on the studio album.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Long forgotten gem from 1985, what Frank Gallagher would've sounded like as a front man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hi. If people are talking about belle and Sebastian and don't mention Isobel Campbell and the Gentle Waves, I think the following song qualifies as underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Morgans

Also. This has the smell of 2006 all over it but can remember watching this in my girlfriend's house on a sat night (partay animals) and looking at each other as it was playing and without saying anything going , in our heads, 'Holy ****! Are they allowed be that good. Someone must stop them. Anyway...'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Morgans wrote: »
    Hi. If people are talking about belle and Sebastian and don't mention Isobel Campbell and the Gentle Waves, I think the following song qualifies as underrated.

Old photo of my Gentle Waves records
    384176_10152146305945089_1233691709_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQnCSqm6M4MmLQM09yqmq3dyu3Bua4dHVi2Ru5DWjgx2xt2arreZCZtXkqqypr8mWU0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=f887e605e3c0095b6bc2c5299f39c4c8&oe=5E2903C8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Some great songs , 14 songs from around Brit pop era and other artists from that period

1 Oasis Rockin Chair
    2 Blur End of a Century
    3 Sleeper What Do I do Now
    4 Elastica Waking Up
    5 Pulp Do you remember the first time
    6 The Verve The Rolling People
    7 Tricky Black Steel
    8 Embrace Fireworks
    9 Radiohead Fake Plastic Trees
    10 Suede Animal Nitrate
    11 Stereophonics Dakota
    12 Manic Street Preachers Motorcycle Emptiness
    13 Franz Ferdinard Take me Out
    14 lighting Seeds Life of Riley

Brit pop was very conservative in many ways. And not a great music era compared to Punk or grunge which were dynamic , outward looking and forward looking. Brit pop was backward looking ( at 60s ) and inward looking ( its had a good dollop of British nationalism and jingoism ). But while it didn't produced that many great albums, it did produce great singles and some cracking tunes. It was an interesting time in music with some interesting characters. While it had its flaws. When you look at state of music in Britian in terms of bands , ( where are all the great liverpool, Manchester Glasgow or London bands) , we could do with a young Gallagher or Albarn or Cocker now. It also very provicial based. It didnt have as much impact outside Uk or Ireland as people think. Oasis Whats the Story album and Wonderwall album did make impact in USA for few months. Radiohead when they moved on from the The Bends had US number 1 , were the few exceptions. But Radiohead were never really a Brit pop band. It was very much a British phenomenon .

Oasis Rockin
    Oasis were the band that made Britpop. While people can sometimes look down at the Gallaghers , the fact is Noel Gallagher is very smart individual, and had a talent of writing great popsongs while Liam is great vocalist. Take Wonderwall. Simple start which u could sneer at. But then u have this brillant cello , great chord progression, a touch of psychedelic feel throughout the song and liams brillant vocals , and you have a great classic single. The cousin to Wonderwall is b side Rockin Chair. Oasis could do the Slade / Status Quo sound eg Roll with it. Which was fun but wasnt particularly great. Both its threit quiter moments, we see at their best. Especially the b sides. Gallagher influenced by great Smiths b sides and The Jam. Threw away songs. And truthfully Oasis third album should have been The Masterplan. Anyway one great b side is Rockin Chair. It has Smiths vibe to it. But again Liams vocals are brillant. And with his nasel vocals he does sings more similar to John Lennon then anyone I have heard. Oasis might have been soap opera at times , but people forget in 1995 , 1996 they were incredibly sucessful and probaly the last time a rock group really captured the publics attention dramatically.

Blur End of a Century
    Blur were a mess of a band. Were they The Kinks , were they grunge , were they pavement . Their albums had some great tunes, but plenty of filler. But they were a great singles band. Songs like The Universal or Song 2. But for me End of Century is Albarn at his best. Hes not trying to hard , or to be anyone else. Hes just himself and it sounds great.

Pulp Do remember first time.
    Another great singles band. But while Disco 2000 and Common People were great big monster singles , I think Cocker was trying to. hard to be another Morrisey at times . Some of their finest moments is before they broke the big time. Do you remember the first time is a great intelligent single. Cocker at his best. Insighful and Funny. Sorted for Es and Wizz was good also. Imagine a band releasing songs like that now.

The Verve The Rolling People
    For me , they could have been great but they werent. First album showed promise . Urban Hymns was great album, but after that decline. Ashcroft looked the part, a great frontman. Bittersweet Symphony is still a great athemn and The Drugs dont Work is best British number 1 in 90s which was a country song in disguise. But the Rolling People is their finest moment. But it was decline from then on.

Suede Animal Nitrate
    The band that sums up Britpop and for many started it. Suede had some good tunes . But for me were to much style over substance . Finest moment was Animal Nitrate. Butler and Anderson could have been Morrisey and Marr of their generation but when Butler left for me Suede lost something. Yes Dog Man man was very good, but they could have been really great.

