Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due May 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Semi-private seems to be in some hospitals only, especially in Dublin.It just means you pay approx 1100eur, depending on the hospital;you are in a smaller ward 3/4 beds, rather than the big public wards and you have your appointments in the private clinic.Your consultant will probably not attend the birth (depending on your hospital and how they run their semi private scheme), whereas they do in the private scheme.

Note that if you go private/semi private or public, you will give birth in the same set of rooms as everyone else - i.e. hospitals only have one set of delivery rooms for all mothers, they do not have separate delivery rooms for private or semi-private patients.You will also be attended by whatever midwives and doctors are on duty (unless you go fully private, when your consultant will also attend). It is only the appointments beforehand and the wards afterwards that are separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eved3

Hi Blingy,

Congrats!! :)

Do not know my consultant yet as just contacted the hospital. I have a 5 week scan next week in the Rotunda though so cannot wait for that but then I hear the next scan is at 20 weeks, have you got your scan date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hi Girls,

I just received the letter from the the Coombe. My appointment in the hospital and scan will be 14th of October (11th week of pregnancy). Another appointment (do not know for exactly what on 22nd November).
    Not bad.
    Since there is no big difference between public and semi private I go public. How about you Girls?

Eved 3 will you go private to do the scan ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

eved3 wrote: »
    Hi Blingy,

Congrats!! :)

Do not know my consultant yet as just contacted the hospital. I have a 5 week scan next week in the Rotunda though so cannot wait for that but then I hear the next scan is at 20 weeks, have you got your scan date yet?

You should have a booking appointment at 12 weeks in the Rotunda, then a 20 week scan.I think there is a 16 week GP visit on the list but I often missed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

All week I’ve been tired, feeling a “stretching” feeling in my stomach, slightly sick and acid reflux.
    Today I’ve had nothing
    So now I’m worried 🙄
    Who knew I’d be complaining about feeling “normal”? 🙉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

dragonfly! wrote: »
    All week I’ve been tired, feeling a “stretching” feeling in my stomach, slightly sick and acid reflux.
    Today I’ve had nothing
    So now I’m worried 🙄
    Who knew I’d be complaining about feeling “normal”? 🙉

Yep I panic the same. I'm 10 weeks and Tuesday was the first day I felt normal for a few weeks and then I panicked!!

Yep I panic the same. I'm 10 weeks and Tuesday was the first day I felt normal for a few weeks and then I panicked!!

I really regret googling this too 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi Ladies,

Congrats, hope everyone is feeling well!
    I got a positive test today & yesterday. 4wks 2days Feeling excited but very nervous, 4th pregnancy, hopefully 2nd baby. My little fella is 3 and this one is due a few days after his 4th birthday.
    Its taken almost 2 years to get here and a lots of tests and a few rounds of clomid, but skipped a month due to travel and it happened naturally. Msg'd my Dr and she wants to see me at 7 weeks.
    I'm Irish and living in Dubai so all a bit different for me on dr/hospital side of things.

wuffly wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

I got a positive test today & yesterday. 4wks 2days Feeling excited but very nervous, 4th pregnancy, hopefully 2nd baby. My little fella is 3 and this one is due a few days after his 4th birthday.
    Its taken almost 2 years to get here and a lots of tests and a few rounds of clomid, but skipped a month due to travel and it happened naturally. Msg'd my Dr and she wants to see me at 7 weeks.
    I'm Irish and living in Dubai so all a bit different for me on dr/hospital side of things.

