Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underated song

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

A great band. And kevin Rowland another British popstar with Irish parents. Parents are from Mayo just like Gallaghers mother. So many of the greats of British music are first or second generation Irish eg Oasis , The Beatles ( Lennon , McCartney, Harrison) The Smiths , Elvis Costello ( Real name Declan McManus) , Dusty Springfield ( Real name Mary O Brien ) , The kinks ( Davies brothers ) , Kevin Rowland and Dexys , Boy George (real name George O Dowd ) , David Essex ( parents were Irish Travellers ) , Ryder and many many more. Even Bowie had an Irish mother. Take Johnny Marr his parents came from Athy in kildare . Manj from Stone Roses parents came from up the street from Marr ( real name Maher ) in Athy also. Marr best British guitarist of last 35 years and Mani possibly the best baas player in British music in the same time , both their parents came from Athy. Comedians as well nearly all British top comedians are first generation or second generation Irish like Steve Coogan whose family come from Mayo and Peter Kays family come from Roscommon . Spike Milligan who had an Irish passport father and mother were from Sligo. Jimmy Carr also has an Irish passport he was born in limerick. Others with Irish backgrounds are Sean locke , Billy Connelly , Michael Mcityrne , Lee Mack ( family Mayo ) , Lee Evans, Shane Ritchie, Dermot O Leary , Frankie Boyle ( parents from Gweedore in Donegal) , Mickey Flanagan, Caroline Aherne , Kathy Burke and kevin Bridges.

Rowland has written brilliantly about being first generation Irish in Britian . Rowland has always written about his Irishness. Check out the song Burn it Down which is having a go at British people who make Irish Paddy man jokes.

Rowland has a touch of genius. And is underated. He would be a greater musical talent then say Damien Albarn or Thom Yorke or Ian Brown and never really gets real due credit. But he wouldnt be as cool. He took real risks and was real pop rebel innovator.
    Dexys created different sound for nearly every album. The albums
    Searching for the Young Soul Rebels hasnt dated well but it is a brillant brillant album. To ry Aeay with kind of Celtic sound is also a brillant album. Dont stand Down is his third masterpiece.
    People know Come on Eileen but here are other Dexy pop gems

Dexys Burn it Down
    Dexys Tell me when my light turns Green
    Dexys Geno
    Dexys Jackie Wilson Said
    Dexys Until I believe in my Soul
    Dexys Lets make this precision
    Dexys This is what she likes

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Great choice. I love the Big Thing album; the other two singles get more attention but ...Shame is great. The song used to promote Decade - Burning The Ground - is even more obscure.

I remember that was the "new song" on the 1992 Greatest Hits. Although a version of it appeared on the Sowings The Seeds Of Love B-Side and was also added to the Japanese CD of the album. Nice tune too.

"Burning the Ground" is a funny yoke, someone had a good time at the mixing desk.
    Duran Duran had some marvelous singles which are still easy on the ear.

You're right about "Laid So Low" on the Greatest Hits, never knew it had a prior existence.

There are so many underrated songs by Depeche Mode. Here are some more: Behind The Wheel, Shake the Disease and Precious.

Those are great tunes, they're hardly underrated though.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    REM have some great tunes underated, they went on run of albums in late 80s to early 90s that was unreal.

I'd also include all of New Adventures in HiFi, which Michael Stipe has stated is his favourite REM album

And U2 have some great underated b sides that are underrated

U2 Spanish Eyes
    U2 Salome

U2 The Lady with Spinning Head
    And the excellent U2 Love comes Tumbling

Underated Songs on U2 albums

U2 Lemon

The highlighted ones are my favourites.

The Perfecto mix of Lemon is fantastic, goes on forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Back to Duran Duran, always liked this from their later stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19 edwardG

Absolute gem from Gerry Rafferty, the piped intro is about a minute long.

Never even dented the lower regions of the charts when released as a single, a pure travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Underated Beatles Songs

1 Hey Bulldog
    2 Two of Us
    3 Sun king
    4 No Reply
    5 Im so Tired
    6 For no One
    7 Rain
    8 Mother Natures Son
    9 Im a Loser
    10 The Word
    11 And your bird can Sing
    12 Girl
    13 Baby your a Rich Man
    14 I got a Feeling
    15 Your going to lose that Girl

I'd add You Never Give Me Your Money to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Some good old forgotten punk, this is a cracking tune:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Superb song from 1995.

Now 30.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    Some good old forgotten punk, this is a cracking tune:

Their goth phase. Loved Grimly Fiendish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

I always thought Give Into Me was an underrated tune from Michael Jackson's catalogue. Slash played guitar on it and this era was when Michael Jackson's voice was at its absolute peak imo. Was a hit at the time, but rarely mentioned in conversations about his best songs now.

