Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor "reverts" to Islam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes she is and people choose to go see her

RTÉ are just trying to mock her......

Yeah. Ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

She still is a fantastic singer and she’ll hopefully always have that.

I don't think she's taken care of her voice.

Was telling that none of the notes in the higher register on 'Nothing Compares' were attempted last night & the vocal range required to do so isn't onerous or taxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

listermint wrote: »
    . I get that people hate rte but have a bit of cop.

People don’t hate RTÉ either, majority just think they waste a lot of money for a poor service

Money could be invested in better content

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Greentopia wrote: »
    Tore up a photo of the then pope live on air on US tv. Scuppered her career there for a long time.

It may have - remember, most Americans are not catholic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fritzbox wrote: »
    It may have - remember, most Americans are not catholic.
    No F, but they tend to be religious and mostly christian. It's a nation founded by religious types who were too OTT for Reformation Europe and respect for Gaaawwwd is strong and was stronger 25 years ago. That action on US national TV effectively smothered her career over there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    No F, but they tend to be religious and mostly christian. It's a nation founded by religious types who were too OTT for Reformation Europe and respect for Gaaawwwd is strong and was stronger 25 years ago. That action on US national TV effectively smothered her career over there.

That seems like a very broad-brush stereotype of 300 million people.

Tell me, did ripping up a picture of the pope ruin her career in "holy, catholic Ireland"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One that fits more than it doesn't. While there has been some decline in the last few decades, it's quite small and polls of Americans consistently show a higher attachment to religion compared to other western cultures and countries. It's also the country with the highest number of Christians in the world.
    Tell me, did ripping up a picture of the pope ruin her career in "holy, catholic Ireland"?
    You're either too young to remember or have the dates mixed up, because by 1992 "holy, catholic Ireland" was already dead, killed by the scandals that had been out in the public eye for years. Her generation had turned their backs on it and left it mostly to the elderly, weddings and kids being dragged to communion dolled up for the preening rights. Not unlike today. The audience that listened to her would not have been god botherers of old. If anything the stunt would have helped, though the "ah jaysus love, take it easy" factor would have been in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

smurfjed wrote: »
    In Islam, they believe that everyone is born a Muslim but some has chosen to follow a different path, so when that person finds Islam, they have actually reverted to their original religion rather than converted.

While that’s true, I think she meant it in a slightly different way in the interview. Her own words as quoted in the Irish Times:
    “The word ‘revert’ refers to the idea that if you were to study the Koran you would realise that you were a Muslim all your life and you didn’t realise it. That’s what happened to me,” she said on Friday night’s Late Late Show.

She seems to mean it in the sense of something that made instant sense to her, that she had believed her whole life but hadn’t put a name in it. Sounds like gross exaggeration to me, but I suppose she’s entitled to express it how she wants.

I think it’s generally accepted that her action did her no favours in the US. There was a massive public backlash against her that didn’t happen here.

Have a read of this:

https://diffuser.fm/sinead-o-connor-pope-snl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Yes she is and people choose to go see her

RTÉ are just trying to mock her......

RTE get some stick all the same.... on a different thread here it was written that they were responsible for the Swiss goal against Ireland the other day, simply because the commentator on the match said something just before they scored.

How could RTE be 'mocking' Sinead, when she is using the medium to promote herself, and her music.
    That is mostly what professional entertainers do... they promote themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'd sooner listen to her than her insufferable brother.

That's probably as close as I can get to complimenting a genuine nut job who treats religion as a fashion accessory.

She should have been sectioned years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

And the bit I said if she didn’t go in full outfit what the reaction would be?

You know 100% what the reaction would be.....

Then you might find this statement interesting...

"The laws are very clear and stipulated in the laws of Sharia [Islamic law]: that women wear decent, respectful clothing, like men," he told CBS TV.

"This, however, does not particularly specify a black abaya or black head cover. The decision is entirely left for women to decide what type of decent and respectful attire she chooses to wear."

Spoken by HRH MBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I think it’s generally accepted that her action did her no favours in the US. There was a massive public backlash against her that didn’t happen here.

Have a read of this:

Joe Pesci taped the photo back together and got huge applause the following week

Interesting story, I never heard this :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    One that fits more than it doesn't. While there has been some decline in the last few decades, it's quite small and polls of Americans consistently show a higher attachment to religion compared to other western cultures and countries. It's also the country with the highest number of Christians in the world.

You have no complete idea of the nature and extent of the religious beliefs of 300 million people in the USA. Frankly, I don't see what all this talk of religiosity has to do with music sales - never stopped a lot of heavy metal artists from having a successful career despite accusations of satanism or whatever - perhaps we should play SOC's "Red football" backwards see what we can hear...
    You're either too young to remember or have the dates mixed up, because by 1992 "holy, catholic Ireland" was already dead, killed by the scandals that had been out in the public eye for years.

Ireland in 1992 was still pretty "holy and catholic". When did they legalise divorce and abortion in Ireland compared to say, the USA?

Have a read of this:

Sure, probably did her career in the States no favours, but we have no idea as to what extent. The album she released in 1992 wasn't so successful "Am I Not Your Girl?" only one or two tracks in it I really liked. The album she released in 1994 was good - it was for particular tastes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think it's fairly well known that she has her demons Kermit, probably best not to look for logic.

