Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Dog is it for you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

auspicious wrote: »
    There's laws against that.Though not if it's a pig.
    Cognitive dissonance anyone?

Not that old hoary chestnut again? It's been done to death already and shown to be nothing but platitudes.

But just to reiterate let me ask you a question - do people eat 'rat' for example in this country No? Why is that? One of the main reasons because it's ****e meat - the same as dog. Even in the countries where dog is eaten it is unregulated and a backyard / black market trade. It's been banned in the Philippines and Hong Kong for health reasons such as Rabbies and Sars etc. 

Tbh the only ones pushing the cognitive dissonance angle seem to those who themselves exhibit the symptoms of same. I would also like to know why vegans don't eat all vegetable matter? Cacti, Grass , Trees? Surely with a bit of seasoning it would all taste the same no?

Here was one of the last forays into that lack of logic ...

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057881174/1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There's laws against that.
    Though not if it's a pig.
    Cognitive dissonance anyone?

Like they always obey the law. Don't insult people's intelligence and use the excuse of Peta obeying the law as a reason for fake dog.

As for cognitive dissonance, people put down their dogs all the time and they are not prosecuted for it. But you can't force people to eat things they don't want to. Is that what you want? To force people to eat what you want them to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

meeeeh wrote: »
    Like they always obey the law. Don't insult people's intelligence and use the excuse of Peta obeying the law as a reason for fake dog.

As for cognitive dissonance, people put down their dogs all the time and they are not prosecuted for it. But you can't force people to eat things they don't want to. Is that what you want? To force people to eat what you want them to eat?

You have a poor understanding of the arguments.
    A pet is euthanised out of care and respect for the animal. It is done to benefit the animal.
    I do not want farmed animals to be exploited and forced to suffer undeserving unnecessary deaths.
    I get all the nutrients, protein included, that I need from plants and I've never enjoyed my food more.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not that old hoary chestnut again? It's been done to death already and shown to be nothing but platitudes.

Tbh

It's a well understood psychological concept (tbh) and very pertinent to the subject matter (tbh) tbh.

tbh
    tbh

I being honest by the way tbh.

You have a poor understanding of the arguments.A pet is euthanised out of care and respect for the animal. It is done to benefit the animal.
    I do not want farmed animals to be exploited and forced to suffer undeserving unnecessary deaths. I get all the nutrients, protein included, that I need from plants and I've never enjoyed my food more.

I dont believe he has. No one us forcing you to eat meat etc

Farm animals are not 'exploited'. They are cared for, fed and their health looked after to produce food for humans. They are cared for not only because it the expeditious thing to do because it is the right thing to do. In this country they are slaughtered in a humane and in a controlled environment which is heavily inspected and regulated. If there are exceptions to this - then that needs to be corrected and not held as cudgel to best everyone else with.

I understand you do not want animals farmed - but the facts are that the equivalent animals in the wild do not have anything of a similar quality of health or care and their death whilst natural is often fairly brutish and painful. That is simlly how it is.

• Advertisement

Tbh
    It's a well understood psychological concept (tbh) and very pertinent to the subject matter (tbh) tbh.tbh tbh I being honest by the way tbh.

Considering my reasoned comment - that response comes across as a bit bitchy no? There was one 'tbh' in my comment and you try to take the piss by repeating it without reason in yours lol. Indeed you are funny. If my use of that phrase really offends you - please report me to the grammar police. Otherwise get out.

And No it is not a "well understood psychological concept" when used with the daft 'dog thou' argument

It's a term misappropriated by a small number of plant food advocates who regurgitate the same old tired platitudes which they have came across on mainly vegan websites etc

The fact is that unless the same plant food advocates themselves - eat all types of vegetation without exception then it is a non sequitur.

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Probably the first stunt I've seen PETA pull that I admire.

I know it's hip to look down on vegans these days, but if you're too squeamish to look at a fake dog being barbecued then you have no business eating meat, and I include children in that. Ignorance may be bliss, but hiding the truth from yourself is weak af.

I agree. You'll notice meat eaters never will watch any of the programs peta or other organizations put out that show what the reality of animals being raised and killed for meat is.

I live in a rural town and the other day I walked by a van full of chickens in cages. Well they were more like tiny crates. Stacked on top of eachother, with a little hole just wide enough to stick their head out. they all looked very stressed and the smell was rank. the whole scene just gave me a horrible feeling. totally different to the clinical, neatly presented products we buy in the shops.

and that wasnt even the worst part of the process.

Considering my reasoned comment- that response comes across as a bit bitchy no? There was one 'tbh' in my comment and you try to take the piss by putting 3 in yours lol. Indeed you are funny.

And No it is not a "well understood psychological concept".

It's a rather stupid makey uppy BS argument used by a small number of plant food advocates who regurgitate the same old tired platitudes which they have came across on mainly vegan websites etc

The fact is that unless the same plant food advocates themselves - eat all types of vegetation without exception then is a non sequitur.

