Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets Dublin Convention Centre 29 April 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A nice tribute to Richard Wright here.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

RayCon wrote: »
    .... then the following month saw Roger in the Marquee in Cork - when Nick popped up for the DSoTM set and mind was absolutely blown.

... as was the generator. :D

Superb gig.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Row BB as well.

I wonder if Roger will reciprocate as a guest, given Nick performed the Dark Side set back in the Marquee. Ok, I'm allowed a little dream :)

6-nick-mason-pink-floyd-best-actors.jpg
    Thanks! That's me screensaver sorted for the next 6 months!

Certainly a painless exercise this morning. And even 15 minutes after opening, you could get very decent tickets in the stalls. Only thing is if booking 4 tickets even at 10am, you were given seats further back in the stalls but still they were decent seats. I looked a while ago and circle was predominantly offered at that stage with only single seats being offered for the stalls- I’d say everything will be gone shortly but if you were a fan and wanted to go, then certainly you had plenty of chances this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Certainly a painless exercise this morning. And even 15 minutes after opening, you could get very decent tickets in the stalls. Only thing is if booking 4 tickets even at 10am, you were given seats further back in the stalls but still they were decent seats. I looked a while ago and circle was predominantly offered at that stage with only single seats being offered for the stalls- I’d say everything will be gone shortly but if you were a fan and wanted to go, then certainly you had plenty of chances this morning.
    Strange the batches of 4 were so far back so early on all right.
    I was offered circle row G at 10:01, so changed to a pair and got stalls row D, big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

€86 for a gig, these things are fast moving out of my price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Same here, but I made an exception this time. Always wanted a good set with very early Floyd and Mason brought that to be.
    Buuuuut, still trying to wrap my head around Gary Kemps involvement, I keep picturing him in his new romantic days.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

while i sorta agree.. i was thinking about this last week when initial prices were muted... but heres my opinion

i used to think nothing of dropping 40, 50 , 60 euros a time every month / couple of weekss on cds back when they were the big thing. going into tower records or hmv or similar i would always come out with a few albums.. either of new stuff that i would have heard on the radio or some deal on an old cd that i was interested in....
    so including the gigs that i would regularly go to.. i could easily spend the guts of €1000 plus yearly on "music"

now, i have one spotify account @ €11 monthly which has practially all the music i want to listen to on it.. it has new ablums available pretty much when they are released... and its a valuable source to see and arrange what and how i listen to.... at approx €140 annually.

so even if i was attending an €70 cost gig monthly (which i dont!) id still be spedning less money on "music" annually.

so i dont actually have a huge issue forking out the extra few dollars for gigs than i did say 10 years ago. This year my gig schedule has given me david gray, sharon van etten, the cure, EP, neil + liam finn, mick flannery... and upcoming i have the pixies, richard hawley, Bjork .. with Nick a great additon alreayd for next year, along with next years EP.

i dont feel too stretched to be honest, becuase its money i would have spent on physical music anyway.

Strange the batches of 4 were so far back so early on all right.
    I was offered circle row G at 10:01, so changed to a pair and got stalls row D, big difference.

Big difference indeed- I had purchased 4 with 2 in mind for presents but sacrificed seats closer to the stage as a result - saying that, I think 6-8 rows back, center stage will be the prime seats for this concert- you may have restricted view if in the frontrow- I imagine it will be a visual performance as well as audio so being further back may well be an advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

And Richard Wright, was lucky enough to see Gilmour's Floyd in Manchester in 1988 but have never seen Roger Waters.

Seen Waters twice now. The gig in the Aviva with the giant screen/stage was one of the best gigs I've ever been at. He came out in full Nazi uniform at one stage, started firing an Uzi. I'd taken shrooms and was in complete awe the whole gig. Savage

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Seen Waters twice now. The gig in the Aviva with the giant screen/stage was one of the best gigs I've ever been at. He came out in full Nazi uniform at one stage, started firing an Uzi. I'd taken shrooms and was in complete awe the whole gig. Savage

Nice way to take in the show :)

Lucky enough to see Roger four times since 2006, first time being in cork, then in the point and then twice during the wall tour.

Haven't seen Dave (yet).... Hopefully some day, definitely willing to travel.

