Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything be done about "favouritism" in the workplace ?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

As the title states, can anything be done about "favouritism" in the workplace or am I just wasting my time ?
    We have a severe case of favouritism in our company with one particular employee who keeps getting special treatment from management.
    Myself and 4 other people have made a complaint to the manager about this person and he was having none of it, he basically called each of us liars and that this person is the best thing since sliced bread so we cant say anything bad about them.

Can SIPTU be brought in for a case of "equality"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What is the special treatment? Is it affecting how you fulfil your role? Is the favourite fulfilling theres?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭jackboy

YourWann wrote: »
    As the title states, can anything be done about "favouritism" in the workplace or am I just wasting my time ?
    We have a severe case of favouritism in our company with one particular employee who keeps getting special treatment from management.
    Myself and 4 other people have made a complaint to the manager about this person and he was having none of it, he basically called each of us liars and that this person is the best thing since sliced bread so we cant say anything bad about them.
    Are you surprised? You complaining about that person in that way is essentially a complaint against the manager that you were complaining to. Not surprised he scattered ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 YourWann

GBX wrote: »
    What is the special treatment? Is it affecting how you fulfil your role? Is the favourite fulfilling theres?

- This person was two and a half hours late to work, hours weren't deducted.
    - We are on the exact same contract employed to do the same job yet they are upstairs sitting with management doing their job for them.

- Gets to attend all the events we have in our company while I'm not allowed.
    - I'm nearly sure this person is on more money than me but that cant be confirmed so doesn't really count.
    - Has very handy hours, leaves work at 15:30 while I have to stay until 18:00.
    - Gets flown abroad to attend meetings they are not qualified for (I am)
    - and many, many more

jackboy wrote: »
    Are you surprised? You complaining about that person in that way is essentially a complaint against the manager that you were complaining to. Not surprised he scattered ye.

If I was a manager and 5 of my staff complained to me about another staff member. I wouldn't ignore it. 5 of us cant be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Concerning the hours being deducted, has there been a case where your hours have been deducted in a similar circumstance?

Concerning differences in salary and working hours etc, this can actually be more common that you think. We have team members who play the same role, but have different conditions / perks. It really comes down to what you negotiate at the time of joining.

You say you are on the same contract, but unless you have seen the other contract, how can you know that?

What was the exact nature of the complaint that you made? Is this other staff member preventing you from doing your job effectively etc.?

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    Concerning the hours being deducted, has there been a case where your hours have been deducted in a similar circumstance?

Concerning differences in salary and working hours etc, this can actually be more common that you think. We have team members who play the same role, but have different conditions / perks. It really comes down to what you negotiate at the time of joining.

You say you are on the same contract, but unless you have seen the other contract, how can you know that?

What was the exact nature of the complaint that you made? Is this other staff member preventing you from doing your job effectively etc.?

- Not deducted but I was 30 minutes late one day and was made stay the extra 30 at the end of the day, which was fair enough.
    - I know were on the same contract because the supervisor said "Were contracted for two *** even though one of them is upstairs" so that was confirmation were on the same contract for the same job.
    - Because I'm on my own and that person is upstairs, yes, it is stopping me from doing my job effectively because the work is suppose to be split between two people and I'm doing it all and struggling while the other is upstairs doing different work altogether (managements work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

YourWann wrote:

IMO I think you are just wasting your time in fairness. It's a sickener I know, you could be the worlds laziest worker but all it takes is the right person to like you and your all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

- I know were on the same contract because the supervisor said "Were contracted for two *** even though one of them is upstairs" so that was confirmation were on the same contract for the same job.
    - Because I'm on my own and that person is upstairs, yes, it is stopping me from doing my job effectively because the work is suppose to be split between two people and I'm doing it all and struggling while the other is upstairs doing different work altogether (managements work)

Well, that in itself does no necessarily mean that the terms written into the two contracts are the same. E.g. two people can be hired into the exact same role, with the same job description, etc., but end up with different salary, holidays, working hours, etc. This can be quite common.

It sounds to me like they took a shine to this other person, for whatever reason, and hence they have progressed. There is nothing in itself wrong with that. That said though it is certainly not fair that you are now expected to do the work of two people. How does your supervisor react when you argue this? Surely if they are any way reasonable they will see this as well.

Nothing can be done unless you have a recognised union in the workplace and you’re a due paying lemming, all held back with the same contracts, job grades, pay-scales and whatnot. Even then you have no guarantees of anything more than the job you have for the pay it attracts.

What they’re up to, whatever their pay, contracts and other arrangements are with management is their business, not yours.

