Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did your husband/boyfriend give up alcohol when you were trying to conceive?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Reppohc wrote: »
    So I'm told.

Well...you can't claim you were too drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No. Didn't see the point as we had no fertility issues. If we'd been diagnosed with same we'd have reassessed.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd really like a link to the studies people are referencing here if they have them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We both reduced our drinking, ate better and exercised as best we could in the months leading up to it.
    We were both in our 30s so didn't want to have 'what if it's our lifesyles' if we had any problems.
    In our minds, it only felt right too, irregardless of studies and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

I have friends going through fertility treatment at the moment. Both of them have been told to cut out alcohol completely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Akrasia wrote: »
    Humans have been using alcohol as an aphrodisiac since before humans had anything remotely like the population explosion from the last 1k years.
    In that time we invented art, science, sport and basically everything else.

I think it’s safe to assume that alcohol doesn’t harm human reproductive capacity

hmm, don't be so sure.
    Just because humans did something for thousands of years doesn't make it ok or safe.

We've also used lead for cups, pipes and many other uses for a very long time. The Roman's knew lead was toxic and they still continued to use it anyway.

Despite human's knowing it was toxic as far back as the Roman's in the past few hundred years we continued to use lead for food tins, water pipes, paint, childrens toys and we even stuck it in petrol so we ended up with lead in the air!

It didn't for one second make it safe or ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I can confirm that neither of us ate led at least 6 months before conception.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Reppohc wrote: »
    I gave up alcohol and smoking six months before we conceived and stayed off until the child was born. Its a no brainier in my opinion and should be talked about.

Just to clarify something here.

You gave up smoking, for 15+ months, and then started smoking again, after your child was born?

Please do pontificate some more about habits affecting your "issue", I can't wait to hear what you have to say next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Neyite wrote: »
    I'd really like a link to the studies people are referencing here if they have them...

It's hard to put your hands back on something you've read. I've read hundreds of fertility related articles referencing studies as back up and I can't find the one I read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Neyite wrote: »

http://www.connections.edu.au/researchfocus/fathers-and-alcohol-implications-preconception-pregnancy-infant-and-childhood-health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

(didn't read the posts above yet, would do after I write this)
    My short answer to OP is ... himself drinks less than average, but I made sure the "trying for the baby" events were alcohol free (since I was reading something about it not being good).

- Then I can't remember if he was doing it at the time, but I do remember me wanting him to also quit smoking while we were trying to conceive.

Advertisement