Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due May 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

When the first set of bloods are taken I was told that I was rhesus negative so got the anti D jab during the pregnancy and when baby was born.

Second pregnancy now so does anyone know if I need to get it earlier this time round?

I saw some things online saying 28 weeks but this seems late. I am on my second pregnancy but miscarried my first at 10 weeks (silent MC at 6.5 weeks) so no idea if this counts as second pregnancy or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 What_to_do999

So sorry to hear what you went through, can't have been easy. I'm only 5 weeks and I am definitely nervous. Had an ectopic before so very much alive to how things aren't always plain sailing. Have to keep optimistic though.
    Due to see the GP next week so will ask about the anti D jab then

So sorry to hear what you went through, can't have been easy. I'm only 5 weeks and I am definitely nervous. Had an ectopic before so very much alive to how things aren't always plain sailing. Have to keep optimistic though.
    Due to see the GP next week so will ask about the anti D jab then

Yes, it does make us more wary. I will definitely do things differently this time - won't be telling people until 12 weeks and no shopping for baby clothes early on! I am sorry you had to go through an ectopic :(

Fingers crossed for all of us on the thread! :) Will have GP visit next week too so will ask then also! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Your booking visit at 12 weeks will cover all those questions, they will ask about any previous pregnancies and that.Bloods are taken, I imagine rhesus is a routine screen but mention it in case.They do a fairly extensive family history and medical background check in that first visit in my experience anyway.

shesty wrote: »
    Your booking visit at 12 weeks will cover all those questions, they will ask about any previous pregnancies and that.Bloods are taken, I imagine rhesus is a routine screen but mention it in case.They do a fairly extensive family history and medical background check in that first visit in my experience anyway.
    Can I ask where you went or is that against thread rules? Only I remember the one I went to was quite dismissive. The only test he did was urine one, and told me to ring Rotunda and register "because it was nearest my work" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 baemayexcited

Hi all - positive pregnancy test here yesterday morning and as I was off work I went straight to the doc for confirmation. Just over 4 weeks gone with an estimated due date of May 28th. First pregnancy so very excited and nervous!! Going to go semi private in the Coombe. Had to tell my family the news as I have a friends wedding this week and I would have hated if one of the girls guessed before I got a chance to tell my family - plus I need their help disguising the fact I wont be drinking!! I've also booked an 8 week scan for the 19th October in babyscan out in Swords just to put my mind at ease! Will be a long 4 weeks before that rolls around though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Hi all - positive pregnancy test here yesterday morning and as I was off work I went straight to the doc for confirmation. Just over 4 weeks gone with an estimated due date of May 28th. First pregnancy so very excited and nervous!! Going to go semi private in the Coombe. Had to tell my family the news as I have a friends wedding this week and I would have hated if one of the girls guessed before I got a chance to tell my family - plus I need their help disguising the fact I wont be drinking!! I've also booked an 8 week scan for the 19th October in babyscan out in Swords just to put my mind at ease! Will be a long 4 weeks before that rolls around though!

Congrats to you !

congratulations! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Antares35 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you went or is that against thread rules? Only I remember the one I went to was quite dismissive. The only test he did was urine one, and told me to ring Rotunda and register "because it was nearest my work" :pac:

Was that the GP that said that?Your booking visit is with your hospital, at about 12 weeks.Rotunda was mine.

shesty wrote: »
    Was that the GP that said that?Your booking visit is with your hospital, at about 12 weeks.Rotunda was mine.

Yes, though it was well before the 12 week visit, which I didn't make it to in the end. I have heard good things about the Rotunda though, so I think I might go with them this time :)

• Advertisement

I found them very good but to be honest you just want to be looked after and you hear good and bad about all of them.Wherever is convenient for you is best, think about the potential drive in when you are in labour.

There is not much parking in the Rotunda but you can park in the UGC cinema carpark (or whatever it is now) and the security guard in the Rotunda will clip your ticket so your parking fees are only about 6 eur no matter how long you are in the hospital.(obviously when in labour you get dropped at the door!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

Same due date as me! Also thinking semi private in the Coombe. The only thing putting me off is the distance from where I live, with rush hour traffic it wouldn't be ideal! But I think I'd prefer to go there rather that my closest hospital which I haven't heard great things about.

Are you ladies thinking of doing an early scan? Thinking of going around the week 8 mark as I'm off on two weeks holidays after that so would be nice to have some reassurance....

Pixie8 wrote: »
    Same due date as me! Also thinking semi private in the Coombe. The only thing putting me off is the distance from where I live, with rush hour traffic it wouldn't be ideal! But I think I'd prefer to go there rather that my closest hospital which I haven't heard great things about.

Are you ladies thinking of doing an early scan? Thinking of going around the week 8 mark as I'm off on two weeks holidays after that so would be nice to have some reassurance....

I'm in two minds about it but I think I probably will go for one at what I calculate to be nine weeks, just so that I can be sure of my dates. I had come off the pill and I think skipped a cycle. Going by "LMP" I would be 10 weeks now, but was testing negative right up until a few days before my positive, so am fairly certain it's not that far along.

I started back at part time study this week and have realised that our second semester exams will take place 10 days before my due date, but I will soldier on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

I started back at part time study this week and have realised that our second semester exams will take place 10 days before my due date, but I will soldier on! :D

The same here. I am on week 9 now. Due date is 7th of May and now I am back to college, doing another degree. Do not know yet how will I manage doing this, as the exams will have be probably beginning of May.

My next scan / visit in Coombe is on 14th of October and counting down days. I am worried if everything is fine. Also tomorrow I suppose to go home for couple of days but my Doctor advised me to do not fly in 1st trimester. Such a pitty :(

elizunia87 wrote: »
    The same here. I am on week 9 now. Due date is 7th of May and now I am back to college, doing another degree. Do not know yet how will I manage doing this, as the exams will have be probably beginning of May.