Manic Street Preachers Motorcycle Emptiness and Stereophonics Dakota
    For me these two songs kind of begin and end Brit pop. Manics were terrific in so many ways. Number 1 song about Spanish civil war eg If you tolerate this etc. The majectic Design for life. The amazing The Holy Bible album. But their finest moment is Motorcycle Emptiness. Brit pops finest moment. The song that ends Britpop is Stereophonics Dakota. Stereophonics were pub band that got lucky. This was their finest moment. Cracking synthesiser driven song , which went number 1. And really was final kick of Brit pop.

A great tune from a great Liverpool band, think it scraped into the UK Top 30 back in 1987.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Falling into the trap of underrated Beatles songs, I can think of "Things We Said Today" from A Hard Day's Night.

The whiplash guitar from George, the verse is a moody minor key while the chorus moves to the major, it still sounds as good today as it was ahead of its time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cml387 wrote: »
    Falling into the trap of underrated Beatles songs, I can think of "Things We Said Today" from A Hard Day's Night.

The whiplash guitar from George, the verse is a moody minor key while the chorus moves to the major, it still sounds as good today as it was ahead of its time then.

I could spend all day posting underrated Beatles songs, but I'll restrict myself to one: "Two of Us" from the also underrated Let It Be - McCartney channelling the spirit of the Everly Bros on the final Beatles album (not the last recorded but the last released).

It's about Paul and Linda but can also be taken as a comment on Paul and John's relationship as it was fracturing after so many years:

• Advertisement

Another dusty gem from the 80s. Always liked this, never heard of them before or since.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Another dusty gem from the 80s. Always liked this, never heard of them before or since.

Now 2
    Album was reissued recently. Pretty decent.

The NOW albums nearly always contained an obscurity or two that only dented the lower regions of the chart. Add to their appeal I think.

Here's one that they didn't though, this was a big hit in the US but barely crept inside the UK Top 75. A great track though. Never heard of them afterwards either.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    The NOW albums nearly always contained an obscurity or two that only dented the lower regions of the chart. Add to their appeal I think.

Here's one that they didn't though, this was a big hit in the US but barely crept inside the UK Top 75. A great track though. Never heard of them afterwards either.

Brilliant tune, as you say much more well known in UK. There are two great 12" mixes.

One fundamental flaw of retrospective compilations is that they tend to cherrypick songs whereas the Now albums (and their rivals, the Hits series) tended to give a snapshot of pop trends over a four-month period. More time capsules of long-forgotten tracks include novelties like The Commentators’ N-N-Nineteen Not Out on Now 5, a parody of Paul Hardcastle’s 19, which describes the poor performances of England’s cricket team. Another is Karel Fialka’s synth-and-drum combination Hey Matthew which graced Now 10 and deals with a father questioning his son’s television choices. And for many years, the only way you could obtain a CD version of Tears For Fears’ Everybody Wants To Run The World (recorded to promote Sport Aid) was on the spin-off CD-only Now ‘86 released that year. Flying the flag for obscure sophisti-pop were The Ward Brothers’ Don Was-produced Cross That Bridge on Now 9 and Waterfront’s superb Cry on Now 15. And back to Paul Hardcastle: his Top Of The Pops theme, The Wizard, appeared on Now 8.

The above is an extract from a longer feature I wrote for Classic Pop magazine in 2017. Full link here.

The above is an extract from a longer feature I wrote for Classic Pop magazine in 2017. Full link here.

That's a great read.

Here's a memory jogged by Hungry for Hits with the wolf on the cover, far superior to the more well known Pretty in Pink

Great tune from the Madchester era. Never reached the charts as far as I know.

Makes a great ringtone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 df02169

Inspiral Carpets:

Got a release in the US but in the UK just had a promo 12" and was also on the She Comes In The Fall single.
    When they played McGonagles that April, the crowd broke the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Depeche Mode in general

Strangely underrated in uk and Ireland - the amount of people that think they wouldn’t fill whelans!

Dm in classic mode black and white
    Little 15

The sun and the rainfall -
    early DM

Walking in my Shoes
    Beautiful video matching the lyrics
    Grunge period for them

Photographic is class, this whole compilation was a game-changer back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Whatever about Stevie Nick's!!! Christine had her own thing...

I really like this track from REM's least popular album, the band even dissed this collection but this is a fine song.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Set adrift on memory bliss, by p.m dawn is a beautiful song and well worth a listen.I'd highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Im
    Tammy! wrote: »
    Whatever about Stevie Nick's!!! Christine
    had her own thing...

I had a wee girl crush on CMcV as a teen.
    I discovered Fleetwood Mac after I found her, oddly enough.

That PM Dawn track is a sample of Spandau Ballet's "True", isn't it?

Flash & the Pan are more well known for "Waiting on a Train", but this lost classic from 1985 is better. I first encountered it on MT USA, but didn't get a copy of the song until the digital era. I couldn't find the old video, but it's still a belter

Someone mentioned this earlier in the thread, I thought I'd link the video.

An absolutely awesome song, had the pleasure of seeing Martin Gore do a an acoustic version of it a few years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Always thought this was a very underrated tune, particularly apt with all the nonsense that is brexit going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Advertisement