I've actually even seen dick parry play (played with violent femmes years ago).

But in really looking forward to this, I'm a huge early floyd fan, as shown by my username here. I've seen the aussie Floyd a few times, with them doing some early stuff. But seeing it played live, with nick (and guy pratt)....

S' gonna be epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

sydthebeat wrote: »
    olympia has a capacity of 1250 people, with a standing section.

vicar st has a capacity of 1050 seated.

Auditorium in the Convention center is the next best option after that with 2000 seated and is a nice looking venue too....

Bord Gais would have been equally as good, with 2100 seated, and a lovely venue....

Must also give a shout for the BG theatre. I saw The Brit Floyd there & have to say the acoustics were excellent. Best version of Comfortably Numb I ever heard imho.

olympia has a capacity of 1250 people, with a standing section.

vicar st has a capacity of 1050 seated.

Auditorium in the Convention center is the next best option after that with 2000 seated and is a nice looking venue too....

Bord Gais would have been equally as good, with 2100 seated, and a lovely venue....

Must also give a shout for the BG theatre. I saw The Brit Floyd there & have to say the acoustics were excellent. Best version of Comfortably Numb I ever heard imho.

Shine onYou Crazy Diamond

Ticketmaster has map showing the Auditorium as the venue.
    Going to sell fast.
    Wonder is there a chance of a second date.

If there is to bea 2nd Gig, it would have to be the day before, because I think they are playing 2 days later in Scotland.

Pricey at €86 but grabbed tickets. Last Floyd show I was at was Roger Waters gig in the Aviva, which was bloody fantastic. Roll on April. The Convention Centre could be really good for this

Pricey @ 86 quid? I thought is was cheap, considering Roger’s last 3 were over 100 each....if memory s raves me right. NO complaints either all 3 gigs were EXCEPTIONAL

The Nal wrote: »
    Thing is, Time and Breathe aside, I'd much rather see this than a Dave Gilmour gig.

Not having seen Nick live - got my tickets for stalls row P ( have no idea how good or bad the seat is ), but seen David live in Wroclaw, & Roger’ last 3 Gigs in Dublin, I would never choose one over the other.......just soak everything in and enjoy.

rednik wrote: »
    I've seen Dave three times the first was in the Stadium in 1984 and I would go again in an instant. The only thing that bugs me about him is he ignores the best music he has written which is his debut album, for me this is a classic album, About Face is decent enough but beyond that the rest are mediocre.

In defense of David, PULSE is the greatest live Gig I have ever see on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭dasdog

I actually got bored and left halfway through part two of that show. We were on the beer all evening and smoked too much at the interval and were muttering it was a pity he wasn't playing some of Barrett era material. The politics just drove us back in to town in search of more drink.

Hehe, hats off though. I'm on the continent at the moment but will be back next weekend for a wander up the Wicklow/Dublin mountain border area to gather a couple of hundred of those earthy gems hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was watching the full set which is pretty enjoyable, can't resist posting this some lovely moments and a nice trawl through the archives.

But this is still my favourite of the Pre-Dark Side of the Moon era Pink Floyd, Careful With That Axe, Eugene (not covered by SOS Group) video clip.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

... as was the generator. :D

Superb gig.

Indeed ... have the "fan shot" bootleg DVD "Tripped Out In Cork" ... it's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

In defense of David, PULSE is the greatest live Gig I have ever see on DVD.

Wow ... I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely hate PULSE.

Indeed ... have the "fan shot" bootleg DVD "Tripped Out In Cork" ... it's excellent.

I have that too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I've actually even seen dick parry play (played with violent femmes years ago).

Vicar St 2006?

Vicar St 2006?

Yeah that sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah that sounds about right.

What a gig that was.

What a gig that was.

yes it was, i love the way they play with Victor playing up front and central with his minimum set up !

great gig

:confused:c
    Wow ... I couldn't disagree more. Absolutely hate PULSE.

You are entitled to your opinion RC, but can I ask why you think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Never seen it, it looks brilliant. I wonder if we'll see more gigs there now

• Advertisement

Never seen it, it looks brilliant. I wonder if we'll see more gigs there now

Exactly what I was thinking, it looks like a great venue.

Advertisement