Oh congrats and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PBandNutella

Hi Ladies,

Congrats Wuffly, will be interesting to hear your perspective of maternity care in Dubai. Keep us updated :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Ladies, I had my first here as well, so I hopefully know what to expect. Its all private health care (provided by your employer) here which has its good and bad points. The facilities are excellent but it can be a very money orientated set up depending on your dr, lots of unnecessary scans and tests if you have good insurance that will pay. My previous Dr had trained in Ireland and the UK so she didn't do too much of this. I have a different Dr this time as my insurance changed. My insurance is due to expire 2 days after I'm due and last time I was 12 days over, hopefully my company renew it on time(they usually let it lapse for a few weeks:eek:) or this one isn't so late! The other main difference is mat leave is 45days(calendar days). Anyway those are all worries for down the line!
    Hope everyone is feeling well? Mostly just feeling very tired so far!

Thanks Ladies, I had my first here as well, so I hopefully know what to expect. Its all private health care (provided by your employer) here which has its good and bad points. The facilities are excellent but it can be a very money orientated set up depending on your dr, lots of unnecessary scans and tests if you have good insurance that will pay. My previous Dr had trained in Ireland and the UK so she didn't do too much of this. I have a different Dr this time as my insurance changed. My insurance is due to expire 2 days after I'm due and last time I was 12 days over, hopefully my company renew it on time(they usually let it lapse for a few weeks:eek:) or this one isn't so late! The other main difference is mat leave is 45days(calendar days). Anyway those are all worries for down the line!
    Hope everyone is feeling well? Mostly just feeling very tired so far!

45 days?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Due May 22nd (I think!)

45 days?!

Yep, apparently its to make sure women aren't disadvantaged in the workforce :eek: (cough cough BS!) Bizarrely on the other hand the law requires you to breastfeed for 2 years - not remotely enforced, although you are entitled to two 30min bf breaks for 18months....
    Between annual leave and some unpaid leave I managed to get 4 months last time. I'm working in a different company now so I don't know what/if I will get much more. Don't want to worry about it just yet.

Yep, apparently its to make sure women aren't disadvantaged in the workforce :eek: (cough cough BS!) Bizarrely on the other hand the law requires you to breastfeed for 2 years - not remotely enforced, although you are entitled to two 30min bf breaks for 18months....
    Between annual leave and some unpaid leave I managed to get 4 months last time. I'm working in a different company now so I don't know what/if I will get much more. Don't want to worry about it just yet.

:eek:

Does anyone know when the earliest they can scan is? I'm six weeks tomorrow. On my last pregnancy (which sadly ended in miscarriage) I had my first at I think 10 weeks. Didn't realise you could have them earlier, which would be amazing! The OH is not fully on board at this stage - feeling super lonely. I don't know if a scan would get him a bit excited about the whole thing. The ultrasound suite just off Grafton street were quite good from what I recall. :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the earliest they can scan is? I'm six weeks tomorrow. On my last pregnancy (which sadly ended in miscarriage) I had my first at I think 10 weeks. Didn't realise you could have them earlier, which would be amazing! The OH is not fully on board at this stage - feeling super lonely. I don't know if a scan would get him a bit excited about the whole thing. The ultrasound suite just off Grafton street were quite good from what I recall. :)

I'm pretty sure you can have a private scan as early as you want.
    I had an internal scan at 4/5 weeks with my son. They could see the sac.

I'm pretty sure you can have a private scan as early as you want.
    I had an internal scan at 4/5 weeks with my son. They could see the sac.

Great, thanks :)

Anyone else have really bad tiredness? Mine tends to come on in the evenings, which I can't complain about I suppose as can still get the work done and walk dog before collapsing. All I am fit for after 8pm is cheese and crackers in bed watching Call the Midwife! :p

Antares35 wrote: »

I went for a scan on Tue this week when I was 6.5 weeks
    I went to my gynecologist and she did a transvaginal scan
    Could see the little heart beating sooo cute
    BUT it did cost me €210 as she charges €160 for a "consultation" and €50 for the scan

I had been looking at the ultrasound suite on Grafton St you mentioned above and im kind of raging I didnt just go there thats €99 and I could have got €30 back on my health insurance

I went for a scan on Tue this week when I was 6.5 weeks
    I went to my gynecologist and she did a transvaginal scan
    Could see the little heart beating sooo cute
    BUT it did cost me €210 as she charges €160 for a "consultation" and €50 for the scan

I had been looking at the ultrasound suite on Grafton St you mentioned above and im kind of raging I didnt just go there thats €99 and I could have got €30 back on my health insurance

:o So worth it for that!