The person you’re complaining about is quite likely on their way to a different role from what you say, so just get on with doing your own job.

Making noises and complaining because you see something as unfair is not going to help either.

And as for 5 of you can’t be wrong? You certainly can, along with being bitter and feeling entitled to more, just because someone else is getting it.

Seriously, grow up. Put the work in without the complaints and if you don’t get what you think you deserve, go somewhere else if they’ll do better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

What’s the reason for this favouritism? Friendly with manager, related to someone in a senior position, sex, age...?
    Has it always been like this or more recent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's not really an equality matter unless the 5 of you disadvantaged fall into one of the discrimination criteria (sex, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, family status, civil status, disability, traveller) and the advantaged worker does not.

I hate when people on these threads say start looking for a new job as a solution to any problem, no matter how many other solutions are available, but in this case you may consider it. What you've described sounds like poor management and the person may be getting groomed to be your future boss, at which point they'll probably know about your complaint and treat you all accordingly. It's worth asking if you can see the future you want in a place like that. Of course there may be other redress within the company like HR but only you'd know if it's a feasible avenue in your company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Why are you doing all the work? You should be raising the resourcing issue with your supervisor and letting him/her worry about how it is all done. You should just be doing your work, whatever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sounds like the other person networks better and has made themselves seem more important to your manager. Some people have a talent for this, and it is often beneficial for getting promotions. Salaries are a matter for negotiation, maybe your colleague negotiated a better wage, if he/she has moved ahead of you in terms of importance, then it’s possible, even probable that he/she requested and got a wage increase.

To me, this looks like your colleague’s career advancement is ahead of yours, maybe he/she is better at the job, or maybe he/she just plays the game better than you do. That’s not a criticism of you, we all see and know people who just exude confidence and charm, who say the right thing at the right time, and just seem destined to rise in the job.

He/she may well be favoured, but it may be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Can SIPTU be brought in for a case of "equality"

In my experience the reason management are giving this employee special treatment as you say is because the employee is probably feeding them information , running back with any issues from the floor sort of speak. Telling them all and sundry, this type of employee in my opinion I would not trust or reveal too much info too. Said employee probably does Overtime at short notice also for management, possibly a Jobs Worth type.

I have seen this in various workplaces in the private sector and Public sector where I have worked over the past 30 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

kravmaga wrote: »
    In my experience the reason management are giving this employee special treatment as you say is because the employee is probably feeding them information , running back with any issues from the floor sort of speak. Telling them all and sundry, this type of employee in my opinion I would not trust or reveal too much info too. Said employee probably does Overtime at short notice also for management, possibly a Jobs Worth type.

I have seen this in various workplaces in the private sector and Public sector where I have worked over the past 30 yrs.

Or, he/she could be really good at their job, and is on a faster career advancement path. Why must the employee be doing something wrong? The op hasn’t said anything about him/her being bad, or indeed speaking out about other employees. In fact, sounds like he/she wouldn’t know much about the op.

It’s not uncommon for managers to have favourites and to identify those for promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Dav010 wrote: »
    Or, he/she could be really good at their job, and is on a faster career advancement path. Why must the employee be doing something wrong? The op hasn’t said anything about him/her being bad, or indeed speaking out about other employees. In fact, sounds like he/she wouldn’t know much about the op.

It’s not uncommon for managers to have favourites and to identify those for promotions.

Well thats my opinion and my experience on what I have seen and observed since being in the workforce from 1987, its true that the employee plays a good game and exudes charm and confidence also maybe.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Nothing you have said sounds like favouritism. But it does sound like you have a massive case of the green-eyed monster.

People can be on more money and better hours if that’s what they negotiated at hiring stage.

It’s a managers job to decide what duties go to what staff. Having the same job title doesn’t mean you do the same work. Project manager is the perfect example of this.

You having too much work is your managers problem, not this staff members.

Sometimes in life, people get lucky and get the cushy numbers, that’s just the way it is.

If this person left tomorrow, would you still feel aggrieved? Like you are being mistreated? If the answer is no, then you are merely jealous of this person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If they are doing manager level work/supporting the managers could you do the same ?
    I find those that get ahead don't wait to be asked but take on more responsibility voluntarily and that gives them visibility and reputation within the job.

Either way its not illegal to think one colleague is better at the job and more likely to be promoted and start letting them have some of the perks in advance .

It sounds like this person could be your boss soon so I would be careful of kicking up too much of a stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

If I was a manager and 5 of my staff complained to me about another staff member. I wouldn't ignore it. 5 of us cant be wrong.