I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that.

Tired platitudes? Lol. Were you not recently supporting the idiotic BS idea that plants have feelings? You just get better and better.
    Like pruning your shrubs is the same as plunging a knife in to a traumatised animal's neck.

Eat all types of vegetation...... What??!!! As I said you keep getting better and better. You've brightened up day. My sides are actually hurting.
    tbh

I dont believe he has. No one us forcing you to eat meat or is slapping the veggie burger out of your hands.

Farm animals are not 'exploited'. .....

.....I understand you do not want animals farmed - but the facts are that the equivalent animals in the wild do not have anything of a similar quality of health or care and their death whilst natural is often fairly brutish and painful. That is simlly how it is.

Not exploited? Oh dear. That sir is cognitive dissonance.

So you propose farming all wildlife so you can NOT exploit them and give them healthcare.
    Ermmm not sure how to respond to that tbh.

Tired platitudes? Lol. Were you not recently supporting the idiotic BS idea that plants have feelings? You just get better and better.
    Like pruning your shrubs is the same as plunging a knife in to a traumatised animal's neck.Eat all types of vegetation...... What??!!! As I said you keep getting better and better. You've brightened up day. My sides are actually hurting.
    tbh

Indeed tired platitudes. 'Cognitive dissonance' being the one under discussion atm.

Nope. Incorrect. I did not claim "plants have feelings". I showed that there is a significant body of recognised research which has proven that plants are indeed 'sentient'. Do you understand that?

Not to digress and back to the topic in hand - tell me by what reasoning do you not eat all types of vegetation and only choose to eat selected ones? Does that sound similar to you?

Btw the tone of your comments are increasingly petulant and off the wall. If you wish to go down that drain pipe - then be my guest - I wont be joining you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You have a poor understanding of the arguments.
    A pet is euthanised out of care and respect for the animal. It is done to benefit the animal.

Or for the benefit of new carpet or sofa. You can euthanise an animal for whatever reason you want. I'm pretty sure Fluffy won't care afterwards if it ends on the bbq or not.

As for your diet, I never asked you what you eat so I don't know why you feel the need explaining your dietary preferences. It's not up to me to approve or disprove them.

. If you wish to go down that drain pipe - then be my guest - I wont be joining you.

Is that all it took? Ffs I should have done it sooner. I'll pass the word around all boards.ie topics so everyone knows what to do.
    Slan leat.

Not exploited? Oh dear. That sir is cognitive dissonance. So you propose farming all wildlife so you can NOT exploit them and give them healthcare.
    Ermmm not sure how to respond to that tbh.

?????....

Jumping straight over the wall of logic again? Clearly humans have adapted a range of animals (and plants) which were once wild for the purposes of farming in order to produce food. We no longer need to hunt animals with spears or drive them over cliffs. The same way we do not have to forage for our fruit and vegetables.

It's called farming and means the animals and crops under our care are tended and looked after in order to provide food for humans but also because as in the case of animals looking after them well is the right thing to do. It's a pity that some don't seem to understand that concept.

You also failed to answer the one question I asked of you viz.

By what reasoning do you not eat all types of vegetation and only choose to eat selected ones? 

Finally you seriously need to have a look at your comments. One thing for sure you're not doing those v*gan arguments any favours.

Take a read of this - I find it's a great guide for constructive posting- but maybe that's just me...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq

Jumping straight over the wall of logic again?

Nope. Just reading between the lines.
    I haven't read the rest of your post as you are a person who always has to have the last word and that says a lot.
    I'll let you have it from now on

Nope. Just reading between the lines.I haven't read the rest of your post as you are a person who always has to have the last word and that says a lot.I'll let you have it from now on

It's a discussion. It's certainly not about being first or last or whatever. I asked a simple question but for some reason that was ignored and instead go on about 'tbh' and make personal remarks as above. If you want attack my argument - I have no issue at all with that. I leave it with you if want to reply. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I agree. You'll notice meat eaters never will watch any of the programs peta or other organizations put out that show what the reality of animals being raised and killed for meat is.

I live in a rural town and the other day I walked by a van full of chickens in cages. Well they were more like tiny crates. Stacked on top of eachother, with a little hole just wide enough to stick their head out. they all looked very stressed and the smell was rank. the whole scene just gave me a horrible feeling. totally different to the clinical, neatly presented products we buy in the shops.

and that wasnt even the worst part of the process.

I am well aware of where my meat comes from. I have no problems watching clips of how they are slaughtered either. The vast majority of rural people are fully aware of how their food ends up on their plate.

I've eaten flame grilled dog.

Honestly? It was delicious

I am well aware of where my meat comes from. I have no problems watching clips of how they are slaughtered either. The vast majority of rural people are fully aware of how their food ends up on their plate.

I know damn well where some of my meat comes from. Right down the sights.

Advertisement