Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show Intros That Left A Huge Impression on You...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

The intro from Heidi (1970's)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTlpgrZS4E

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Clueless how to put the YouTube link in so I copied the lyrics..
    Theres a voice, That keeps on calling me
    Down the road, Thats where I'll always be
    Every stop I make, I make a new friend
    Can't stay for long, Just turn around
    and I'm gone again
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on
    Down this road, That never seems to end
    When you adventure, lies just around the bend
    so if you want to join me for awhile
    just grab your hat, come travel light
    thats hobo style
    Until tomorrow, The whole world is my home
    so if you want to join me for awhile
    just grab your hat, come travel light
    thats hobo style
    Theres a world just waiting to unfold
    brand new tale no one has ever told
    we've journeyed far but, you know it won't be long
    we're almost there, and we've paid our fare with the hobo song
    Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Some of the tunes that had me running to the sitting room are already mentioned - Faaaaaame! I'm gonna live forever! - And - Suicide is painless.. :( (loved that show)..Black Beauty, Little House, Chips, Brady Bunch, all recognisable tunes still in my head.

One not mentioned that I would (passionately) sing along all the words to is -
    Fcuk it I still sing that!

This is embarrassingly sappy but I adored this - don't know why my brothers always left in disgust when it came on!

And I was so insanely in love with this guy...so I raced in when this tune came on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Clueless how to put the YouTube link in so I copied the lyrics..

My pleasure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Can't link as on phone but creepiest intros were.

Children Of The Stones.

Tales Of The Unexpected.

Chocky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Can't link as on phone but creepiest intros were.

Children Of The Stones.

Tales Of The Unexpected.

Chocky.

I occasionally stumble across tales of the unexpected on sky arts at weekends, some of the stories are quite good, huge number of stars appeared in it,John Mills and Denholm elliot were in several, ran for a decade from the late seventies

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never really got into the reruns of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds are go, or UFO, but as a little kid, so little I can't remember any of the stories :o, I did love Stingray for some reason. Actually, and in the spirit of our thread, I reckon it was the theme music most of all.

Of his other stuff I thought Space 1999 was bleedin brilliant. :) I adored the Eagle spaceships in it, because they looked real and like they would work in actual space.

Mad we thought that was the "Future(c)" back then and the fantasy is now 20 years in the past. :eek:

One I remember from very early on. I think it was on the BBC(so only for the Jackeens with the "pipe TV", or Culchies with huge aerials, of which there were a few) on saturday mornings just before Swapshop? "Champion the Wonder Horse".

Tbh when the theme tune kicked in I'd look for my brekkie, or play with my lego or action man or Dinky Stuka(not euphemisms :D ) until the theme tune came on again which meant it was over. Ditto for Skippy the bush kangaroo. Hated that bloody show tbh.

Just as young I remember this, Bagpuss, again for the piped TV folks who could get the BBC.

My first experience with nostalgia was when that was rerun in the mid 80's when I was a teenager and I used to secretly watch it for the buzz of memories. IIRC it was on around lunchtime, 1:30is after Pebble MIll at one? IIRC cos it was when I went home for lunch from school. Oddly the older I got, the less nostalgic I have become in general.

I've always binged on documentaries and one advantage of being a kid in the 70's is that you really were spoilt for choice with non dumbed down TV documentaries. It was really the first era of TV documentaries(and kids TV too in many ways). The World About Us was but one I remember.

Civilisation, the World at War, Life on Earth, Cosmos, the list was a long one. Same with kids programming too. RTE wasn't too shabby at times either, what with independent film makers like Eamon de Buitlear and Gerrit van Gelderen producing fantastic stuff. David Shaw Smith who learned his trade at the side of the aforementioned Gerrit produced with his wife Sally, "Hands" for RTE chronicling the traditional skills of Ireland. IMHO one of the finest documentary series of the type and not just in Ireland either.

Hands_%28TV_series%29_title_card.jpg

I reckon that's a series in such need of reviving, maybe take the concept beyond Ireland to Europe and hunt out and record dying traditional skills there too, and traditional skills coming back too, what with the Interwebs increasing the market and audience for such things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Children of the Stones. Genuine scary intro and adults drinking and smoking on TV after school show. Amazing too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

How in the swiss blue cheese has this thread gone 5 pages without this entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Hawaii FIVE-0
    Miami Vice

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jiveartist

Well done to earlier Boardsies who got Battle of the Planets, anyone remember Terrahawks and Automan, great tunes aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

dublinjock wrote: »
    Tizwas

Health and safety would have a nightmare if that show was shown today.
    There never be another show like it.

Ah yes. Who can ever forget the bucket of water song or the dance of the dying fly!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dynasty (1981-1990). Watched this with my mum and sisters in the 80s. Joan Collins stole the show as the magnetically evil Alexis Carrington. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The x men cartoon.

Unreal tune

Had it as a custom ringtone back on my 3310

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Airwolf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The cat fights between Krystle and Alexis on Dynasty were legendary! :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I loved Early Edition from the mid/late 90s. It reminds me of more carefree days. The intro takes me back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

The wonder years, I loved the narrator's voice.

https://youtu.be/hSrXupUlA_Q

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I loved Early Edition from the mid/late 90s. It reminds me of more carefree days. The intro takes me back there.

Used to watch that myself as a kid. Can't remember what channel it was on. Didn't it change timeslots or stop being showed for a while?

That's when I stopped watching it. Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Never really got into the reruns of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds are go, or UFO, but as a little kid, so little I can't remember any of the stories :o,

Of his other stuff I thought Space 1999 was bleedin brilliant. :) I adored the Eagle spaceships in it, because they looked real and like they would work in actual space.

So much better than Season II music ;)

Space 1999 is repeated on Forces TV. Freesat 165

From 1975 and the Eagle transporter is still the most utilitarian looking design out there.
    Some people have way too much free time https://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Used to watch that myself as a kid. Can't remember what channel it was on. Didn't it change timeslots or stop being showed for a while?

That's when I stopped watching it. Good show.

TV3 used to show in here. Would love if one of the streaming services made it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

This bit of television theme gold:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 huddledDuke12

Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers

In fact, it was the inspiration for several of my songs.

Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Maxie's World

To be continued................;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

TV3 used to show in here. Would love if one of the streaming services made it available.

I'm going back years :pac:
    Think it was bbc2 that showed it in the 90s. Maybe sky one. So long ago it's hard to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

The Bill

Advertisement