Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor "reverts" to Islam

Options
  • 07-09-2019 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭

Sinéad O’Connor: ‘I have been a Muslim all my life and I didn’t realise it’

The singer has described her experience of ‘reverting’ to Islam
    Sinéad O’Connor has described how she felt “at home” after reading the Koran and subsequently embracing the Muslim religion.

The singer, who has returned following a five-year hiatus from touring, announced her decision to “revert” to Islam almost a year ago and says she often wears the hijab as a means of signalling her new-found beliefs.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sin%C3%A9ad-o-connor-i-have-been-a-muslim-all-my-life-and-i-didn-t-realise-it-1.4010482

I thought she was a priest in the former life?? :confused:

I'm a little confused at the weird triangle of logic employed here. Perhaps a boardsie could help me with this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think it's fairly well known that she has her demons Kermit, probably best not to look for logic.

As long as she's happy and she's not hurting herself or anyone else then it really doesn't matter what she believes. Not a fan of any organised religion but if following Islam brings her the peace of mind that she's been missing for so long then it's still a preferable path to the one she would otherwise end up going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sin%C3%A9ad-o-connor-i-have-been-a-muslim-all-my-life-and-i-didn-t-realise-it-1.4010482

I thought she was a priest in the former life?? :confused:

I'm a little confused at the weird triangle of logic employed here. Perhaps a boardsie could help me with this one.

You're confused about something Sinead has done? Really? Leave the woman alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RTÉ milking that poor woman for all she's worth. They need to stop facilitating her mental illness by giving it airtime.

I mean that, genuinely, in the best possible way. Genuinely feel like constantly putting her on the air is not intended to give her a platform for her views but merely they see it as easy entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

sdanseo wrote: »
    RTÉ milking that poor woman for all she's worth. They need to stop facilitating her mental illness by giving it airtime.

I mean that, genuinely, in the best possible way. Genuinely feel like constantly putting her on the air is not intended to give her a platform for her views but merely they see it as easy entertainment.

The poor woman is ripe for exploitation, and they want to increase the licence fee for this type of homegrown "entertainment".

I'm getting as bad as Emmet et al for the aul quotation marks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Is she the one that made fun of Catholics or something years ago!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Priest, Rastafari...Islam is but the latest. I'd give it another two years.

She's bipolar and on the more serious end it would seem and hasn't always made the wisest, most rational decisions so let's show some kindness and compassion.

I rather like her in spite of everything and hope it grants her some peace. She was on the LLS earlier and seemed in good spirits which was nice to see.

And despite everything she's been though still has more genuine talent and was more entertaining than those horrendous vacuous, brainless, orange narcissistic flesh bags from Love Island RTE had the cheek to have on as first guests of the season. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Tore up a photo of the then pope live on air on US tv. Scuppered her career there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's sad that she has her troubles but I just refuse to stop enjoying her stuff from the 90s.

My personal favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbre5Fs9m8I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5gqwIOQJs

Music like that just isn't. made. any. more.
    And I'm 31 I was barely born. There are people who were brought up on this stuff who must feel even more powerfully for it than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If she wants to go from one phony baloney religion to another phony baloney religion, let her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,016 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's sad that she has her troubles but I just refuse to stop enjoying her stuff from the 90s.

My personal favourites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbre5Fs9m8I
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu5gqwIOQJs

Music like that just isn't. made. any. more.
    And I'm 31 I was barely born. There are people who were brought up on this stuff who must feel even more powerfully for it than me.

Her first two albums were incredible. You could tell by the rage and anger in the first album that she had been through so much at an early age.

She was very talented and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poor restless lady.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sinead has had her demons and her troubles, but who has led a completely perfect life? I know I’ve been to hell and back with crippling anxiety and alcoholism.

If a religious following makes her happy, then who are we to judge?

And her tearing up a photograph of the Pope on MTV back in 1992 was actually very prophetic, given what we now know about the church and its wicked actions to the most vulnerable in society.

Sinead’s music and voice are truly unique talents. I have three of her albums from the 1990s on CD and still listen to them regularly. Her album Universal Mother from 1994 is IMO her masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The question should be asked why those gobs**t in RTÉ think it’s ok to drag her on tv to try and mock her.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I hope that she finds the peace that she is seeking in Islam, but I am perplexed that she was photographed arriving in Dublin wearing modest attire, but decided to wear a full abaya for TV. She could have easily taken this opportunity to show the modern version of Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Yup, that's the one. Bald chap, tore up a picture of the pope.

Yup, that's the one. Bald chap, tore up a picture of the pope.

Ripping up photo of Pope is hardly making fun of catholic’s?

It was against the cover up of child abuse....

smurfjed wrote: »
    I hope that she finds the peace that she is seeking in Islam, but I am perplexed that she was photographed arriving in Dublin wearing modest attire, but decided to wear a full abaya for TV. She could have easily taken this opportunity to show the modern version of Islam.

Modern Islam? Your having a laugh....when did that come around?

If she didn’t wear the full attire you would have every clown out today saying she insulted Islam etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Erm. She's back gigging. She's actually playing a large festival soon.

Just so we're clear. This isn't RTE exploiting her. Perhaps she's found some of herself again.

October 24th wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think she meant converts

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Erm. She's back gigging. She's actually playing a large festival soon.

Just so we're clear. This isn't RTE exploiting her. Perhaps she's found some of herself again.

October 24th wexford

RTÉ know exactly what they are doing.....blatant attempt at sticking her on tv and saying “look st this clown”

You could say you expect better, but in reality I don’t at this stage

Similar to throwing a group of travellers on and then having no idea how to control them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ripping up photo of Pope is hardly making fun of catholic’s?

It was against the cover up of child abuse....

And she was right. Twenty years before most of the rest of us copped on to what they were at with their cover-ups and enabling of abusers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

RTÉ know exactly what they are doing.....blatant attempt at sticking her on tv and saying “look st this clown”

Similar to throwing a group of travellers on and then having no idea how to control them

‘Look at this clown’ is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,656 ✭✭✭✭listermint

She's back gigging now.

Do you want her to promote herself from behind a wall or something. I get that people hate rte but have a bit of cop.

Modern Islam? Your having a laugh....when did that come around?

Look around you and you will see that Islam is developing and changing. Even saudi arabia has stated that the abaya is no longer "required".

branie2 wrote: »
    I think she meant converts
    In Islam, they believe that everyone is born a Muslim but some has chosen to follow a different path, so when that person finds Islam, they have actually reverted to their original religion rather than converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I watched her on the LLS last night and for once she seemed happy and content so what ever works for her.

She still is a fantastic singer and she’ll hopefully always have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

In Islam, they believe that everyone is born a Muslim but some has chosen to follow a different path, so when that person finds Islam, they have actually reverted to their original religion rather than converted.

Thanks for that info

Look around you and you will see that Islam is developing and changing. Even saudi arabia has stated that the abaya is no longer "required".

And the bit I said if she didn’t go in full outfit what the reaction would be?

You know 100% what the reaction would be.....

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    She's back gigging now.

Do you want her to promote herself from behind a wall or something. I get that people hate rte but have a bit of cop.

Yes she is and people choose to go see her

RTÉ are just trying to mock her......

Advertisement