Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Show Intros That Left A Huge Impression on You...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Baywatch was a guilty pleasure.

In my student days , I wouldn't have dared to have admitted watching it to my college friends, preferring to discuss the importance of 1970s Pink Floyd, the environment, boycotting Nestle products or some other such "right on" topic.

Let's face it...Baywatch was visual masturbation and there was eye candy galore for the guys and gals to ogle over, straight or gay. The actual plots of the episodes were irrelevant. It was all about storing those hot characters for the **** Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I love the simplicity of this introduction, class tune to go with it.

Heaven.

Jeff Conaway and Andy Kaufman in the credits there. Kenickie. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Highway to heaven

Knots landing

Little house on the prairie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Saw this first as a tiny kid when it was rerun on telly, then never again until about 25 years later when the complete series came out on DVD

Was still brilliant!

Highway to heaven

Knots landing

Little house on the prairie

Very memorable opening credits but a brutal show. Michael Landon had such a God complex.

And Little House On The Prairie was pretty messed up at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Breathe in that nostalgia and repeat after me.

"Thank you kindly"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Loved this, watched the intro every time

https://youtu.be/y9K0SzFIf4A

Jayce and the wheeled warriors

The littlest hobo also deserves a mention

https://youtu.be/lgGKSjiw0HQ

China Beach was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Growing up, i wanted to be michael J fox and live in america because of this.

Shalalala.....

• Advertisement

This is the “theme” that gives me the biggest endorphin rush. It’s an ident but it generally denotes quality and has done for a long, long time:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Crossbow. It was based on the legend of William Tell. I found the tune catchy at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think a lot of people are missing the point of the OP....

I always wanted to be a Gummi Bear

I think so too but it doesn’t really matter. Realistically, few of us are going to have a theme tune that significantly steered the course if our lives.

bnt wrote: »
    Six Feet Under:

The whole series is highly recommended, unless you have recently suffered a bereavement. :eek:

Best finale of any show. The last three episodes are unbelievable. I rewatched the whole series earlier this year and was in daze for a few days after completion.

I feel like SFU isn’t as well-regarded as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Thunderbirds are GO!. Enough tension and excitement to make beads of sweat drip off the forehead of a wooden puppet ..... and great music from composer Barry Gray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Best finale of any show. The last three episodes are unbelievable. I rewatched the whole series earlier this year and was in daze for a few days after completion.

I feel like SFU isn’t as well-regarded as it should be.
    Absolute quality.

I always felt it was overshadowed by The Sopranos, despite having better characters.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Was thinking of that too. Awesome Russian style tune by John Barry.

The Persuaders was an excellent show with an excellent intro. Was before my time but saw the re-runs in the early 90s. Curtis and Moore were a brilliant combination. Cool cars, good plots, great sets. And a cracking theme tune to boot, by none other than John Barry AND with synths too...super cool for the early 1970s!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I so wanted my own super copter ;)

I have always been a fan of sci-fi and shows with a space exploration theme. As an amateur astronomer, it is nice to stargaze and ponder on our place in the vast, vast universe...

Star Trek - The Next Generation (1987-94)

Battlestar Galactica (The Original Show) (1977-80)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The original Edge of Darkness from 1985 with the Late Bob Peck and a memorable soundtrack with Michael Kamen and Eric Clapton, not long after Clapton guested on Roger Water's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking album.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Gave me my love of country music and joyriding.

Heather Thomas coming through the door in her pale blue bikini at the 0.57 mark did things to me that I didn't understand as an 8yr old boy. Mmmm Mmm hmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

OK, watch the first 4 mins and 5 seconds of this one.... (or at least from 2:20 )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8PJOnzrF9w#t=140

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

maudgonner wrote: »

This was responsible for my fascination with Tarot cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,976 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ok, let's see if I can get the links to work this time.

Hearing these instantly takes me back to boyhood...

"We are the Famous Five..."

Jamie & His Magic Torch

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    When you have that level of sheer quality in documentary making by some of the best of the time - and the 70's was a high watermark already for TV docs - and so many people still alive who could tell their stores of that war*, and Lawrence Olivier doing the voiceover? Yeah, you're kinda set. .

...along with lots of use of the past tense. Call me old-fashioned, but I'm inclined to think that's the best tense to use when talking about history. Not that you'd know it from history documentaries today.

TV: "The Red Army tanks are rolling into Germany"
    Me: "Good thing I didn't book that weekend in Berlin with Ryanair..."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Black Beauty - what an anthemic, unforgettable tune!

Crap show though :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I was only watching this last night, first time I heard this intro in 25 + fckn years... This was a very good show. Why can't they make shows like this anymore ?? FFF YOU modern TV !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I realise this goes against the thread’s “theme” but this outro from the cartoon “The Racoons” still pops into my head from time to time.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement