Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New banking access setup from today: AIB

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BOI app used to cause trouble over me having a third party keyboard app installed - they can make very silly decisions. Just warn people that it could be a risk and if they're not aware of having done it to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It works fine on my Android phone (Pixel 3) but my wife is having some usability issues on her iPhone.

If I log in with my user id when my phone is locked and I miss the notification pop up, I can unlock it and swipe down and see the notification. I can then either click directly on the Confirm text, or click on the background of the notification which then brings me into the app with a big Confirm button.

If my wife logs in, the notification pops up very briefly, but if you aren't quick enough clicking on it, it seems to just disappear and she can't find it anywhere so the login times out. I'm guessing this is an iOS thing, so does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I don’t use a smart phone, so now I have to carry that card reader with me all the time. I have an iPad, which I thought I might be able to use the app on instead, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Really irritating that there isn’t a normal text notification option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

if you use the card reader to set up, does it mean you have to use the card reader everytime you log into your account .EDIT it does

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Beagslife

I'm still on Windows Mobile so have had to use the Edge browser up till now. 

I contacted AIB and they said that once you use the card reader to log in ever 90 days you will be able to use the Limited Access login. This allows you to check on balances and transfer between accounts and transfer to saved Irish accounts already used for transfers.

At least this will cut out the need to carry a card reader around!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I don’t use a smart phone, so now I have to carry that card reader with me all the time. I have an iPad, which I thought I might be able to use the app on instead, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Really irritating that there isn’t a normal text notification option.

You could set up the text login rather than the card reader log in. With the text login, you will get a text with a code every time you try to log in to your bank account. You then enter this code within 5 minutes to complete the login process

You could set up the text login rather than the card reader log in. With the text login, you will get a text with a code every time you try to log in to your bank account. You then enter this code within 5 minutes to complete the login process

You still need a smart phone to do this, though. The card reader is working fine, and as mentioned above there is limited access without it. Still a bit annoying that accessibility has been reduced. I’ve set up 100% monthly payment on my credit card balance, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting that.

You still need a smart phone to do this, though. The card reader is working fine, and as mentioned above there is limited access without it. Still a bit annoying that accessibility has been reduced. I’ve set up 100% monthly payment on my credit card balance, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting that.

No you don't. My mother has a non-smart phone and I set up her internet banking to get a code via text everything she signs in

No you don't. My mother has a non-smart phone and I set up her internet banking to get a code via text everything she signs in

With AIB? I’m not getting that option. It’s either saying to download the app or use a card reader.

With AIB? I’m not getting that option. It’s either saying to download the app or use a card reader.

Yes, with AIB. When I was setting it up last week, there was a little option to show other options that I clicked on, and it game me the option to select text login

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

still can't access my accounts through internet browser after 10 days. aib now say that i can try pairing with the cardholder instead of my mobile...absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. think this might just be the push i need to make me switch banks. also i'm surprised at the lack of outrage people seem to have at being denied access to their accounts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You might be in a small minority having teething issues.

Yes, with AIB. When I was setting it up last week, there was a little option to show other options that I clicked on, and it game me the option to select text login

Weird. I might follow that up, as I only got the card reader option in the other options section. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

That's annoying to hear. I enquired from an AIB rep the other day and I was categorically told in very blunt terms that text login was NOT an option so I had to order a card reader (I haven't got a smartphone and only ever login from my home PC).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

bb12 wrote: »
    still can't access my accounts through internet browser after 10 days. aib now say that i can try pairing with the cardholder instead of my mobile...absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. think this might just be the push i need to make me switch banks. also i'm surprised at the lack of outrage people seem to have at being denied access to their accounts!

No, I'm on the point of switching too. It's working for me, but wasn't particularly happy with the notice period they gave or the difficulty in finding options other than their app. Which is apparently going to stop working for me as soon as I root my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

I can't get access either, as a previous poster said, I am also getting the "timed out" issue.
    Did AIB explain that there is a way to change the dual verification to the Card Reader if I have already selected the Mobile option?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For those having problems with the 2FA, the so-called "Limited Access" actually allows you to do quite a lot. You can see all your account balances, recent transactions and perform transfers to already set-up beneficiaries. You can't set up new beneficiaries and a few other things, but it's really not that "limited" and in fact allows me to do 99% of what I normally do when I log in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

can't get this to work. am with vodafone using android. the desktop site keeps timing out when trying to authenticate. i can log into my accounts though the app on my phone.
    I can't get access either, as a previous poster said, I am also getting the "timed out" issue.
    Did AIB explain that there is a way to change the dual verification to the Card Reader if I have already selected the Mobile option?

I was getting this issue as well. Tried calling AIB, but was on hold for too long. Ended up solving it myself.

In my case the issue was that I needed to go in to the app notification settings and allow the app to send notifications. If you are on Android (I'm on version 9), simply go in to the Phone Settings -> Notifications; browse to the AIB app and click on it. On the next screen, make sure everything is enabled. Everything worked fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

dotsman wrote: »
    I was getting this issue as well. Tried calling AIB, but was on hold for too long. Ended up solving it myself.