Kylie's best song is Confide in Me and is one of the best songs of the 90s actually. It was critically acclaimed at the time, but again it's probably not the first song people would associate with Kylie. A darker, more trip-hop sound that's kind of different to her more flamboyant pop hits.

Prince was such a prolific songwriter that it's really hard to narrow down the amount of underrated songs in his back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

One the greatest artists of all time yet so many of his songs so many don't know!

That song utterly breaks my heart.

I adore that song: A for the track it is, and B: for the fact he was SUCH an amazing performer/entertainer.
    Like Freddie.

I used to have copious amounts of WHAM posters on my bedroom wall as a 8-10 year old.

I still listen to solo George regularly at the age of 44.

Such a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The amount of music people have never even heard. Like anything the Beatles didn’t put on their greatest hits is now unknown by generations. Helter Skelter, Hey Bulldog, I am the walrus, glass onion, rocky raccoon, why don’t we do it in the road, happiness is a warm gun, that’s just off the top of my head.

Shame really. I’m currently listening to Lee scratch Perry’s catalogue slugging a few Guinness.

BDI wrote: »
    I am the walrus, glass onion, rocky raccoon, why don’t we do it in the road, happiness is a warm gun, that’s just off the top of my head.

All these Beatles songs are very well known now and well rated.

Lesalare wrote: »
    All these Beatles songs are very well known now and well rated.

You honesty saying that if I walked over to tesco tomorrow and asked a sample of 100 people to sing any of these songs I would get 75per cent good answers?

50per cent

Ten or five I reckon

You honesty saying that if I walked over to tesco tomorrow and asked a sample of 100 people to sing any of these songs I would get 75per cent good answers?

50per cent

Ten or five I reckon

Yes I do.
    Those tracks are on most of the Beatles albums/remasters over the past 10 years or so.

The original Q was: most underrated songs, not most unknown.

• Advertisement

Lesalare wrote: »
    Yes I do.
    Those tracks are on most of the Beatles albums/remasters over the past 10 years or so.

Oh rite, didn’t realise the kids were buying up Beatles reissues. Thought they’d be more into Bieber or Rita Ora.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Muse are such an underrated band and even better live.

Oh rite, didn’t realise the kids were buying up Beatles reissues. Thought they’d be more into Bieber or Rita Ora.

You are still totally missing the point of the original Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

PressRun wrote: »
    Kylie's best song is Confide in Me and is one of the best songs of the 90s actually. It was critically acclaimed at the time, but again it's probably not the first song people would associate with Kylie. A darker, more trip-hop sound that's kind of different to her more flamboyant pop hits.

That Kylie song is my favourite of hers. Very underrated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Always rated Stuart Murdoch as an underrated lyricist. Outside of making the soundtrack for Juno, IMHO this is a fantastic song that never made it. One of many buried in the enormous B&S back catalogue.

and one more while i'm here :)

smacl wrote: »
    Always rated Stuart Murdoch as an underrated lyricist. Outside of making the soundtrack for Juno, IMHO this is a fantastic song that never made it. One of many buried in the enormous B&S back catalogue.

Expectations is brilliant. IMHO a band who peaked on their debut with each successive album seeing a fall off in quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Expectations is brilliant. IMHO a band who peaked on their debut with each successive album seeing a fall off in quality.

Wouldn't agree, personally I reckon "The boy with the Arab strap", "If you're feeling sinister", "Dear catastrophe waitress" and "God help the girl" are all excellent albums. Cracking live band too, caught two of the three recent gigs and and they were sublime. To be fair, not sure I enjoyed any of their albums on the first listen but find they really grow on me and are ones I come back to a lot. Not mad on much of their more recent stuff, but reckon "Nobody's Empire" is another excellent single

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

..don't be a mountain man

smacl wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree, personally I reckon "The boy with the Arab strap", "If you're feeling sinister", "Dear catastrophe waitress" and "God help the girl" are all excellent albums. Cracking live band too, caught two of the three recent gigs and and they were sublime. To be fair, not sure I enjoyed any of their albums on the first listen but find they really grow on me and are ones I come back to a lot. Not mad on much of their more recent stuff, but reckon "Nobody's Empire" is another excellent single

That's a good tune .

Had negative live experiences (1999 Whelans + Electric Picnic 2006) but nothing since. If You're Feeling Sinister is brilliant too, almost as good as Tiger Milk. They had a very strong run of EPs up to 2001 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

https://youtu.be/Cee4ftcKEgw

Lightening Seeds - Joy.

Advertisement