Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who - 18/03/2020 - 3arena

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

The new album The Who is out and its getting rave reviews.
    I had a quick listen and its very good,some great songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Zardoz wrote: »
    The new album The Who is out and its getting rave reviews.
    I had a quick listen and its very good,some great songs.

Listening now, its excellent!

The Nal wrote: »
    Listening now, its excellent!

It sure is .
    Seems Townshend and Daltrey were never in the same studio during recording it.
    Never the less they have come up with a great album.
    Really looking forward to this gig now .

• Registered Users Posts: 37,898 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tempted about going to this

Is it just the who on there own or with an orchestra

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tempted about going to this

Is it just the who on there own or with an orchestra

the mcd & 3arena websites still say the orchestra. I was wondering since there are fairly lengthy ads on the radio for it still and they do not mention the orchestra at all -and have plenty of time to do so. I thought this was really odd as many people will have seen them before and the orchestra was a big attraction for me anyway, and I expect might be the tipping point for others. It also makes a high price ticket seem better value, not that they were expensive relative to other acts.

So I wondered if it had quietly been pulled. Esp. as it did not sell out..

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    the mcd & 3arena websites still say the orchestra. I was wondering since there are fairly lengthy ads on the radio for it still and they do not mention the orchestra at all -and have plenty of time to do so. I thought this was really odd as many people will have seen them before and the orchestra was a big attraction for me anyway, and I expect might be the tipping point for others. It also makes a high price ticket seem better value, not that they were expensive relative to other acts.

So I wondered if it had quietly been pulled. Esp. as it did not sell out..

Think I'll wait til near xmas eve and decide then

Never saw the who and/or an orchestra

There website says 'the who on the road' but 3arenas one says its 'moving on tour with the orchestra'

Will there be many visuals for this show ???

Looking to buy a ticket but dont want to spend much for it. The lower price cat is €77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Will there be many visuals for this show ???

Looking to buy a ticket but dont want to spend much for it. The lower price cat is €77

If you've never seen them and you're a fan.... Go, they are well worth the money

EyesClosed wrote: »
    If you've never seen them and you're a fan.... Go, they are well worth the money

I like crossing bands/acts off the list and this maybe a good chance of getting The Who of that

Familiar with the hits and like a few songs of the latest album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

I like crossing bands/acts off the list and this maybe a good chance of getting The Who of that

Familiar with the hits and like a few songs of the latest album

The Who are always worth seeing live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The who are definitely worth seeing, they ll just put on a great show, I didn't know much of their stuff when I seen them, but loved the show

Ye deff won be over shall be buying a ticket in the near future

Got my ticket Block P €87

Now the wait and see if it's the band with an orchestra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Got my ticket Block P €87

Now the wait and see if it's the band with an orchestra

It is .... here's the way it's set up :

Set 1 - 10 Songs With Orchestra
    Set 2 - the band on their own (only 5 songs)
    Set 3 - (Encore) - 7 Songs with Orchestra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The Who definitely my favorite band and are amazing live. Was at quadrephenia in 3 arena and amazed at how good Daltrey was. Certainly defied his age. I was at side stage and after every 4th song or Pete solo he'd go back stage, literally collapse with roadies putting tinfoil around him and gulping water and then bound back. Disappointed they only played a couple of Who songs at the end. I'll try to get tickets for this.

One of the best concerts I've seen is Tommy in Brixton many moons ago. Tommy the movie remains my favourite film and watched it over 1000 times. Still makes me chuckle how my parents let a 7-8 year old kid watch it without having a clue of the content.

joeguevara wrote: »
    The Who definitely my favorite band and are amazing live. Was at quadrephenia in 3 arena and amazed at how good Daltrey was. Certainly defied his age. I was at side stage and after every 4th song or Pete solo he'd go back stage, literally collapse with roadies putting tinfoil around him and gulping water and then bound back. Disappointed they only played a couple of Who songs at the end. I'll try to get tickets for this.

One of the best concerts I've seen is Tommy in Brixton many moons ago. Tommy the movie remains my favourite film and watched it over 1000 times. Still makes me chuckle how my parents let a 7-8 year old kid watch it without having a clue of the content.

Is daltrey gone deaf ??

Is daltrey gone deaf ??

Not that I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:
    Is daltrey gone deaf ??

I'm sure we d have been told by now if he is, he probably has tinnitus, like all the rest of them

got my ticket for it and it says 'The who plus special guests'

i imagine the 'special guests' are the orchestra ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

got my ticket for it and it says 'The who plus special guests'

i imagine the 'special guests' are the orchestra ?

I thought there would be none in 3area as it finishes early enough usually.

I see Liam Gallagher supported in the US for the latest gigs, nothing listed for UK or here on the wiki page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_On!_Tour

Back doing a few small acoustic gigs to warm up

https://youtu.be/MOtsqraEHqc

Looking forward to the show in March. First time seeing them but I'm paranoid it might not be as good with the orchestra and wont play some hits

I see that they added a concert at the Albert Hall in London next month and they have a full orchestra so hopefully Dublin will be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,522 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Back doing a few small acoustic gigs to warm up

https://youtu.be/MOtsqraEHqc

Looking forward to the show in March. First time seeing them but I'm paranoid it might not be as good with the orchestra and wont play some hits

Would love love love to see that show

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Was fortunate enough to get a ticket for the early show last Wednesday in Kingston Upon Thames. 50 min acoustic. About 400 or so in attendance. It was amazing. Roll on March 18th.

Interesting conversation last night with a mate. I was playing Tommy on vinyl and put a few of the songs from the film on tv to show the difference. He asked me did I prefer the album or the film and it really was difficult. I grew up watching the film from the age of 7 or 8 and watched it thousands of time’s (fcucked up for a rural 8 year old I know). Listened to the album for the first time at 15 and loved it. I definitely think the film is more entertaining and the stars put their own stamp. But the album blows me away.

Also the subtle differences always intrigue me. Like the film when Oliver Reid and Ann Margaret are falling in love, it’s ‘I think 51 is going to be a good year’ but the album it’s 21. Also the Simpson song lyrics differ. The schedule of songs is different too.

So concluded love them both for different reasons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

joeguevara wrote: »
    Interesting conversation last night with a mate. I was playing Tommy on vinyl and put a few of the songs from the film on tv to show the difference. He asked me did I prefer the album or the film and it really was difficult. I grew up watching the film from the age of 7 or 8 and watched it thousands of time’s (fcucked up for a rural 8 year old I know). Listened to the album for the first time at 15 and loved it. I definitely think the film is more entertaining and the stars put their own stamp. But the album blows me away.

Also the subtle differences always intrigue me. Like the film when Oliver Reid and Ann Margaret are falling in love, it’s ‘I think 51 is going to be a good year’ but the album it’s 21. Also the Simpson song lyrics differ. The schedule of songs is different too.

So concluded love them both for different reasons.

Do you think its alright to lrave the boy with uncle Ernie?

Do you think its alright to lrave the boy with uncle Ernie?

Fiddling about, fiddling about.

When I think of 8 year old me watching that, tina turners acid queen with the heroin imagery, cousin Kevin ironing Tommy as he is tied to the ironing board, Oliver Reid smashing a lamp off Tommy’s dads head, Eric Clapton Marilyn Monroe church where they dish out uppers and whiskey in place of communion and wine and the hells angels blowing someone’s leg off with a sawn off, it’s amazing I’m not more fcucked up than I already am. And I watched it about 5 or 6 times a week until I was in my mid teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Caronavirus you better not **** this up ha

Advertisement