John Waters.

Sure, probably did her career in the States no favours, but we have no idea as to what extent. The album she released in 1992 wasn't so successful "Am I Not Your Girl?" only one or two tracks in it I really liked. The album she released in 1994 was good - it was for particular tastes though.

Ok, you seem to be arguing as to what degree it affected her career. The fallout from the event is well documented. I’m not really sure why this is a hobby-hose of yours, but I wish you well.

You have no complete idea of the nature and extent of the religious beliefs of 300 million people in the USA. Frankly, I don't see what all this talk of religiosity has to do with music sales - never stopped a lot of heavy metal artists from having a successful career despite accusations of satanism or whatever
    Different audience, less mainstream, she was being aimed at the latter. Not too many satan is god heavy metal types grace the stage of SNL.

Ireland in 1992 was still pretty "holy and catholic". When did they legalise divorce and abortion in Ireland compared to say, the USA?
    Nope it wasn't. QV your example of divorce. In the mid 80's it was defeated at referendum, by the mid 90's it was passed. Contraception another example. Banned in 79, by the mid 80's it was allowed and fully out in the open by 92. The difference in attitude and the church's power was massive between the points of the pope's visit in 1979 and 1992. Save for some pockets of rural and some older generation holdouts the churches power and influence was effectively wiped out by the coming of the 90's
    Ok, you seem to be arguing as to what degree it affected her career. The fallout from the event is well documented. I’m not really sure why this is a hobby-hose of yours, but I wish you well.
    A bit odd alright. :confused: As you said it's very well documented.

Ok, you seem to be arguing as to what degree it affected her career.

I am. What's wrong with that?
    The fallout from the event is well documented.

I don't deny that.
    I’m not really sure why this is a hobby-hose of yours, but I wish you well.

It is a thread about Sinead O'Connor, why wouldn't I, like the other posters on this thread, have a passing interest in the woman at least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I just hope she doesn't go and rip up a photo of the Ayatollah on TV now, poor life expectancy for those who insult Islam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Her I’m not bossy I’m the boss album was one of the best albums of the last few years as far as I’m concerned.
    I’m looking forward to the next one

“Throw down your arms” is an excellent album. Authentic reggae, but unmistakably her voice (and I don’t mean that just in the vocal accent sense, but the general feel).

I guess some people need to search further and wider than others before they decide who they are. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I get the feeling this isn’t the end of that journey for her.

I’ve no problem with The LLS having her on to talk, but I do think that the media in general give too much exposure to some of her outbursts and breakdowns. Sometimes she’s clearly not well, and having that played out in public (yeah, I know she launches some of it herself on her website/social media, but it could stop there and blow over) isn’t doing anyone any good.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 The Kang

A white woman converting to Islam? That's the last stop on the insanity train before arriving at total madness.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 The Kang

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Islam gives woman more rights.

Mohammad was a feminist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only problem I have with her converting is that they call it "reverting".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

biko wrote: »
    The only problem I have with her converting is that they call it "reverting".

Cash reverters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

BDI wrote: »
    Cash reverters

I think the clue to her conversion is in the OP.
    She's returning to touring.
    Nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Obviously Islam is working for her, she seems happy since going to it. Watched her sing on the Late Late show, she did amazing and I was proud of her. Most of her shows have sold out already, so well done to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I don't think she's taken care of her voice.

Was telling that none of the notes in the higher register on 'Nothing Compares' were attempted last night & the vocal range required to do so isn't onerous or taxing.

I'd have to agree. Her voice is shot. Wasn't good last night. Was watching an old video on YouTube of her last night singing Don't Cry for me Argentina. Was stunning. Probably the best version of the song I've heard. Look it up if you want to hear how much she has disimproved since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I really don't care what religion she converts to. She was born with a tremendous talent but as often happens with creative people, has struggled with her mental health.

The 'madness' of creative people is in some ways a stereotype but it's there for a reason. I think it's a shame that so many people here in this thread and on other social media are so narrow minded that they can't see that the same depth of feeling they possess, that creates those mental issues, is also responsible for their ability to create the amazing art, music and writing that makes life infinitely more bearable.

Why should she be ridiculed more than the likes of Shane McGowan who looks like death Phil Lynott, Roy Gallagher, Brendan Behan who all killed themselves with drink or drugs?

Sinead has had drug and alcohol issues as well but again, that's par for the course and she didn't die from it. In addition to that she has also always been searching for spiritual answers and taken that search seriously. Why is that so awful? I don't see how it is.

And I wonder does she really deserve to be denigrated for it by a nation of lapsed Catholics who are mostly totally disillusioned with their own religion due to it being a massively abusive institution?

Leave her to it. She's a national treasure who happens to want to be called Shuhada now and wear a bit more clothing than most other women, big deal. She looked and sounded in great form and I thought it was great to see. Her voice is definitely not 'shot' that's ridiculous, seen a lot younger singers whose live work was a lot worse than that. It's not gonna sound exactly like the recorded version of 30 years ago. I enjoyed Rainy Night in Soho too.

Advertisement