My next scan / visit in Coombe is on 14th of October and counting down days. I am worried if everything is fine. Also tomorrow I suppose to go home for couple of days but my Doctor advised me to do not fly in 1st trimester. Such a pitty :(

Oh no that is a pity. I always thought it was just the last trimester that you couldn't fly :( If it is true that we usually go over on the first, then you might be ok for the exams. Otherwise, is there an option to defer?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Congrats! I hope everything goes well with your scan!
    Did your GP give you an reason why you can't fly? I flew in my first trimester on my last pregnancy and I know a lot of mums who've flow up to 36 weeks. (After 28weeks you usually need a letter, depends on the airline)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I flew in my first trimester on my first as well. I did a lot research at the time to see if there were any recommendations not too but couldn’t find any reliable source saying not too. There only advice was that you may not feel up to it because of morning sickness etc.

I am flying at the end of the month when I will be 11 + 6
    I said it to my midwife and she said that should be fine but she has asked me to come in 2 days before hand just to check my BP

Has anyone else experienced coldness? I thought that being warmer than usual was a symptom but lately, I just cannot get warm. Last night I had the fire blazing and had PJs and a dressing gown on and still could not get warm. I don't think it is low iron as I am on a pregnancy supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Thanks for replay.
    On my first scan my doctor said travelling flying on 1st trimester is not recomedable but I will do as I like. I think I am a bit dramatic.
    That's why I decided to not to fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Has anyone else experienced coldness? I thought that being warmer than usual was a symptom but lately, I just cannot get warm. Last night I had the fire blazing and had PJs and a dressing gown on and still could not get warm. I don't think it is low iron as I am on a pregnancy supplement.

I am the same, Cannot warm up at all. Usually in the evenings I am wrapped in my dressing gown with a hot water bottle while my OH is roasted at home. Quite frustrating.

Thanks for replay.
    On my first scan my doctor said travelling flying on 1st trimester is not recomedable but I will do as I like. I think I am a bit dramatic.
    That's why I decided to not to fly.

That's a strange one, I'm pretty sure that's not standard advice but I would be the same if my Dr told me something like that. I don't think you are being dramatic following your Dr's advice. Hope you are feeling ok.

Same here re the coldness have a constant chill,(just feeling like I am on the verge of a cold all the time) its pretty hot where I am so it must be pregnancy related. I don't remember the the coldness from last time but I had a dreadful UTI at this stage so i might have put it down to that. I am completely exhausted, by the time i get home i need to lie down and with a 3 year its not usually possible! I'm in bed by 9. Nausea starting to kick in now too! All the good stuff! lol

Girl in work who sits right opposite me had a chest infection and a cert for last week but came in anyway
    I got my flu injection last Friday
    Husband had a cold at the weekend and now I cannot stop sneezing am full of aches and pains and watery eyes.
    All the good stuff :D
    I miss Lemsip....

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Girl in work who sits right opposite me had a chest infection and a cert for last week but came in anyway
    Husband had a cold at the weekend and now I cannot stop sneezing am full of aches and pains and watery eyes.
    I miss Lemsip....

I hate heroes when we are trying to avoid sickness! :(

Must get the flu jab, thanks for the reminder.

Can I ask generally, does anyone have any recommendations for a GP in Dublin? I think I had a bad experience on my last pregnancy with the GP I attended - he literally just weighed me and told me to call the Rotunda. But all the online articles and books I read say that at the first check, they should do a rake of tests including Rhesus factor, blood pressure etc. There was no mention of any of those where I went. He also charged even though my understanding is that it should be covered.

Can I ask generally, does anyone have any recommendations for a GP in Dublin? I think I had a bad experience on my last pregnancy with the GP I attended - he literally just weighed me and told me to call the Rotunda. But all the online articles and books I read say that at the first check, they should do a rake of tests including Rhesus factor, blood pressure etc. There was no mention of any of those where I went. He also charged even though my understanding is that it should be covered.

I know I was like seriously when she came back in!
    Im not based in Dublin but at my first appointment I had a very detailed exam took my BP, listened to my heart beat, asked if smear up to date, checked breasts for any lumps, felt my stomach and a few other bits.
    Is that GP signed up for the maternity scheme?
    Not all of them are?
    I paid for mine then got a refund on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 KettleMH

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I miss Lemsip....

I got a really bad sinus and chest infection too after being surrounded by sickies. Doc prescribed old school antibiotic Penicillin for it and it's just about cleared up after 11 days! I've to get the Flu injection too as soon as I'm better.

Does anyone know how long the 12 week appointment lasts? Do you bring hubby with you? Won't be having an ultrasound apparently so don't know if he needs to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pearlll

Was that the visit to confirm you were pregnant? If so I paid as Well. My gp weighed me and sent a form to my hospital. Literally a 5 minute visit. What about others? Do u pay for that early 4-6 week visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Nottellingyet

Hi, popped in from the April 2020 thread. Your first visit isnt covered, all your subsequent visits are. At my GP visit she took blood pressure, checked a urine sample for indication of UTI and took my details to send to the hospital. She also felt my abdomen after I mentioned I had cramping. Tbh there isnt a massive amount done at this appointment and if they are your normal GP they will have your medical history to hand. That said, if you're not happy i would certainly move as you have quite a way to go and you will be with them for post natal care so best to be sure you're comfortable with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Orange369

Joining in here girls after stalking the last few weeks! Had an early scan this morning and got to see little heart beating away, such a relief after 2 missed miscarriages so I was reluncant to post until I got my scan. 4th pregnancy and 2nd baby due May 2020 fingers crossed. One happy healthy daughter whos almost one! Hope everyone is keeping well

Advertisement