Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything be done about "favouritism" in the workplace ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This isn't the advice you want, but you should develop your personal and political skills so you are always amongst the group of people management like and trust.

There is nothing worse than bitter negative complainers in the office. Their careers go nowhere.

Try to learn from the person who is loved and try to emulate what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    This isn't the advice you want, but you should develop your personal and political skills so you are always amongst the group of people management like and trust.

There is nothing worse than bitter negative complainers in the office. Their careers go nowhere.

Try to learn from the person who is loved and try to emulate what they're doing.

What? No, leave for a company that is more merit based. The post in quoting is relatively important but company focus shouldn't be political mainly. Just go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What? No, leave for a company that is more merit based. The post in quoting is relatively important but company focus shouldn't be political mainly. Just go somewhere else.
    In an ideal world yes, but people don't work like that.

In an office you generally have 3 types of people. Those that dont give a sh1t and are happy to toddle along at their current level, those that aspire to move up the career chain and are good at people skills/self promotion, and the begrudgers/woe is me type who complain about everything.

The only ones that get promoted are the middle kind. OP - be like them, not the serial complainer, and you'll find things get better for you

Or move to another company abnd the cycle begins again

Good luck finding companies like that.

Managers are human, and humans have their favourites.

Even if we follow your logic, are you going to keep switching jobs every few months until you find one of these rare places you're looking for? What if the robotic-no-favorites management team changes and is replaced by one or some people who have favourites? You will quit your job and go job hunting again?

I think it makes much more sense to just learn how to be political. I'm super political and it has made my life much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you think everyone in every or indeed ANY workplace are equal then your seriously out of touch. Particularly in American Multinationals there is a game to be played, you either play the game or your a pawn in someone else’s game.

I’ve done this when it suited me, not relevant to me in my current role although for those below me guys who make my life easy have an easy time in return. The only dickhead I came across was managed out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I agree. A company that promotes based on ability to brown nose over performance is one that poorly manages its human resources. I accept that we are social animals and some degree of politicking is inevitable. But when politicking becomes the job, over the job itself, you end up with a toxic corporate culture that is detrimental to the company's interests and leaves it vulnerable to competitors that didn't go down the same road (and often can strip some of your best staff as a result).

Good management know this and take steps to avoid their company turning into a nest of brown nosing, back stabbing yes men that drives away talent.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    A company that promotes based on ability to brown nose over performance is one that poorly manages its human resources.

That's not what office politics is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    That's not what office politics is.
    Cultures do vary from workplace to workplace.

In some places, "brown-nosing", playing golf with the senior management, joining them for drinks after work and expensive lunches, will get you promoted regardless of ability.

In others, playing games works. Stabbing people in the back, networking, making contacts, taking credit for others' work, undermining other employees, jostling for position.

In others, hard work matters. Making an impact, improving processes, making money, saving money, putting in too many hours, gets you promoted.

In some large companies, the culture can vary from department to department. So one department head likes the guys who suck up to him. Another rewards the guys who deliver results and hates suck-ups. Another revels in office life as a game of thrones and likes people who "stir things up".

Ultimately that's the essence of office politics - knowing how, when and to whom you conduct yourself. Even if your aim in life is to come in, work and go home with minimal stress, you have to learn to play a certain amount of politics to make that happen. It's not all about getting yourself promoted.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

YourWann wrote: »

Can SIPTU be brought in for a case of "equality"
    Are you a SIPTU member?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do we know that the op’s colleague’s work didn’t merit the advancement he/she received?

I haven’t read anything in the ops posts that suggests he/she merits advancement more than his/her colleague. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

- This person was two and a half hours late to work, hours weren't deducted.
    - We are on the exact same contract employed to do the same job yet they are upstairs sitting with management doing their job for them.

- Gets to attend all the events we have in our company while I'm not allowed.
    - I'm nearly sure this person is on more money than me but that cant be confirmed so doesn't really count.
    - Has very handy hours, leaves work at 15:30 while I have to stay until 18:00.
    - Gets flown abroad to attend meetings they are not qualified for (I am)
    - and many, many more

you sound petty. you're an adult, represent and negotiate on your own behalf. stop looking for excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

The core of the problem here is nothing to do with the other person. It's the fact that you're being asked to do the work of two people.

Forget about who gets paid what, who hangs out where, who drinks coffee with who. It's none of your business, and whinging about favouritism sounds like school yard stuff.

Stick to the facts. The job you're doing is designated a two-person job, and you're trying to cover it on your own. If they want the second person doing something else, that's grand, but then they should replace them.

That's the tack to take with management. Don't mention the other person, other than that "as Mary Kate is primarily working on other stuff, I need a second person to help with the existing tasks". Are you having to stay until 6pm to complete the work? What are your contracted hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

- This person was two and a half hours late to work, hours weren't deducted. Do you process their time sheets?
    - We are on the exact same contract employed to do the same job yet they are upstairs sitting with management doing their job for them.how do you know?
    -

- Gets to attend all the events we have in our company while I'm not allowed.and?
    - I'm nearly sure this person is on more money than me but that cant be confirmed so doesn't really count. So they're better at negotiations. Maybe they've got it built into their contract.
    - Has very handy hours, leaves work at 15:30 while I have to stay until 18:00. again, maybe they negotiated this in their contract
    - Gets flown abroad to attend meetings they are not qualified for (I am) Sounds like they represent the company better.
    -
    - and many, many more

That's not equality, or inequality. They play the corporate game better.

Advertisement