Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creak/click when pedaling

Options
  • 10-09-2019 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am getting an annoying creaking/clicking noise when riding my Giant Defy 0.

The noise only appears when I pick up speed and it is there whether I stand up or sit down.

So far I've removed and lubed the seat post and saddle, lubed the chain, removed the wheels and changed the tires (to winter ones) and sprayed a bit of GT85 on any moving parts of the drive train that I could get to without taking the bike apart.

But the noise still persists.

Any ideas what the cause might be? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bottom bracket bearings possibly or chainring bolts may be loose. Both can cause creaking while pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

Clean the drop outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It could be:

Remove your wheels, clean the dropouts, then put a drop of oil on your finger and rub the inside of the dropouts. Then clean the wheel axles with a cloth and refit the wheels. Ensure the Skewers are tight.

If the creak is still there....well at least you know it's not the wheels! :)

Next step. Make sure the Handlebar stem bolts and seat post bolts are tight. Tehn remove the pedals, apply some grease to the treads and then refit them.

Creak still there? Make sure the cleats on your shoes are tight.

If its STILL creaking... New Bike! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

I think its the bottom bracket,crank too. This might help
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Bottom-Bracket-Overhaul-bicycle-maintenance/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If the creak is still there....well at least you know it's not the wheels! :)
    it still might be; i used to get a creak, generally only under load, from the spoke nipples twisting in the eyelets. was fixed with a tiny drop of oil where each nipple sits in the eyelet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

it still might be; i used to get a creak, generally only under load, from the spoke nipples twisting in the eyelets. was fixed with a tiny drop of oil where each nipple sits in the eyelet.

Similarly at spoke crossings. Again with the drop of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Had a similar problem with a bike recently that was driving me crazy... it was literally ruining my cycling for me. Could only notice when climbing under very high torque, I do a lot of hills so it was near constant sound for me but mechanics were at a loss to hear it rolling around a car park much less fix it, i went through everything i was convinced the sound was coming from below or behind me... so... pedals, seatpost, seat rails, headset, cleats, saddle, cranks, bb, spokes and rear wheel bearings all changed or taken apart and lubed... and we even considered it was the glued inserts in the carbon... decided it was new bike time and one day it dawned on me that the front wheel bearings were kind of new but took the wheel apart and found a few of them were absolutely shredded, water had gotten in at some stage over the summer and wreaked havoc. Blissful silence since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll start at the wheels and work my way up. Hopefully I won't have to replace the bike just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Happened to me, tried everything and it turned out to be over tightened bolts on the stem bolts.
    Torq wrench used from then on.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Happened to me, tried everything and it turned out to be over tightened bolts on the stem bolts.

It actually sounds worse when I cycle with no hands so I think I can rule out the stem this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Tim76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am getting an annoying creaking/clicking noise when riding my Giant Defy 0.

The noise only appears when I pick up speed and it is there whether I stand up or sit down.

So far I've removed and lubed the seat post and saddle, lubed the chain, removed the wheels and changed the tires (to winter ones) and sprayed a bit of GT85 on any moving parts of the drive train that I could get to without taking the bike apart.

But the noise still persists.

Any ideas what the cause might be? :confused:

Press fit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Interesting but Spokes shouldn't be that loose? They should be under such tension that they shouldn't creak at all. While oil might stop the creak, the wheel may need to be trued.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Replacement knee required?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

You haven't checked the headset........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

Try working your way through this list.

https://jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

Should have a sticky on this

2 that have wrecked my head are

- wheel skewer too tight.
    - very slightly loose bolt on the seatstay connection to the rear dropout

Was absolutely convinced both were bb before I found the source

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll start at the wheels and work my way up. Hopefully I won't have to replace the bike just yet!

If it’s there when not peddling it’s wheel. If it’s only there while pedalling it’s drive related

ted1 wrote: »
    If it’s there when not peddling it’s wheel. If it’s only there while pedalling it’s drive related

Only there when pedaling. Had a go at the wheels last night though - drop outs, spoke nipples & crossings. Going for a spin later and will report back but as you mentioned it is prob drive related.

There are asymmetric forces acting on the wheel when one pedals. It flex differently than while free wheeling...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would clarify - if it's there when not pedalling, it's not the drivetrain. if it's only there when pedalling, it's either the drivetrain or the wheel. or something else.
    all three times i have had issues with creaks, it only happened under load - and every time it was an issue with the wheel.
    one was the spoke nipple issue i mentioned, another time was fatigued spokes, and the third time was an issue with a particular model of aksium rear hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭hesker

if it's only there when pedalling, it's either the drivetrain or the wheel. or something else.

....or something else. LOL. So true

A guy I knew had an annoying click only when pedalling. Turned out to be his bike helmet

• Advertisement

hesker wrote: »
    ....or something else. LOL. So true

A guy I knew had an annoying click only when pedalling. Turned out to be his bike helmet

Veins in the forehead were coming out under stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Pedal hitting side strand (if you have one)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

sparrowcar wrote: »

Interesting. I have a creak too in my winter bike when pedaling hard. Headset is a little loose and was assuming it was that but I know I do have the stem bolts tight

well, your headset could be loose even if the stem bolts are too tight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

well, your headset could be loose even if the stem bolts are too tight?

Yes the star nut is gone as when I tighten the top bolt it lifts up. Need to do something but in meantime stem bolts tighter than usual

Only there when pedaling. Had a go at the wheels last night though - drop outs, spoke nipples & crossings. Going for a spin later and will report back but as you mentioned it is prob drive related.

I thought I had it sorted but alas no. As soon as I got off the noisy main road and onto a quite hill I had the click for company the whole way to the top. Seems like it is definitely associated with load as it’s not as noticeable on the flats.

Will have a go at the pedals and chainring bolts next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I thought I had it sorted but alas no. As soon as I got off the noisy main road and onto a quite hill I had the click for company the whole way to the top. Seems like the it is definitely associated with load as it’s not as noticeable on the flats.

I think I cleared a once per revolution click recently by regreasing my pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

I thought I had it sorted but alas no. As soon as I got off the noisy main road and onto a quite hill I had the click for company the whole way to the top. Seems like it is definitely associated with load as it’s not as noticeable on the flats.

Headset......

Ok, don’t think it’s the pedals.

Anybody know if you need special tools to tighten Shimano chainring bolts??

• Advertisement
Advertisement