Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creak/click when pedaling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Could be seat post against the seat tube,remove clean,lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

SwissToni wrote: »
    Could be seat post against the seat tube,remove clean,lube.

Actually had this issue a couple of months ago and did what you recommended to sort it out.

I thought the current creak was due to the seat post as well but it is still there even when I'm dancing on the pedals so I've ruled it out this time. Might still give it a shot though as having a go at the bottom bracket and chainring bolts looks like a right ball ache.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Tim76 wrote: »
    Actually had this issue a couple of months ago and did what you recommended to sort it out.

I thought the current creak was due to the seat post as well but it is still there even when I'm dancing on the pedals so I've ruled it out this time. Might still give it a shot though as having a go at the bottom bracket and chainring bolts looks like a right ball ache.

You don't necessarily need to be sitting, as far as I know it's the seat post acting against the seat tube as the frame flexes, if you have excess seat post you could cut a bit off the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Had a similar problem recently. Only happened when pedalling so presumed something with the drive train. Stripped it all down, regreased where required and refittted but you guessed it still there. Turned out it was a cleat on my shoe. Took 20 seconds to tighten the cleat bolts and problem gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

OK, tried nearly everything at this stage except the bottom bracket. The last job was the chainring bolts which are definitely tight enough as they weren't budging, despite employing my newly bought chainring peg spanner . Bike still creaking on the climbs :confused:

The BB is a Shimano Press Fit and from what I can gather it looks to be a bit of a job to overhaul, especially seeing as my tool set is quite limited.

Would you guys recommend getting a torque wrench to ensure every bolt on the bike is tightened correctly before I attempt the BB job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Had a click sound on my summer bike recently and when looked at shoes found that 2 of the cleat screws on one of them were missing. Only had one spare screw but put it in and tightened the others and the clicking stopped.

The clicking only seemed to happen when I was pulling on the pedals in certain ways.

Easy to eliminate this as a cause by putting on a mates pedals and getting the mate to cycle your bike in their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

Tim76 wrote: »
    Would you guys recommend getting a torque wrench to ensure every bolt on the bike is tightened correctly before I attempt the BB job?

I would recommend you try everything before you tackle the bb but you shouldn’t be afraid to tackle it either.

It can be very frustrating trying to identify the source but patience and perseverance is unfortunately the best way. Avoid checking the same things multiple times and keep exploring new possibilities. I have linked a fairly comprehensive list either in this thread or some other.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I was recently advised that the bearing in my pedals are the cause of my creaking. simple solution is to swap the ones from my "good" bike to the creaking one. BB and chain-rings have been checked so it makes sense in my head. I have gotten 3 summers and 2 winters from the pedals and not looked at them once (my bad).

Advertisement