11 people in my job complained about a manager and one person was branded the ring leader and the rest of us trouble makers & we were just told to forget about it and get on with our jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I'd lose the chip off your shoulder if I were you, it won't do you any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Posting this at 11.08 on a work day doesn't really strengthen your case of being the model employee!

You are jumping to so many conclusions about this other employee.

If you are unhappy with your job then leave. The market has never been as good in Ireland

not exclusively, but most of the time, when i see a gang claiming favouritism i might observe privately that they might be better off considering how and why other people might be preferable to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My business partner's daughter works here. Let's call her Princess. Not much younger than me and does eff all.

She is an only child and basically Daddy is such a pussy he is afraid of her. I told him in no uncertain terms that she pulls the piss and not her weight.

- Barely here. Always some BS excuse with the kids
    - Officially starts at 9 but saunters in and God only what time she feels like it. Does nothing for first hour- she goes upstairs gossiping
    - Leaves at 1pm and this is 3 days a week. She is part time.
    - Daddy does not see anything wrong with it or just refuses to tackle the issue
    - When he did speak to her 2 years ago about it at my behest, she threw a monster tantrum, starting screaming and slammed doors. She has actually got worse since then.
    - Has never worked anywhere else and Daddy has kept her in a job
    - I am just keeping quiet for the moment and waiting to increase my profit share/equity in the business and then I will start making her life a misery (well actually telling her to do her job) and she can **** right off out the door. She doesn't even cover her cost to the business- no loss.

For the moment we just ignore each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I've seen it in a previous company that I worked in where anyone who was a parent was given huge levels of favoritism compared to those that didn't have kids. It was actually so well known around the town that I know someone who planned to move to that company after finishing her maternity leave in another company just to specifically avail of the perks. It got to the point where one or two would cite imaginary dentist appointments or parent teacher meetings if they wanted to take the morning off as they knew it wouldn't be challenged.

Don't get me wrong, its a good thing when companies are family-friendly and try to accommodate parents who might have to do school runs etc, but what annoyed people was the expectation that the rest of us had pick up the slack by staying back late to make up for the parents who regularly got to leave early. In the managers eyes anybody who didn't have kids obviously had nothing important in their lives and therefore nothing better to be doing than staying back late.

It wasn't the reason I left the company and it didn't affect me as much as in other departments, but from what I could see it did cause quite a bit of resentment.

Maybe they are fcuking each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Kind of sounds like my place where favoritism is shocking.

The said favorite in my work place gets everything she asks for and more. If you quastion it God help you and and I mean it.

- This person was two and a half hours late to work, hours weren't deducted.
    - We are on the exact same contract employed to do the same job yet they are upstairs sitting with management doing their job for them.

- Gets to attend all the events we have in our company while I'm not allowed.
    - I'm nearly sure this person is on more money than me but that cant be confirmed so doesn't really count.
    - Has very handy hours, leaves work at 15:30 while I have to stay until 18:00.
    - Gets flown abroad to attend meetings they are not qualified for (I am)
    - and many, many more

a. Have you seen their contract
    b. How do you know their hours were not deducted? Are you sure they had permission or had rang in to say they would be late.
    c. Speculating on more money? Again, you do not know that but still willing to mention it

OP....an awful lot of speculation going on here.

I am quite willing to suggest that you do not have the full picture and your imagination is running away with you.

You would be better advised to concentrate on your own job. It is none of your business. You are not employed or paid to spy and analysis other employees.

You are not doing yourself any favours whatsoever. Trust me on that- I am an employer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

I am getting my willy chopped off, growing boobs and calling myself a lady.

That's how you get promoted.

Mod:
    The user has received a long ban for this post; we expect a higher standard of posting in W&J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    I am getting my willy chopped off, growing boobs and calling myself a lady.

That's how you get promoted.

🙄 I mean...global statistics on the gender/maternity pay gap and imbalance in the number of women at c-level and above prove otherwise...

But I would gladly assist you in chopping your willy off given your attitude. Anything for a good cause 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look, really its about nailing down why they're the favourite before you decide it's unfair.

There are two polar examples given on this thread. One is a family member of management who is taking the piss. That's unfair on everyone else.

The other is someone who is friendly with management, diligent and honest. The other staff resent him for being a "snitch". But this isn't unfair. This employee is being treated better because he doesn't treat the workplace like school, and he doesn't act like a bold child hiding from the teachers (management).

I cannot imagine the frustration of being a manager who has adult members of staff who act like children in school. That one employee who isn't like the rest would absolutely be treated better.

Advertisement