In my case the issue was that I needed to go in to the app notification settings and allow the app to send notifications. If you are on Android (I'm on version 9), simply go in to the Phone Settings -> Notifications; browse to the AIB app and click on it. On the next screen, make sure everything is enabled. Everything worked fine after that.

Thanks dotsman, but my notifications were already enabled. Ive since been advised by AIB on twitter to uninstall/reinstall app, which I did, and re-registered my mobile, but still no luck. Last resort was to ring AIB but don't fancy that if I'm going to just be put on hold.
    I might try uninstalling the app again & just choose the Card Reader as my option for 2nd verification

EDIT:(OK choosing the Card reader upon re-installing of the app is not an option, I was only given the option of using mobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI - spotted this over on Reddit which may fix incorrectly detected root devices.

https://github.com/ppamorim/aib_fix
    (Use at your own risk)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Looks like they are tighten up the system from 2nd October. got this email

The latest version of our Mobile App went live on the App store and Google Play store in September. Only the latest version of the AIB Mobile App has Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) security features. Without SCA security, you may not be able to access your online accounts from 2nd October. (Of course, if you have already set up for SCA, you don't need to take any further action).
    I don't want to do my banking on my mobile, I want to use my computer
    That's ok. You won't have do your banking on a mobile. The AIB Mobile App has the inbuilt security to act as the 'second lock' for your online accounts. Then, when you access your internet banking via your computer, we'll send a confirmation notification to your mobile app to make sure that it's really you. It's a really easy way to set up SCA. Alternatively, if you don't want to use a mobile phone at all, you can set up SCA with a Card Reader. You can order a Card Reader free of charge through the 'Services & Settings' section on Online Banking.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭bb12

now the mobile app isn't working on my mobile anymore. keep getting a "connection insecure" error. so right now i'm completely locked out of all my aib bank accounts. have been with aib since 1993 but this is the end. i'm gonna switch banks. kbc look like a good alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

now the mobile app isn't working on my mobile anymore. keep getting a "connection insecure" error. so right now i'm completely locked out of all my aib bank accounts. have been with aib since 1993 but this is the end. i'm gonna switch banks. kbc look like a good alternative.

The internet login is off line as well. i have been... since 1990 :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

The AIB site is having issues - they tweeted that about an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Gru

Did anyone else when they clicked the "choose another option" get the ability to instead have a 6 digit pin text to your phone? instead of using the app

my wife (without the app on her phone) had this option made available to her when she logged in and clicked on "choose another option" and has set it up this way, and now is no longer being asked to set up the other ways, i too would like this option but it doesn't come up for me when i click the same link instead mine goes straight to the card reader option..

Gru wrote: »
    Did anyone else when they clicked the "choose another option" get the ability to instead have a 6 digit pin text to your phone? instead of using the app

my wife (without the app on her phone) had this option made available to her when she logged in and clicked on "choose another option" and has set it up this way, and now is no longer being asked to set up the other ways, i too would like this option but it doesn't come up for me when i click the same link instead mine goes straight to the card reader option..

No, I didn’t anyway. I’d much prefer that to the card reader. I had a card reader already, I wonder if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adrynov

My wife is with AIB and they have been trying our patience. I won't bore you with details, but honestly a little child acts more logically.

E.g. Do you know what happens when you make a purchase in the US/UK online and receive an SMS to confirm it? You say Yes, the next morning your debit card is blocked. On three occasions, pure coincidence.

Alright, we installed this little gem of a mobile app on her mobile. A few swears here, lots of data checks there. All correct.

In an hour or so, the app demands to re-enter the PAC. Weird, we do not have to remember that after the phone has been tied to the account. Send a text message to auto login or something.

OK, we enter the correct PAC digits. Fail. We try again. Fail.

We go to the AIB Internet banking and enter correct data. Always worked in the past. Now - Locked Out everywhere.

Enjoy the AIB mobile app, but have some cash just in case you are hungry and AIB suggest you go to their branch on Monday to unlock the card.

P.S. two-factor authentication is not secure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Having just got a new phone, I tried to set up the 2-factor tonight. Log in with id and PAC then it give me a splash screen with how to do a quick balance check. No way past it - going back just asks for the same logins again. FAIL.

ETA: Ok, it wasn't obvious to me so I'll leave it here in case it helps others. Press the quick balance in the middle of the screen. I thought it was just an image but it's a button. I have it set up now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

No and neither did two friends who have now had to order Card Readers.
    No, I didn’t anyway. I’d much prefer that to the card reader. I had a card reader already, I wonder if that makes any difference?
    I don't think so. I didn't have a card reader previously.

As mentioned in my previous post the AIB rep I spoke to left me in no doubt that it was either Mobile APP or Card Reader and there is no "text only" option.

Can anyone else confirm that they were granted "text only" access?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Ffs. So after two calls to support, they unregistered my phone. I uninstalled the app, then reinstalled the app, and it worked all week. The option in app settings for push notifications appeared.

Today it stopped again.
    Went back into settings on app and push notifications options has disappeared again.

So uninstalled again and then installed again and it's reappeared and now working again.

Advertisement