Edit: have just noticed on their website that they now require referral from a GP. I definitely do not remember needing a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I had an appointment with the ultrasound suite at 8 weeks. It was worth it. I didn't know I could get money back from health insurance, I'll check that out.

The referral letter is obly for certain scans. Not for early pregnancy.

Very unlikely you will see a heartbeat at 4/5 weeks.Better to wait til 7/8 weeks to be honest.They will probably tell you to come back then anyway as they can't tell you much before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

Hi all,
    New to this. Expecting our first in May (we think...).

We are going to go public as neither of us ever got around to sorting health insurance. I’ve read mixed reviews on all types of care - public, semi and private. Anyone on here previously gone public?

Also not sure what hospital to go with.....dunno what makes one better or worse than another. We haven’t told any family or friends yet so can ask them for reviews or opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Hi Girls

I heard the heart beat on the week 6th (5+4)
    Paid 80€ for my scan (pm me if you want details). Now is 8th week, I found myself sick , with temperature. Hopefully I will get better soon.
    I have nausea sometimes, today almost fainted. Not nice at all. Can not eat like I used to eat. Hate now eggs and chicken breast, love bread with cheese and ketchup :) And I could sleep all day long :)

Girl could you explain me how is the situation with the maternity leave. There is 26 weeks and then I heard something for 9 months paid around 200€ / per weeks from your contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Girl could you explain me how is the situation with the maternity leave. There is 26 weeks and then I heard something for 9 months paid around 200€ / per weeks from your contributions?

It’s 26 weeks paid (statutory paid at 240 euro before tax unless your company tops up) and option to take an additional 16 weeks unpaid.

Dahdum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    New to this. Expecting our first in May (we think...).

We are going to go public as neither of us ever got around to sorting health insurance. I’ve read mixed reviews on all types of care - public, semi and private. Anyone on here previously gone public?

Also not sure what hospital to go with.....dunno what makes one better or worse than another. We haven’t told any family or friends yet so can ask them for reviews or opinions.

We are going public too. I am not sure about the hospital either. I have heard different stories but all anecdotal I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pixie8

Joining here too- got my positive test on Friday, think I'm 4 weeks and a few days. Delighted! Undecided on which hospital and whether to go public or semi private. When do you usually have to decide by and get your forms in?

Also trying to switch GPs as I've moved house in the last year and figure it makes more sense to have my Gp closer to home rather than work. Unfortunately all are full near me so hopefully I can join a waiting list and get assigned a GP quickly. Wish id organised this before now but wasnt even thinking of it!

Pixie8 wrote: »
    Joining here too- got my positive test on Friday, think I'm 4 weeks and a few days. Delighted! Undecided on which hospital and whether to go public or semi private. When do you usually have to decide by and get your forms in?

Also trying to switch GPs as I've moved house in the last year and figure it makes more sense to have my Gp closer to home rather than work. Unfortunately all are full near me so hopefully I can join a waiting list and get assigned a GP quickly. Wish id organised this before now but wasnt even thinking of it!

Congratulations :) I think you decide on the first GP appointment, as far as I can recall anyway. Same boat, can't decide on hospital. Anything I have heard about them has been anecdotal - I wish there was some kind of official assessment of each one!

Does anyone know if the Rhesus screening is carried out as standard? Or if it is something that we need to push for ourselves or seek out privately? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 What_to_do999

When the first set of bloods are taken I was told that I was rhesus negative so got the anti D jab during the pregnancy and when baby was born.

Second pregnancy now so does anyone know if I need to get it earlier this time round?

Advertisement